cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada - Alaska Theft Concerns

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Been planning our first 3 month mid May Canada & Alaska trip for 2 years now. We have 2 trailers and are taking our 25 foot TT and leaving the big 5ver home.

An issue with the TT is the huge lack of storage. My wife wants most of the small under belly storage for her plastic bins. -- I plan on putting some items in the back seat of our crew cab. But since we are traveling with friends we know we may need the back seat for them on some side trips.

I have an 8 foot truck bed and plan on taking my 2 Honda 2000 generators, tool box, Craftsman compressor, jug of diesel & gas, propane, small propane fire pit, large aluminum lockable box/trunk for misc truck & fuel items. My wife says it will all get stolen without something like a camper shell or Tonneau cover.

I told her I'm not buying an expensive camper shell for one trip. We have a 5ver to tow sometimes and no place to store a shell. I guess a Tonneau cover could work if it is a tri fold and not a tilt up, because I want to be able to stand up in the truck bed to work and access things. And would a Tonneau really stop easy theft?

So anyway to those of you who have made this trip before, should we be worried about theft, how did you handle truck bed storage, and any relevant advice please.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS
35 REPLIES 35

RollinFreenEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years we have camped in a lot of different places, private, state, national and Corps of Engineers and never had anything stolen. Having said that, I want to express that I take security very seriously and don't leave anything of value exposed, unless it is secured by chain or cable. Last December I found out how vulnerable our 5er is. We have a double lot about a mile from where we live in a small town of about 11,000. I went to the trailer right before Christmas to start preparing it to leave for Gulf Shores Alabama at the end of the month and found the door pried open, both tv's and a few other small things gone. After talking to a Keystone service center I would guess the thief was in the locked door in less than 5 minutes,I've probably put more time and effort into opening a jar of pickles. A thousand dollar plus door damaged, (we are not going to replace it) so somebody could steal 2 tvs worth less tha $400. Ironically, the thief or thieves missed an $800 metal detector in the front closet and had looked at the $900 RaceMe programer for the diesel tow truck, I guess they didn't know what it worked on. We had left a spare set of trailer keys on a hook and they took those and tried to get into a friends trailer that was next to ours. Thank God they broke our baggage door key off in the door lock as I had hundreds of dollars of tools in the bay,although they could have popped the bay doors open just as easily as the main door, but I still had to change the door lock because they had the key. Oddly, our lot sets right across the street from two leaders of the neighborhood watch. Lots of lessons learned here, I had the utility company put up a high pressure sodium flood light that shines on the trailers. When we got to Gulf Shores I put on a Starlights motion sensing led porch light that is very bright and because it also is equipped with a dusk to dawn sensor can be left on all the time, I also drilled about a 5/16 hole in the door handle on the inside and wrapped a small link chain around an assist handle and use a small padlock through the hole and chain (not locked in case we have to escape quickly), I sleep a lot better. We are back home now and the trailer is cleaned out, no spare keys, nothing of value and more security in place.

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Life is a gamble...... be diligent.
SAFBVET.....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jetcare wrote:
Buy something used and sell it on Craigslist when you get back.

This. Easy and done.
Yes I would worry about stuff getting stolen and I'm not old enough for it to be paranoid. I know people who've been ripped off in BC.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Please see my last update to my post on driving to Alaska in March. I just arrived in Fairbanks. It might give you a different perspective on the trip.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Get the steel reinforcments for the Honda gen handles. Get a plastic coated cable with eyelets on both ends from WalMart and a stainless steel lock like what is used on the doors of storage units. Put this and whatever else under an aluminum rollup cover. You can use it with your 5th too. Done deal. Ask your insurance agent what your deductible is. Go have fun.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
ford-willy wrote:
Been planning our first 3 month mid May Canada & Alaska trip for 2 years now. We have 2 trailers and are taking our 25 foot TT and leaving the big 5ver home.

An issue with the TT is the huge lack of storage. My wife wants most of the small under belly storage for her plastic bins. -- I plan on putting some items in the back seat of our crew cab. But since we are traveling with friends we know we may need the back seat for them on some side trips.

I have an 8 foot truck bed and plan on taking my 2 Honda 2000 generators, tool box, Craftsman compressor, jug of diesel & gas, propane, small propane fire pit, large aluminum lockable box/trunk for misc truck & fuel items. My wife says it will all get stolen without something like a camper shell or Tonneau cover.

I told her I'm not buying an expensive camper shell for one trip. We have a 5ver to tow sometimes and no place to store a shell. I guess a Tonneau cover could work if it is a tri fold and not a tilt up, because I want to be able to stand up in the truck bed to work and access things. And would a Tonneau really stop easy theft?

So anyway to those of you who have made this trip before, should we be worried about theft, how did you handle truck bed storage, and any relevant advice please.

Summer of 2015 we did our first trip through Canada to Alaska from southern California in our Truck camper (Lance 815). We didn't have any problem as far as theft goes, heck if someone wanted to they could have stolen my spare tire since it was mounted on a swing gate tire holder. Just beware of your surroundings, chain your portable generator to your rig, put your stuff away when your not around your rig.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Freedom_polecat
Explorer
Explorer
Get a locking latch for your tailgate if you don't have, and build your own enclosure that covers the entire bed of your truck. Hinge the area behind your back window with theft proof screws and position the locks right up against the tailgate at the other end. Ensure the locks can't be accessed unless the tailgate is open also. Chaining up the expensive items inside the enclosure with good locks and chains adds another level of security. Nothing is ever safe if someone really wants your stuff but it will make it hard for them and maybe move onto somewhere else.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
PA12, I had to laugh at what the bad guys left behind. They probably didn't know what those implements were used for.
As far as the topic; we have a Tuxedo brand cover that works pretty well. I do lock everything that is in the truck bed though.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted by others, the best way to deter theft is not keeping any valuable items out in the open while unattended, also secure any doors and compartments while unattended.....

Also noted is that you will generally feel 100 percent safe anywhere you visit in Alaska as a visiting RV tourist.

To ease the frame of mind of the OP and others concerned upon these two questions that an answer would not be needed :

Why do I always deport myself year after year after year (...and so forth) and keep coming back to Canada for vacations ?

Why do many RV dot Net forum members return year after year after year or any other time possible return to visit Canada and Alaska ?

While theft crimes in Alaska are pretty rampant, the typical visiting RV tourist is hardly exposed to this environment as thieves do not generally hang out around any of the tourist, scenic or camping areas as the typical visitor or tourist never see any crime here.

Meth and heroin use is at an all time high in the more populated areas of Alaska, and thanks to the new state law bill that passed last year in order to keep the jail and prison population down and just citing offenders and re-offenders for certain major crimes - the theft crimes will not improve anytime soon......at least Alaska has the "stand your ground law" in place since 2013.

As far as theft is concerned, in my opinion - the most vulnerable places for a visiting RV tourist to potentially get ripped off for potential break ins while leaving your RV unattended would be :

South of Anchorage along the Seward Highway corridor within Chugach State Parks parking areas not visible from the highway with access to remote hiking trails and such.

Anywhere along the outskirts of the Mat-Su valley (Wasilla, Houston, Big Lake, Willow)

Anywhere along the outskirts of the Kenai Peninsula (less visited places for an RV)

Anywhere along the outskirts of the Fairbanks area (less visited places for an RV)

Again, these places mentioned are not the usual RV popular tourist destinations as such, and even so the chances of potential theft are still low in happening, but it does happen to other passenger vehicles as well, as far as unattended break ins are concerned.

I still run into the same type handful of reputable known thieves every now and then that I have known for over 30 years that I keep my distance from, as they have that mentality of what they see with their eyes....they think it belongs to them.

Nothing deters them unless they are locked up in jail, they will steal if it's -50 below out, if there is 8 feet of snow, too heavy of an item to carry they will steal a front end loader and lift whatever they want to take and haul it away....and yes they also have 2 stroke portable chop saws with carbon blades that can cut thru any metal or other materials in seconds if needed.....but as an RV tourist visiting at most places in Canada and Alaska are not subject to this scrutiny.

I too am always concerned about my safety and property in reference to travel, as I first researched police reports and local news of Yellowknife 6 months prior to visiting as I was appalled of how much crime was rampant there, it was just like Fairbanks in comparison....however once arriving there and visiting I felt 100 percent safe in Yellowknife and throughout the Northwest Territories as I knew crime was all around me but always kept on guard and never left anything valuable out in the open and unattended.

I am one that will chain up my Honda 2000 generator to my truck frame if it is being used while inside my camper even in the most remote places where no one is around, as well as locking my truck doors and camper door when away from the camper rig - ANYWHERE in the far north.

I still have that big city mentality of being raised in Los Angeles as I keep note of my total surroundings everywhere I go and watch other people's body language.....also, if my camper rig is parked in a public domain type of place such as a government campground or rest area - depending the type of place and region I will generally be no farther than 1000 feet away at the least to a maximum of a mile and a half away on foot.

If my camper rig is in a more secure location such as a safe enough RV private park or private property, I will venture much farther - but that is me.

Even in my RV as if I have a bad vibe or I feel uncomfortable in a situation or surrounding, I will move on.

I have travelled on the Alaska Highway since 1985, and had a camper since 1996, as I only had one incident that was startling in July 1997 between Tok and Mentasta along the Tok Cutoff portion of the Glenn Highway and moved on, and moved on upon not feeling comfortable a half dozen times total (which were all boondocking spots), out of many travels in a 32 year period.

For those concerned about crime in Alaska, here is a link that one can keep up with with Alaska State Troopers Dept. of Public Safety Daily Dispatches that are statewide....you can also read the local news websites of various places one can plan to visit to keep a perspective of knowing the potential incidents that could occur.

Alaska road system areas of AST daily dispaches :

A Detachment : Southeast Alaska panhandle regions

B Detachment : Matunuska-Susitna Valley and Copper Valley regions :
(Wasilla, Big Lake, Houston, Willow, Talkeetna, Palmer, Sutton, Chickaloon, Gakona, Glennallen, Chitina, Valdez)

D Detachment : Fairbanks and Interior Alaska regions :
(Cantwell, Denali, Healy, Nenana, Central, Circle, North Pole, Salcha, Delta Junction, Paxson, Tok, Chicken, Eagle)

E Detachment : Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula regions :
(Girdwood, Portage, Whittier, Hope, Moose Pass, Seward, Cooper Landing, Sterling, Kenai, Soldotna, Ninilchik, Anchor Point, Homer)

Alaska State Troopers - Daily Dispatch
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford-willy wrote:
Ok so if you take the TT leave this stuff at home. OK maybe just one Honda to carry inside the TT.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
My brother-in-law has a large, locking diamond-plate tool box at the front of his pickup bed for his generator, fuel, 5-gallon water jug, tools, etc., when towing his travel trailer. You could do something like that and also use it with your 5th wheel trailer if you keep it in front of the hitch rails and below bed height.

When going to Alaska, you may not need your trailer air conditioner except in the Lower 48. If the weather is that hot, you could just plan to stay in state parks or private RV parks with electrical hookups. In our 3-month, 10,000-mile trip to Alaska with our 21-foot travel trailer, we had no generator and did not need to run our air conditioner once in Canada or Alaska, even when plugged in to 120v power.

We ran the air conditioner in the Lower 48 twice on our Alaska trip. Once was when plugged in at an eastern OR county park and the other was when plugged in at an RV park in Oroville, WA. However, we live in Denver and traveled primarily through the mountains all the way to BC.

We also carried no extra gas, but filled the tank anytime we were nearing a 1/2 tank in the truck. And, unless you are planning on going north of the Arctic Circle or on roads like the Canol Road, you shouldn't need it either. I did take my tool bag, 12v compressor, electric screwdriver, and a collapsible, 5-gallon water jug to fill before dry camping.

We tried to travel with empty tanks, which was nearly always possible because many state and provincial parks, city parks, county fairgrounds, gas stations, and Fred Meyer stores had potable water faucets and RV dumps. Many of these dumps are free, especially in city parks and at Fred Meyer, and gas stations are often free with a fuel fill-up. In Tok, I got a free RV wash (badly needed due to a construction zone near Beaver Creek) and a free RV dump with only a 10-gallon fuel fill-up.

Alaska is no longer a remote wilderness for RVers, although you can get into wilderness lots of places . . . by bush plane, boat, or on foot.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts:

- Have only RV'd in AK for a couple of days, but spent most of my life up here;
- Can't guarantee, but doubt you'd have any undue problems with your bigger rig.
- Not too long ago, I took a leisurely trip (3 days, 2 RON stops) from Los Anchorage to Squarebanks. Lots of man-portable stuff in the back of my p/u. None of it walked. About the same time, my son lost his aftermarket backup lights while parked at a hockey game. The thieves used hacksaws and bolt cutters...and ignored the $100 Hi-lift jack, the $75 pulaski, and the $50 shovel(s) that were just bungeed on. No telling.
- I'd guess that your risk of theft is highest if you park your vehicle and leave it unattended "in-town" at night. At your CG or boondocking spot, risk should be low to non-existent.
- As suggested, cable-lock what you can and don't worry about the rest OR just take your bigger trailer...it won't be a problem judging by what I see on the road every summer.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chances of encountering snow on the roads entering Canada in early May are low to zero. The Banff-Jasper-Cassiar Hwy route northbound is the way we went each of our 3 trips. Each of them we were all the way to Dawson City a few days after the ferry started operating.

Provincial parks & SPs were our CGs of preference. No Reservations except at Teklanika, where it is first come first served in site selection. The trick is to be off the road by mid afternoon to get good site selection for a larger unit. A 32' unit is not very large.

No need to overthink the trip. The North is very civilised. May is early season. The crowds are behind you. Mid May things are only just opening up.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Retrax rolling tonneau cover that locks in any position and it works great. It is also reasonably weather proof.

I wouldn't have a truck without it. Can still tow the fifth wheel and haul anything of any size anytime without worrying about it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes