cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me choose boondocking/national park TT

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
We gave our PUP to family this summer. It couldn't handle the road miles anymore and needed to be relegated to local camping. We have wanted to upgrade to a TT for a while, but the time is getting close. I moved up to a F-250 gasser so I'm good on any TT in consideration for my needs so that isn't an issue.

We've always camped national parks and prefer rustic and dry camped occassionally with the PUP but no boondocking. I was transferred to AZ this year and now boondocking on public land is at my finger tips. I've discovered the washboard roads at Kofa Wildline Refuge and other similiar areas so I know I need a stout trailer.

Only brands we are considering are Northwood and Outdoors RV. I relocate every few years with work so I need to consider more than just wide open camping in the West.

How long is too long? I have no desire to go over 30' (hitch to ladder) but is that already too long?

For those familiar with Outdoors RV, how much bettter is the Black Rock line for washboard roads and camping on public lands?

For Northwood, is Nash up to the task or stick to Arctic Fox? Nash has a better selection of shorter TTs.

Family of four. Two adults, two older teens (14 and 17). Sleeping quarters for teens is what keeps pushing me from 25' to 28-30'. Love that picture window on the back as well which limits options.

The decision is all about opporutunity costs: picture window, short length for boondocking and old public parks, access to bathroom with slide in, sleeping accoodations for teens, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated or if I'm missing a manufacturer that belongs in the discussion.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have not heard any bad reviews of Nash travel trailers and have heard lots of good reviews of Northwood quality. And you can option a Nash to get the same 4-season livability as the other Northwood trailers.

Our trailer has exactly the same floorplan and the GVWR is within 200 lbs. of the Nash 26N, but is 3' shorter due to being a 5th wheel. We love our floorplan for the same reasons you mentioned--length appropriate for NPS and USFS campgrounds, all weather and boondocking capability (AC/propane fridge, thermopane windows, two 12v Fantastic fans, 12v tank heaters, duct-heated basement, LED lights, 2-30-lb. propane cylinders, lots of basement storage, etc.), and a nice, big rear picture window. It also has the 25N's split bath, which is very nice when we are getting ready in the morning and would be an absolute necessity if we had two teenagers with us. We have also added 2-6v AGM batteries and a 235w solar panel to make it even more "boondockable" (did I just invent a new word?).

The downside with our floorplan for you would be converting the sofa and dinette to beds for the kids every day. And our sofa is likely too short for a teenage boy. So, the Nash 25C bunkhouse floorplan might be easier for you now, but you would have to give up the rear picture window and the dinette may not really be comfortable as the only seating area for a family of 4. However, at 28' 8", it is within the range you mentioned for convenient national park/forest camping.

The 25C floorplan is very similar to our previous travel trailer (although we had no bunk beds)--a Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S. But that trailer got a little too claustrophobic, even with just my wife and me in it, during our 3-month trip to Alaska. So, we found, just as you did with your previous RV, that upgrading for differing family conditions and desires tends to just be part of the RV lifestyle. No one RV can fit every situation.

Have fun shopping for that perfect RV and even more fun camping in it! And especially enjoy camping with your kids because they don't live at home forever (says a father with a grown son living 8,000 miles away).
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the AF 26x I don't know if the X stands for expedition but it should. Here is why I liked it. The slide gives lots of room. But when you're on the road and stop for potty or lunch you still
have good access without opening the slide. Plenty of storage, dining room table instead of dinette. Check out the fresh and waste water storage a lot bigger than
any other trailer it's size great for boondocking. Big fridge, front kitchen gives lots of cooking room away from seating. It would my choice. Small enough for some of the tight sites at state and federal campgrounds.great Northwoods quality.
Jesseannie

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck!
F-250 6.2 Gasser

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I know what I want and it ain't the Montana I have now. I haven't broken this news to the Secretary of the Treasury yet though.
Quality.
C'mon stock market, don't stall on me now.
http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv_travel_trailers_2500_series.html
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
F-250 is a 2012, 6.2 V-8 gasser, 3.73 gears. 10,000 GVWR with 7200 dry weight on full tank of gas. 12,200 tow rating.

I haven't heard of KZ. I'll do more research. Also hoping to pick up a 2012-2016 to avoid at least some of the depreciation so the more models that make my short list, the more likely I am to find one used within 250-500 miles.

I really like the floorplan of the Arctic Fox 24Y but it's 30' and I really think my target is 24-26'. 20' might be short even for wife and I. She doesn't like the fold down beds that most shorter TT's have. I looked at Murphy models but you lose the passthrough storage although as long as I stick with a TT, I have tons of storage in the bed of my truck (8' full bed).

Definitely better towing capacity than our '99.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
F-250 is a 2012, 6.2 V-8 gasser, 3.73 gears. 10,000 GVWR with 7200 dry weight on full tank of gas. 12,200 tow rating.

I haven't heard of KZ. I'll do more research. Also hoping to pick up a 2012-2016 to avoid at least some of the depreciation so the more models that make my short list, the more likely I am to find one used within 250-500 miles.

I really like the floorplan of the Arctic Fox 24Y but it's 30' and I really think my target is 24-26'. 20' might be short even for wife and I. She doesn't like the fold down beds that most shorter TT's have. I looked at Murphy models but you lose the passthrough storage although as long as I stick with a TT, I have tons of storage in the bed of my truck (8' full bed).
F-250 6.2 Gasser

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Dont just limit to those brands, our KZ we put hundreds of mi on gravel and worse roads on ours without issue and used it in winter temps below 0.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Your proposed 30' is not too long. We've gotten our 40' motorhome into many national/state parks/national forest campgrounds without issue in the West. We've also taken it down gravel roads to awesome boondocking spots on BLM/national forest roads.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Another option to consider is finding a shorter rig that fits you needs and getting a tent for the kids. Helps keep the size down, gives the kids and you some privacy, and once the kids are gone, you'll have a unit for just the two of you.

Now that you're in the west with more access to NFS and NPS CG's, you'll find that the shorter your rig, the more options remain in CG's. For instance we camp often around Moab at BLM CG's and I would say that someone with a 30' trailer has about 25% of the options that someone with a 20' trailer has. We've found that length is less of a hinderance in many of the CG's east of the Rockies.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the year of your F250 gasser if any size is no issue. We had a 99 F250 6.8L gasser with a 4.3 RAR and we towed a 32' Komfort comfortably, but not the current fifth wheel we have, hence up to the F350 diesel.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Desert Fox which is a toy hauler. I have a kayak that would be nice for close camping including multiple lakes on public land in the local area. It has a double bunk in the back as an option which is fine.

I was at the RV Show in Phoenix last weekend and walked through a couple toy haulers but didn't see the Desert Fox which is a shame. Wife said it was there. I was focused on Artic Foxes and Outdoor RVs and missed it.
F-250 6.2 Gasser

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a toy hauler. You have plenty of truck, with a screen you would get a great rear view, the rear could be configured to suit your sleeping needs, they are sturdy construction, and have large tank capacities.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lance makes trailers that are very well constructed. Not the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for. Check out the 2185 for your family situation. Starting to see lots of Lance Trailers in NFS and NPS CG's around CO.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)