cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those pesky 180 days

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
http://cheaphits.com/view/index.php?permalink=if-youre-a-canadian-snowbird-you-are-probably-breaking...

This was shared with me by a Canadian friend who is a retired attorney. Despite an error in word usage (libel vs liable), I thought it was an interesting article.
13 REPLIES 13

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
When I sent in the form last year I got no acknowledgement whatsoever.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if you get an acknowledgement on the "closer connection to another country" form after submitting it to the IRS? If not and you have the form filled in, including previous years copies with you when crossing the border but never ever sent in ............

Just wondering how they prove it wasn't sent in if they don't ever send you anything acknowledging so back to you?
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The IRS not seeking income tax is a new twist.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Pianotuna. But maybe the border people are one thing, and the IRS another? How do we know if they're even talking to each other? And even if the data is being shared, is anyone at the IRS acting on it? I seem to remember this was discussed a year or so ago and some people felt it was unlikely. There was also some talk that the system wasn't completely up and running yet.

Just wondering.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ron,

With the new passport system as of June 30, 2013 the border enforcement folks on both sides know exactly how many days you are in each country--so you can't be "under the radar" any more.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
You know, after thinking about it last year I decided to submit the form. Now, I pretty well wish I hadn't. Up till then I was "under the radar". But as of now, Big Brother is aware of me. And it's not impossible that I may exceed the 183 day rule at some time.

Yep, I really wonder how much the idea of submitting the form is just giving in to paranoia. I've a good mind to just not submit this year, and see what happens. (Don't tell anybody.)

And I too have doubts about this visa requirement thing.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The visa and visa extension business doesn't sound right ...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The rolling average of 120 days is correct (that leaves a day of "grace"). Anyone who stays longer than 31 days should send in the closer connection to Canada form.

I was unaware of the 90 visa. With Mr. T in the driver's seat it may be wise to follow the recommendations to the letter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Most people I know do realize that in adding up your days you have to consider the formula of the last 2 years. You also have to add in day trips across the border if you live close to the border as well.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Not sure this is right, I think a bit more research is needed.

If I was a snowbird from Canada, I would definitely check on it.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure this is right, I think a bit more research is needed.
pawatt

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was not aware of the need for a extension on the 90 day "automatic" visa. It's a great article.
Regards, Don