cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My map of 615 campsites I've been in

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Last November I wrapped up my 11th annual 6 month session in my truck camper. A couple of years ago I started a map of all the campsites I've been in. After last year, it's now up to 615. Most sites are USFS/BLM/NPS/State with very few commercial ones. About 40 are boondocking spots. GPS coordinates are included for all sites along with site descriptions. Click on the link in my signature to see the map.

Hope it helps you find a new spot.

Ramblin' on,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
23 REPLIES 23

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the last 3 thumbs up! Makes me glad I do it. As I travel solo, it gives me something to do at my campsite at night. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ramblin' on,
Ralph
Instagram

Floridafrances
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! You are far more organized, and dedicated, than I could ever hope to be.

Like you, we try to avoid commercial campgrounds whenever possible. Not interested in all they offer. Much prefer the great outdoors with fewer "frills" but haven't done much boondocking. Thank you for sharing this.

Next I'm checking out your blog.

Keep traveling and stay safe.
Frances & Tom with 3 rescue cats - Peaches, Snippet,and BP. And in spirit Aja (Dec 2014) and Tipper (Oct 2016).
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
2008 4 door Hardtop Wrangler Unlimited 4X4

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Impressive!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph,

Thanks for sharing your great summer treks with the community! Your campsite file is quite impressive! Safe travels my friend!
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
PM me with your email address.
Ralph
Instagram

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph - perhaps I'm a little slow when I haven't had enough cups of coffee ... but how do I (easily) beg, borrow, or steal a .gpx file of your campsites database to use in our RV's Garmin Nuvi navigator unit?

We travel a lot in the West and your database would be an OUTSTANDING custom POI file to have stored in our Garmin.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Impressive map but even more impressive travel. Looks like you got the west covered.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
J herb wrote:
Ralph helped me setup my Streets & Trips maps so I can use all his great info, he puts in a lot time on the maps and I appreciate all his work, will be checking in for the 2017 season.

I sure wish that the Windows 10 "Maps" application included trip planning ... and that I could add into it great camping information like Ralph's!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Cool!
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following Rambling Ralph on his adventures for a few years and enjoy it. Ralph helped me setup my Streets & Trips maps so I can use all his great info, he puts in a lot time on the maps and I appreciate all his work, will be checking in for the 2017 season.
Thanks Ralph.
J herb

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
What?? I don't get the joke -- sorry. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
I agree -- very well done. Also, interesting and useful. Thanks.
Looks like you have no use for the east coast, huh? But why not farther north in Alaska and NWT?

thank you indeed sir.. excellent work..

as for the east ... well from personal experience with people on the east coast I would say most are douche bags.. no other way to put it... very unfriendly and miserable people..

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, thank you. Now if I can figure out how to download. Great job!
Moose

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for all the thumbs up! ๐Ÿ™‚

To answer some of the questions:

- I stick to the West for lower temperatures and humidity
- My trip to Alaska was adventurous enough w/o going further North
- I don't have 4WD and I rarely get on dirt roads I wish I wasn't on. The maximum length of campsites at a particular campground, which can usually be found on the internet, would probably determine if your rig would be suitable.
- profdant139 nailed it. No internet, no map of this sort. ๐Ÿ™‚

FYI, I keep all my campsite data for a particular year (GPS coords, description, etc.) on a spreadsheet on Google Docs. I update it after each campsite. Accessing my yearly map automatically fetches the latest spreadsheet data and plots it. After each travel session, I merge last year's spreadsheet with my latest multi-year map spreadsheet. Since I always stay at some campgrounds I've been to already, I have to eliminate dups after the merging. I then upload the updated multi-year spreadsheet to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
and it generates the map for me (for free). I download the map data file and then add text explaining how to use it. The all-powerful-all-knowing Google is what is ultimately displaying the map and allowing pan and zoom.

BTW, if you want the spreadsheet that generated this map, just PM me with your email address.

Ramblin' on,
Ralph
Instagram