cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV insurance

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking delivery in about a week on a new Class C or B+. No one seems to know what these animals are. Anyway it's a Thor Gemini 23TR. We sold our 5th wheel and pickup which was insured by the same company that insures our house. I am not sure they are the best for RV insurance. Dealer recommended two insurance companies but I would assume they get a spiff from these companies.
For you folks that have this type rv what companies would you suggest. I don't think the option to insure for part of the year is necessary for us. We bought this to be at home and available at a moments notice.

Sam
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle
25 REPLIES 25

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think Allstate wants any of the RV business. I have my home, car, truck and 2 motorcycles with them but when I asked about the RV they were 3.5x higher than Progressive.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

derosacamp
Explorer
Explorer
My homeowners/auto agent, Allstate, suggested I go elsewhere for RV coverage. I found Progressive and Good Sam were competitive so I went with Progressive (local agent). I recently filed a significant claim and the have been great so far.
Peter and Cindy
2006 Gulf Stream Ultra

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I had a previous insurance company for 40 years and didn't do my job in checking other companies now and then. Found out it cost me thousands over a period of a few years. So I switched companies about 4 years ago . Do to that I don't show loyalty to insurance companies. However, when our house burned along with one of the vehicles two years ago the new insurance paid off exactly how I expected. In fact 3000 above book on the car. So I did give them a shot on the MH but they were in the 1400 a year area with limited mileage. This didn't work. Got better coverage from AG for 1/2 that. No limits on mileage. We are covered for personal items to 3000. For a 23' MH I cant see having much more than that in it. Also covers vacation disruption to 10,000, towing, road service, etc. So far we are happy.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Just had the coverage discussion with my insurance agent this past Thursday. I have been with the same company for over 25 years and have my auto and homeowners policies with them (Coumtry Companies) The vehicle policy covers the Class A and items that are installed in the vehicle like the A/C, refrigerator, cabinets, etc. My homeowners policy covers the items that are inside the vehicle that are not part of the vehicle, like clothing, dishes, GPS, televisions, etc.

The point is, there are distinctions as to which policy covers which items in the event of an accident. You need to be sure to check with your insurance agent(s) to determine which policy covers which items in your MH. That becomes particularly important if you have multiple companies that you are dealing with. Have your agent show you your coverage in the policy declarations, don't just accept "Oh, you're covered" from your agent.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I went with National General. They were half the price of my old insurance companies quote and far less than my pick-up and 5th wheel were. Enough to pay for a couple nice week long outings. Now the MH delivery is delayed a week. I didn't think that they werent ready for delivery at the show. Went to another show today at wifes request to satisfy her that we got the very best deal possible. She came away smiling. Thats a very good thing.

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We had National General for a couple of years. This year's premium was significantly higher. Switched to Progessive for a much better rate. BUT REMEMBER... You don't know how good the insurance company you select is until you need to file a claim. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of discussion around cost but don't forget coverages. Some companies offer person effects coverage with a minimum automatically included. Other companies will tell you that you don't need it and it is covered under the home. If you have a loss with your RV involving personal effects this means two deductibles and a claim on your home policy. The same with liability coverage, you may want vacation liability coverage for your campsite which some carriers don't offer. You may be told that your home policy provides this but some will exclude it as they consider your RV a secondary home. The point is to ask questions about what is covered and by what policies. How are deductibles applied? The $50 you save in one year gets eaten up quickly when you have to pay a $500 or $1,000 deductible on a second policy.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Today is the day I will decide. I have filled out numerous quote requests on line and surprisingly have not recieved one phone call. The quotes have varied with Progressive being the least at $573.00. Now to call my SF agent

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for National Interstate. They know and specialize in RV coverage. For a few dollars extra I got full replacement coverage - the rig gets totaled and I get back every penny paid for it {including g the sales tax}, not many firms can offer that.

Their premiums have been in line with most of the other companies out there and their customer service was excellent.

:C

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
wearenh wrote:
samven1 wrote:
I went with Progressive on a new Class C after talking to my auto insurer and several others.

+1 ... our premium is $304/year

Yours was even cheaper than mine. 100k/300k/100k full replacement for $355/yr but it went up $35 in the second year.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gieco knows what an RV is too. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
wearenh wrote:
samven1 wrote:
I went with Progressive on a new Class C after talking to my auto insurer and several others.

What coverage did that premium include? What is your collision deductible?

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:

2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

GrandMom97
Explorer
Explorer
We now have our third motorhome and have always used Foremost thru Farmers Insurance to cover them. Used their roadside assistance four times, been very pleased. We also have regular auto and home thru Farmers.