cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Touch pad keyless entry for $80

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and like to hike, bike ride and swim and wanted a way to get in our Motorhome without have to carry a key.

I Looked in to upgrading the TriMark lock with one like found on million dollar coaches, The parts list quickly ran over $1500 and I still did have everything I needed and installation look like a total disassembly job include pulling the door frame out.

I bought a touch pad RVLock but it would not work as the existing Trimark has 2 latches on at the lock and on up higher on the door, so I put the RVLock in my car hauling trailer and went back to drawing board. One thing I did not like about the RVLock I installed on the Trailer is if I forgot it was locked and tried to open it, the door would pop out and the deadbolt would bind and the electric mechanism couldnโ€™t open the door till I pushed hard and relatched the door something my DW Couldnโ€™t do.

So I went to Lowes and looked at house door touchpads out of all of the locks they had only one still worked after being on display for months. And it had a manual draw and extension of the dead bolt so it look like it was the one for me. It was over $100 at Lowes but I found it one sale on Amazon for $79. I order on now how to make it work with the RV door.

First I thought about removing the screen door as we didnโ€™t use it very often but I hated to do this but it would give me plenty of places to mount the deadbolt. I looked in the cutting door somewhere in the screen door but I didnโ€™t really care for this as the current latch in in the correct place, any higher it would be a pain from the outside and lower it would be a pain from the inside.

I knew where I want to put it but the screen door latch was right in the way. I looked a relocating the screen door latch but didnโ€™t see any good alternatives.

Then I noticed if I just moved to back from the edge farther it would work. So all I needed to do was extend the deadbolt 6 or so inches. I decide to do this with a 5/16โ€ grade 8 bolt it would be stronger that the pot metal 1โ€ bolt it was using stock. I had a 6โ€ bolt but not a 6.5 inch bolt so I put it in the lathe and turned off the head, (if I had a 6.5โ€ I could have just sawed it off.). I drilled and taped the 1โ€ deadbolt of the lock and tapped it to accept the bolt. Then it was just a matter of making some steel guard plates and drilling and mounting the lock on the door.

It came out well and works great, easy to use from the inside and the outside. So for $80 a few scraps of steel and a bolt I got the touch pad door lock I wanted.

Pictures below in replay.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373
16 REPLIES 16

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
If it doesnt open for some reason,
You tube has a vid on how to bypass it in less than 30 seconds...
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did pretty much the same thing, but it only cost $30 and took about 10 seconds.

Master Key Safe from Lowes

I put whatever keys I want inside and lock it onto anything, anywhere I want / need.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
The same if I came back and my key didn't work or broke off in the lock. I would locate my hidden basement compartment key get out a drill and get in the coach.

But the above comments about lock are correct it has external contacts. I figure if it is going to break it will break when being slammed and somehow jarred, and you used the system to lock the door after it has been closed, no movement till you open it.

See the two contacts below the knob, they are even sized to fit a 9 volt battery
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Just curious...You come home from your hike or whatever, you punch in the code and the door doesn't open. What do you do?

I just looked up the instruction manual and there are emergency jump start contacts just below the keypad.

You connect a fresh 9 volt battery and the door can be opened with the pass code.

I have similar locks on my home and love them. No reason to ever leave the house unlocked even when gone for a short time.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Schlage claims a 9V battery lasts two years, so the chances of getting locked out are pretty slim. I'd imagine the response would be the same as if the RV lock failed (as some of the Trimark locks are known to do sometimes)--you'd have to break in through a window or something, assuming there isn't another (driver's?) door.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious...You come home from your hike or whatever, you punch in the code and the door doesn't open. What do you do?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I held the indoor lock up to where it cleared everything and was accessible through the screen-door opening. Marked the center, drilled an 1/8 hole all the way though the door to the outside used a level to project the center over to the door edge. the only issue I ran in to was the outside door frame was not designed so I could drill a 1" hole to put the deadbolt in, the way the aluminum was extruded, maybe could have drimmeled it out, but I just took the rod out of the deadbolt and put the dead bolt though the lock mechanism hole and them screwed the rod back in the deadbolt. Other than the edges all that was inside the door was foam.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome job. How did you know exactly where to cut the hole? I'd be intimidated that I'd hit something. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey - that is a real nice mod! No one can say you could get in with only a screwdriver with this installed.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer

Deadbolt marked for drilling and tapping.

Steel re-enforcement plate made 2 one for door and one for jam

Cutting hole in door

Shows how bolt will be screwed in to deadbolt

Door drilled, ready for instalation
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job, I like it.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N12FO0A/ref=twister_B00NEGLSXA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No longer on sale. I wish they would have had the squared off one when I ordered mine, I would have gone with that.

I can post more construction pictures if someone requests them.

We like the fact that you can lock it without entering the code when unlocked just press the Schlage logo and lock it, when locked press the Schlage logo and it lights up.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
Still can't get the pictures right so I'll try them here as a reply.

Click For Full-Size Image.

outside

inside

Deadbolt

night
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN