cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bags/Blue Ox Hitch - Okay?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Last August, we lost our FW in a fire, and decided to a move to a TT in October. The primary reason for a TT was that we wanted to mount a fishing boat on top of the truck.

I purchased a '16 F350, and paired it with a Grand Design 297RSTS which runs a little under 10K pounds, and has a tongue weight of about 1,075# when fully loaded. I am using a Blue Ox 1,500# Sway Pro hitch and we have absolutely zero sway while towing! The load spring bars do a nice job of leveling the truck and trailer. But one thing I notice is a lot of bouncing when we hit a bump. It takes quite a few oscillations before the F350's shocks dampen the motion. So here's the questions:

1. Has anyone used Airbags with a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch?
2. If so, did you experience any detrimental effects such as reduced sway control?
3. Will air bags help dampen the bouncing we experience on rough roads?

Thanks much,

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
11 REPLIES 11

sunofabeach
Explorer
Explorer
a set of good rear shocks should solve that "porpoising" problem you have.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
TheGatherer wrote:
I bought a 'new' TT last year and bought a Blue Ox hitch for it... following the 'instructions' and the 'YouTube university' instructions I deflated my Firestone bags to set up the height and 'sag' for the bars (10k bars).. The only thing is... I have a 70gal tank in the back of the Pickup and the assorted other loads in the bed.. I did set up the hitch as/per the specs, but it was about 1" high and not enough load on the bars.. so, I inflated my air bags to the psi I usually run with and lowered the ball 1".. then raising the elec (thank God)winch I tightened the chains to 6 links (your link count may vary) and it loaded the bars, stopped the sway ( and the Blue Ox is 'self correcting... it moves back to 'inline' some of the others stay where they are in a turn)and though I had to 'tweek' the settings because of the air bags and the P/U load I can't say enough good about the Blue Ox Sway Pro...

That's really good information. I have absolutely no sway at all, just those two or three big oscillations every time I encounter a good bump or dip.

Jim

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 'new' TT last year and bought a Blue Ox hitch for it... following the 'instructions' and the 'YouTube university' instructions I deflated my Firestone bags to set up the height and 'sag' for the bars (10k bars).. The only thing is... I have a 70gal tank in the back of the Pickup and the assorted other loads in the bed.. I did set up the hitch as/per the specs, but it was about 1" high and not enough load on the bars.. so, I inflated my air bags to the psi I usually run with and lowered the ball 1".. then raising the elec (thank God)winch I tightened the chains to 6 links (your link count may vary) and it loaded the bars, stopped the sway ( and the Blue Ox is 'self correcting... it moves back to 'inline' some of the others stay where they are in a turn)and though I had to 'tweek' the settings because of the air bags and the P/U load I can't say enough good about the Blue Ox Sway Pro...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
They are the OEM shocks from Ford with about 6,500 miles on the truck now. And yes, I carry quite a bit of weight in the bed of the truck. That's why I purchased an F350 to give me that kind of payload.
The shocks should be OK for awhile. I notice that my F250 rides better with some weight in the bed.

There are some roads out there, especially Interstates, where truck traffic creates a dip and peak situation. It can cause a lot of bounce and oscillation when towing.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
A better idea may be Timbrens or Firestone Work Rites. They only engage when you need them. Their progressive designs make them self adjusting so there's no fooling with them for different loads. I have Work Rites and use them with my Blue OX with the 1,500 lbs bars. I haven't noticed any reduction in performance. I chose the Work Rites because lots of people report that their Timbrens get very stiff in the cold. The Work Rites are made from a different material that stays flexible even in the negative temps.

Also you could look into new shocks. Sometimes OEM shocks are not the greatest. I switched a basically new pair of OEM shocks for Bilsteins and the difference was night and day. The Bilsteins did a much better job of quickly catching the oscillation and stopping them.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Airbags won't reduce the bounce you are experiencing. In fact, they can make it worse because they have less resistance to rebound that leaf springs.

You really need better shocks. Good Monotube ones. I run KYBs. Bilsteins are good too. Make a world of difference for heavy TTs.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same setup (Blue Ox 1500). My TT tongue weight is about 1300 lbs which represents, I believe about 14 percent of my total weight (9200 lbs loaded).

If your TT runs just under 10K loaded, and your tongue weight is only 1075, You're at 10 percent or less. You should be closer to 13-14 percent. I don't know if 10 percent TW contributes to the bounce you are getting or not. I will say when I get on uneven concrete roads that create the porpoise effect, it takes about two 'porpoises' to settle down. That's not bounce, and happens infrequently.

Try increasing tongue weight.. maybe that will help.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
They are the OEM shocks from Ford with about 6,500 miles on the truck now. And yes, I carry quite a bit of weight in the bed of the truck. That's why I purchased an F350 to give me that kind of payload.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look at new shocks before air bags, if you are bouncing like you posted.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What shock absorbers do you have on the truck? Do you carry any weight in the truck bed?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a TT but I have towed my daughters 36' TT a few times and didn't notice it towing any different and I have firestone air bags
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD