cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No info on towing Mazdas

ElBigDodgeO
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are considering another Class A. We want to tow a car 4 down, and we're thinking about buying an old beater for that. Looking for a 2004-2006 Mazda 6 station wagon with manual transmission. The dinghy guide from Motorhome magazine has NO Mazdas listed for any year. Anyone know where to find info about this? I will call my local Mazda dealer on Monday, but not confident they will know. Mazda 6's with manuals not very common. Thanks.
Still on the Road
2016 Coachman Freelander

Traveling with Maggie and Bruce Lee

"This is our Kingdom of Days"
16 REPLIES 16

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 2010 GT 6M for over 25,000 miles.

If your battery is going flat, I suspect that you are towing your 2010 with the ignition in either the ON or ACC position.

The 2010 HAS a steering wheel lock so you cannot tow with the ignition in the OFF position.

You have a couple of options.

1) Disable the steering wheel lock as I did with my 2010. HERE is my web page with the How-To details.

2) Use the Valet/Emergency key that is in your key fob:

a) Remove the knob that you normally turn to turn ON and START the car.
b) There is a small round button at the base of the knob.
c) Push the button and pull OUT on the knob, away from the steering column.
d) Remove the key from the key fob and insert it into the ignition switch keyhole that was uncovered by removing the knob.
e) Turn the key to the ON position. It is OK to also START the car.
f) Turn the key to the OFF position, BUT DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH. It is the act of removing the key that actuates the steering wheel lock.

3) Purchase and have cut another key (NOT KEY FOB just the key blank) and use it as in 2) above.

Any of these processes will let you tow with the key in the OFF position, yet with the steering wheel lock UNLOCKED.

Tim

JMCC730248
Explorer
Explorer
yes towing a 2010 AKE system
2016 Ford F250 Diesel short bed 6speed automatic
06 jayco eagle 301rls,retired and loving it, TOM .............don,t look back something might be gaining on you..........

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
JMCC730248 wrote:
It has the AkE system

I asked you THREE questions, you answered ONE.

IF you cannot give me the information I requested, I cannot not help you.

Tim

JMCC730248
Explorer
Explorer
It has the AkE system
06 jayco eagle 301rls,retired and loving it, TOM .............don,t look back something might be gaining on you..........

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
JMCC730248 wrote:
do you have to pull a fuse on the miata to keep batterys from discharging?if so,which fuse?

No. No fuse to pull.

Are you already towing a MANUAL trans. Miata?

If so, what year?

Do you use a key in the ignition or do you have AKE (Advanced Keyless Entry)?

Tim

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
As per Remco Towing Products website:

2005 Mazda 6 ALL FWD I4 2.3L cyl 5-Speed Manual Manual

Notes
โ€ขTowable as is without speed or distance restrictions. See Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
โ€ขNo Base Plate available from Blue Ox for this vehicle. May be Custom Application.
โ€ขNo formal testing has been done by Remco on either the 5-Speed or 6-speed Manual Transmissions versions of these vehicles. Remco has not heard of any problems arising while towing these vehicles. Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation and towing procedures if available.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If you can find one, a manual Focus wagon of that age range is a fun car and can be towed 4 down. Not very common though.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

JMCC730248
Explorer
Explorer
do you have to pull a fuse on the miata to keep batterys from discharging?if so,which fuse?Thanks

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
All of the above said, I have flat towed 3 different standard transmission Mazda Miatas over 75,000 miles with no issues.

Tim

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I found it interesting that the Ford Edge is listed as towable and the Mazda is not. I always thought they were essentially the same vehicle. Like others say, check the owners manual for the last word on tow ability.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ElBigDodgeO
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks. We have a Ford F-150 that will tow 4 down, but I was hoping that I could have my fun little wagon and tow it too. Now I can't really justify the little wagon. Oh well.
Still on the Road
2016 Coachman Freelander

Traveling with Maggie and Bruce Lee

"This is our Kingdom of Days"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
the message is NO. buy something that you can find recreational towing procedures in the owner's manual. that is the only valid source .bumpy

X10

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Here is the manual on line that can be downloaded.

2004 Mazda 6

Section 7-17 and 7-18

A towed vehicle usually should have its
front wheels off the ground. If excessive damage or other conditions prevent this, use wheel dollies.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the message is NO. buy something that you can find recreational towing procedures in the owner's manual. that is the only valid source.
bumpy