Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seattle to Banff Campsites, advice?

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

We are 6 months into RV'ing and it's been a great experience so far. Our rig is a '93 Winnabago Brave, in good mechanical condition with a 4K Onan generator. We are planning some extended trips this year, one to Banff/Lake Louise sometime after Labor Day to try avoiding peak season. We leave from the Seattle area, plan on taking 97 N from Wannachee to Canada 3 then east on 3 to 93 N to Banff (from what I have read Canada highway 1, while scenic, has heavy traffic and not recommended). We are not in a hurry, plan on giving ourselves at least three or four days to get to the Banff area. We are open to Boondocking although so far have been doing hookups. Looking for recommendations on campsites on the way, hikes, not to miss attractions, and once in the Banff/Lake Louise area, camping recommendations. I know some folks recommend avoiding Banff altogether as there are beautiful parks that are less trafficked, so this could even be an option. We will have bicycles but no toad. Thanks for your input!
15 REPLIES 15

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend Rosbury PP for camping, there are a lot of other campground close by that are either Provincal Parks or Private that are far nicer.
It is in a heavily wooded area next to Wilson creek and Hwy 6. Although it is a nice little campground it doesn't get much if any sunlight. Also because of the long straight streach outside the campground on Hwy 6 you get a lot of motorcyle noise car noice and transport truck noise. It is one of the longest and best areas to pass slower vehicles. Hwy 3-A from Creston to Balfour then Hwy 31 to Kaslo then Hwy 31-A to New Denver and then Hwy 6 to Vernon is classed as one of the top 10 motorcycle rides in North America. Hundreds of mortocyles now thatbroute every day, somit really doesn't matter where you stay alongbthat route your going to hear them, however because of that long straight stretch,,,, and the windy roads leading up to it..... it gets load!
They have been cutting back some trees the last few years but it is still dark, and if it is cloudy, it will stay on the cold side of cool all day.
Others will like it however It is probably our least favorite campground around here.
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here are a handful of pictures taken during September 2012 thru the Kootenays along the routes of BC Hwys 6, 31a, 31, 3a and 3 that were recently mentioned ....I will just focus on the New Denver to Creston stretches here :

Rosebery Provincial Park - around 5 miles north of New Denver -
Real nice peaceful park along Wilson Creek :

Crossroads of BC Hwy 6 at BC Hwy 31a in New Denver :

BC Hwy 31a - the west portion of this route on the New Denver side is more on the windy and banked surfaced to give one an idea :

BC Hwy 31a - Showing the mountain peaks surrounding thru the area :

BC Hwy 31a - Robb Creek and trail bridge :

BC Hwy 31 - South of Kaslo near Ainsworth Hot springs....route follows along the west shore of Kootenay Lake :

Balfour Ferry Terminal Dock :

Driving onto the Osprey 2000 BC Ferry :

Leaving Balfour Terminal - entering Kootenay Lake :

Kootenay Lake - overlooking Balfour shore area :

Kootenay Bay Ferry Terminal Dock - total ferry route was around 30 minutes time :

BC Hwy 3a - Route follows the east shore of Kootenay Lake :

BC Hwy 3 - west end of Canyon St. in Creston :

I too would recommend this route for the leasure RV'er thru the Kootenays.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice so far, but I would like to add a few comments. Depending on where you enter Canada, Highway 3 has several passes on it. There is a fairly good climb out of Osoyoos going east to the interior plateau. There is another climb out of Christina Lake and a good downhill into Castlegar. You can choose there to go east through Nelson, and cross Kootenay Lake on the ferry. Should you choose this option, there are no more passes until entering Kootenay Park at Radium. Highly recommend staying at Kokanee Provincial Park west of Nelson. Shouldn't be issues with getting campsites in Sept. after Labour Day.
Should you choose at Castlegar to bypass the ferry route, there is another pass out of Castlegar over to Salmo, then Kootenay Pass south of Salmo. In hot weather, Kootenay Pass takes a toll on a vehicle's cooling system and you want to be sure of your brakes.

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
My Oh My, some excellent routes and suggestions on the Canada trip. Thanks so much, my itinerary will be so much better with this. I really like the idea of the ferry ride, not just to avoid the Kootenay Pass (tho that's a plus) but just to be doing something unique. Nothing like local knowledge to enhance a trip. Thanks to all!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
From west to east up the Salmo / Creston ( Kootenay Pass) is where you need the coolant after the summit it drops fast for about 1 mile of so, and that's where you need the breaks working well. After that as Sue said it is a gradual drop into Creston.
There is also a small campground at Halcyon Hot Springs, as well McDondald Creek PP has a few sites with power now.
Another option is to take Hwy 3-A from Castlegar to the Playmore Jct with 6. Then flow that up to New Denver to the Jct with Hwy 31-A and follow it over to Kaslo down to Balfour, take the ferry across Kootenay Lake down to Creston where you join up again with Hwy 3.
It may be longer and a bit windy, but a heck of a beautiful drive.
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your coolant and brakes are in good order for the Salmo-Creston (a.k.a. Kootenay Pass) section of Hwy 3. The road climbs from an elevation of 2000' to 5800' over about 15 miles eastbound, then the descent back to 2000' at Creston is much more casual over a longer distance.

It is scenic and a nice drive; just take your time.

If you enjoy some quieter areas, the trip along Kootenay Lake is nice but would add some miles to your journey. The Slocan Lake and Upper Arrow Lake areas are also pleasant.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
SideHill neglected to mention you can camp (power n water) AT the Nakusp Hot Pool..which is kinda neat. You soak..then wander back to your RV for a nap...then go back for more. It is only for the strongest amongst us.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the reservation sections of the BC Parks will close after Labour Day weekend, but the first come sites are usually still open. Most of the campgrounds will pull the plug towards the end of September. however there are a lot of us retired people that ravel I. September which they will stay open for.

At Christina Lake check out the BC Parks campground at Gladstone (Texas Creek) it is up above the lake and the sights are large well shaded.
Maybe think about heading north on Hwy 3-A towards Nelson at Castlegar and check out the many campgrounds on Kootenay Lake,
Also you can take the longest free ferry ride in the world across Kootenay Lake at Balfour and you would pop back out to Hwy-3 at Creston thereby bypassing one of the highest mountain pass open year round in Canada "Kootenay Pass"
Or:
Once at Balfour you can take Hwy 31 to Kaslo and checkout the drydocked paddle wheeler Moyie, and pass Ainsworth Hot Springs on the way. Then take Hwy 31-A over to New Denver and stop at the Ghost town of Sandon which is off to the left on a well mainatained gravel road.
There is a comunity campground on the lake shore of Slocan Lake at New Denver which you shouldn't have a problem getting a site o. The lakes edge during the week in September. There is also a small community campground in Silverton also on the shores of Slocan Lake 2 Kms south on Hwy 6.
After New Denver take Hwy 6 north past Summit Lake to Nakusp. There are two campgrounds at Summit Lake one is a BC Parks campground and the one next tomit is a private campground cLled Three Islands reapportionment. Both are on the shore of the summit lake . Three islands resort do t take credit cards or debit cards, cash only.
There is also a beautiful BC parks campground onnthe shores of Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River) called McDonald Creek Probincal park. Well over 1/2 the campsits are on the lake shore and in the trees. It is 10km south of Nakusp on Hwy 6
There is also the Nakusp Hot Springs you can visit while in Nakusp.
From Nakusp take Hwy 23 north towards Revelstoke. You will cross the Arrow Lakes at Galena Bay / Shelter Bay. All inland ferries in BC are free.
On the way between Nakusp and the Ferry is Halsyon Hot Springs resort. With the pool high above the the Arrow Lakes, quite the view.
From Revelstoke you will join Hwy 1 east to Golden and on to Lake Louise.
A great trip no matter witch way you go,
Soup.

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to stay at the Kimberley Riverside campground there is an extensive network of bike/hike trails right across the road from the campground. The campground office would have a map or could tell you where to find one.

If you camp at the Lake Louise campground, the hikes to the two tea houses are well worthwhile. The teahouses were built by the CPR for their hotel guests but now cater to hikers. The Agnes lake teahouse is closest but if you are a reasonably strong walker you can hike to Agnes lake, up over the beehive and down to the trail to the Plain of Six glaciers teahouse, then back down the trail to Lake Louise. Spectacular hikes with a stop for tea and scones along the way!

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought to check and see if whatever campground you were planning to stay at is going to be open after the middle of September. We went that way and a lot of them had closed for the winter. The one at Midway was open and nice and clean. It has clean showers and is on the river.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few campgrounds either in towns or close to amenities that you may want to look at on your route:

1) Kimberly Riverside - just outside Kimberly, a Bavarian town in the southern BC Rockies. Good bike paths around the campground.
2) Fairmont Hot Springs RV Resort - north on 93 from Kimberly. You can walk next-door to the Fairmont hot springs pool.
3) Redstreak Campground - outside of Radium. National Park, but admission is free this year. Camping still has a fee associated with it. You can hike to town or the Radium Hot Springs from the campground.
4) Canyon RV Resort - Never actually stayed at this one but have heard good things from friends. Close to the town and shops of Radium.

Once you hit Banff National Park you have the following options:
1) Lake Louise Campground - it is VERY close to noisy train tracks but also is walking distance to the town of Lake Louise.
2) Johnston Canyon - on hwy 1A to Banff. Very close to the nice (and very popular) hike to the falls in Johnston Canyon. If you are more adventurous and want a bit longer hike, continue to the ink pots.
3) Banff Tunnel Mountain - three different campgrounds, all connected. If you don't mind the lack of hook-ups, Village 1 is nestled in the trees and you can have fires in it. Village 2 is wide open, park on the side of the road camping. Only a few sites have fire rings. The Trailer Court is actually nicer than Village 2 and a bit more private. There is bus service to town and you can also bike.
4) Two Jack Main and Lakeside - nice campgrounds close to Banff.

Banff is nice to see and the crowds drop off a lot after Labor Day, especially mid-week. Also, some of the campgrounds stop taking reservations after Labor Day.

You may want to look at driving up to the Columbia Ice Fields and camp in the parking lot overnight. It is a beautiful drive and the scenery is outstanding.

As far as hiking goes, there are a lot of trails I could recommend, depending upon your desired exertion level. Take a look at the Larch Valley/Sentinel Pass hike. You might be a bit early to see the fall colors, but it is a nice hike. You will need to go as a group of 4 or more because it is in grizzly bear country.

There is a lot to see and do along this route. Just post if you have any further questions.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Now then...look up Molson, Wa. You get there from Oroville...
I would go even farther north than Gary suggests. North of Oroville, the Okanagan Valley is one of our favorite places in western Canada. Orchards and vineyards covering the rocky hillsides above big, beautiful glacial lakes, lots of wineries, great fruit (depending on the season), swim beaches in public parks, all kinds of boating. If you like any of those sights or activities, I would highly recommend it either coming or going on your trip.

However, it's tough to go wrong in traveling in southern BC--it's all gorgeous! (With the possible exception of Trail.)
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Were I you..I'd go a wee bit further north and take the North Cascades from Sedro Wooley. That is a drive you will not forget. Take a full day to drive across the Cascades from I-5. There are some boondocking spots in the Twisp area, and lots of 'normal' camping in the Cascades National Park.

Now then...look up Molson, Wa. You get there from Oroville...and there are two small lakes up there, one of which has a great landing for boondocking, plus you get to hang out in Molson and their fabulous and free open museum.

Also the city of Republic, Wa has a city park that includes power...and all free for RV's. A great craft beer place, too.

BC has oodles of Rest Areas for overnighting and if you just poke about a bit...you'll find great camping in many locations. Google Earth is your best pal in the planing.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a very scenic trip. One of our favorite camp grounds is at Beebe bridge north of Wenatchee. Christina Lake is a beautiful place to stop although that will be a full day from Seattle, Osoyoos might be a better bet with some great campgrounds right on the lake.