cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

whats the average cost to set up my 2007 crv as a toad

charlestown
Explorer
Explorer
hello I just got a estimate from camping world to purchase and install the necessary equipment to set up my 2007 crv as a toad the amount was 4000.00 this seems high to me . would this be the average price to install the base plate, tow bar , safety chains and the brake buddy . I was thinking it should be lower maybe im wrong .could you help me out and tell me if this is the average price thanks ,,,,mark
14 REPLIES 14

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on how long you like to keep a car and how many miles you put on it. We're set up with two toads, and both are older than the Escape in your signature. The late model Fords seem to be very good vehicles, so just take your choice. The Edge's towing ritual sounds a lot like the CR-V's according to the MoHoMag writeup.

I guess I'm flying inverted from many others. I don't ask myself "What's he heaviest toad I can tow?" I ask "What's the lightest toad that'll do my job?" My Frontier pickup weighs half a ton more tan my wife's Corolla and we can feel the difference.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm aware of the CRV issue, and even looked today at a couple of '14's but I'm leaning towards a '16 Edge instead of a CRV thats already 3 yrs old. Comparing the specs for both, they're really close in all measurements. The Edge is a bit bigger and weighs 600# more but I can handle that as a tradeoff for more features and luxury. I'm an old guy and deserve it.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
When I was getting quotes for our 2016 Ford Focus, we got similar quotes from CW and a different RV dealer. I don't think I got $4000, but closer to $3500. Our CW agreed to install at their labor rates (just under $1000) if I bought the stuff myself. Buying the stuff myself, I would of been able to save around $1000 (savings in price differences and shipping cost). Was still going to cost us north of $2500. Opted to not go that route. We don't full time and I didn't want to have to spend another $1000 or more to have to set up a different car if we switched cars...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
jbbrick wrote:
I'm shopping myself for either a used 2016 or so Ford Edge or CRV

Please remember Honda went from a real transmission to a CVT on the 2015 CR-V, so your search for one of those needs to be 2014 or earlier. At least that's what MoHoMag showed.

Be rocksolid surefire certain that you're looking at a CR-V that isn't CVT! Nice thing about looking for a CR-V is there are lots of them around, and both the FWD and AWD version is towable, IF it's not CVT.

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping myself for either a used 2016 or so Ford Edge or CRV, haven't decided which. I was wondering the cost of the base plate install by itself for either. I've looked at the install videos for Blue Ox and I could probably do it myself but would rather not unless the cost is really high. I did my Ford Escape myself several years ago, not a big deal if you take your time. Base plate is about $500 plus a lighting kit, I already have a Brake Buddy and tow bar. Anyone have ideas of just the base plate install?
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
So many tow/towed CR-V's, you may be able to source a used baseplate. Used towbar, easier, but like mentioned above, shipping can hurt. That said, the LTL (Less than Truck Load) freight business is booming, and there are "freight brokers" who can arrange shipping at below posted rates. I guess they buy vacant space.

Used parts, the Big Three (Baseplate, Towbar, Braking) can probably be found under $1000 total. Over double that new. Then there's installation. So far, I've been able to do my own installs.

As you shop baseplates, pull up the install instructions. Those'll help assess the difficulty, and help you see how much hitch drop you need to align RV and car, within 3" of level along the towbar.

Several of us have installed baseplates and can help if you want to DIY that job.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you can do a Blue Ox tow bar with auto stop, base plate light harness installed for under $2,000. That should include the cabling of the auto stop under the hood (no need then for the brake buddy). That would probably not be a CW install though. CW would upcharge that quite a bit.
www.putt10.net

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
It's been probably 6 or so years ago, but it cost us about $2500 for a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake install on our '09 CRV. This included towbar, brake system, baseplate, wiring and was matched to the hitch height on the MH. I would have a charge cord added to the wire harness. Read the CRV manual (available free online) about RV towing and follow the directions.

Here's the Ready Brute link: http://www.readybrake.com/store/c2/RV_Tow_Bars.html They have a dealer network and maybe you can get a quote.

Do a search in this forum on Ready Brute and I think you will find many positive comments.

Norm
F1BNorm

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
For new parts and install that's not too bad. You might beat it somewhere if you call around but probably not by much.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a bracket setup for a 2005 CRV that I would sell for $100. But the weight and shipping cost would be crazy high.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
CW frequently runs specials on complete installations for much less than they quoted. But somewhere north of $2k is to be expected.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years back, I got 3,600. Bought used, complete with new base plate, wiring, etc for 1,800.00.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
That price can very as much as gas does from state to state. Cost factors, which tow bar, which base plate, what braking system, which lighting system, how many hrs. to install base plate, who you're having do the work and what they charge per hr labor. I'm sure you'll get responses any where from $2000 to $5000.