cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where are the "B" people?

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
why is there so little activity in the class "B" forum?
I see plenty of class b's on the road but nobody talking about them?
what was your reason for choosing a "B".
good points, bad points of your "B".
I am asking this because I have just started to wonder if a "B" might be the right thing for us, two old people that don't really want to "camp out" but would like to be able to travel and have a bathroom handy or be able to pull into a rest stop for lunch or maybe a quick break.
so please folks brag them up or put them down whatever you think of them?
59 REPLIES 59

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Reflex439 wrote:
Davydd wrote:

You haven't lived yet until you start a discussion about carrying a weapon for self defense in your RV on this forum. You would have thought that I had advocated raping their sister the way some folks lost their cool. That is why I no longer post anything on the Good Sam Forum. Little minds are not my thing. There are too many other RV forums out there.

I don't see how it's related, but I'm not surprised to see that kind of response. Its a heated topic like religion, politics, abortion, with half on one side and half on the other. I can see why some forums put those discussions in their own Topic to keep it segregated from the more mainline topics.

And yes, I have lived through those discussions, in many flavors, in many forums! Now I just avoid the topics ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and I just though of this last night. The ideal way for me to travel would be to have a Class B towing a fifth wheel. I would park the fifth wheel say in Sedona for a month, then use the Class B to travel around in AZ, NM, TX, etc on one day or multi-day trips and use the fifth wheel as home base. Then move it to Utah for a month or so, and do the same. Then Wyoming, Colorado, etc. all across the country.

Ideal, but I haven't seen a Class B that could tow a fifth wheel ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don't want to have to give up the Class B when the wife and I full time because its so useful for those short trips, urban exploration, festivals, day at the beach, etc. And I don't want to backup and move a fifth wheel, large motorhome or trailer every couple days either.

Please learn how quoting works before editing. I did not say what you quoted.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Reflex439 wrote:

Oh, and I just though of this last night. The ideal way for me to travel would be to have a Class B towing a fifth wheel. I would park the fifth wheel say in Sedona for a month, then use the Class B to travel around in AZ, NM, TX, etc on one day or multi-day trips and use the fifth wheel as home base. Then move it to Utah for a month or so, and do the same. Then Wyoming, Colorado, etc. all across the country.

Ideal, but I haven't seen a Class B that could tow a fifth wheel ๐Ÿ˜‰ I don't want to have to give up the Class B when the wife and I full time because its so useful for those short trips, urban exploration, festivals, day at the beach, etc. And I don't want to backup and move a fifth wheel, large motorhome or trailer every couple days either.
Interesting idea - we can actually pull our trailer with our B. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:

You haven't lived yet until you start a discussion about carrying a weapon for self defense in your RV on this forum. You would have thought that I had advocated raping their sister the way some folks lost their cool. That is why I no longer post anything on the Good Sam Forum. Little minds are not my thing. There are too many other RV forums out there.

I don't see how it's related, but I'm not surprised to see that kind of response. Its a heated topic like religion, politics, abortion, with half on one side and half on the other. I can see why some forums put those discussions in their own Topic to keep it segregated from the more mainline topics.

And yes, I have lived through those discussions, in many flavors, in many forums! Now I just avoid the topics ๐Ÿ˜‰

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Reflex439 wrote:
Davydd wrote:
You can argue about where you think you belong but no Class B owner wants to hear people coming on this forum putting them down for lack of size, space or bathrooms with separate showers, etc..

I guess I haven't been around long enough to experience that arguing here. Seems silly though, the larger RV and smaller Class B's are designed for two different purposes and lifestyles. It's like homeowners putting down RVer's because the have wheels. Rivers putting down homeowners because they don't. Those with motorhomes putting down those in pop-ups. Popup owners putting down those in tents. Those in tents putting down backpackers, who in turn put down...So much negative energy for no purpose whatsoever. Shallow people.

I've had both, and enjoyed them both immensely. But there were for completely different stages in my life and very different lifestyles. I'd look foolish taking a Class A to my daughters all day long softball tournament because I wanted to take break between her games. With a Class B, it would go unnoticed.

I have found many of the Class B people are on Facebook groups. Found them more friendly as well. But I still frequent forums and FB Groups for the time being, as I have interest in both Class Bs and fifth wheels.

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
You can argue about where you think you belong but no Class B owner wants to hear people coming on this forum putting them down for lack of size, space or bathrooms with separate showers, etc..

I guess I haven't been around long enough to experience that arguing here. Seems silly though, the larger RV and smaller Class B's are designed for two different purposes and lifestyles. It's like homeowners putting down RVer's because the have wheels. Rivers putting down homeowners because they don't. Those with motorhomes putting down those in pop-ups. Popup owners putting down those in tents. Those in tents putting down backpackers, who in turn put down...So much negative energy for no purpose whatsoever. Shallow people.

I've had both, and enjoyed them both immensely. But there were for completely different stages in my life and very different lifestyles. I'd look foolish taking a Class A to my daughters all day long softball tournament because I wanted to take break between her games. With a Class B, it would go unnoticed.

I have found many of the Class B people are on Facebook groups. Found them more friendly as well. But I still frequent forums and FB Groups for the time being, as I have interest in both Class Bs and fifth wheels.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
The discussion is about the North American market. However, buses are generally built off of an engine/chassis but no cab combination usually after market. It would be commonly accepted in the North American market as a Class A no matter what the size. Of course there are exceptions. Even the term van gets bastardized in definition.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
At one time RV.net was THE place to go for Class B discussion. It has since been eclipsed by the many Class B groups on Facebook. Also, another independent forum for Class Bs has grown under new ownership with much increased activity. It really is that simple.

BTW, there is nothing blurry about Class B or B+. Simply think Class B originates from a VAN chassis and a Class B+ originates from a CUTAWAY chassis. You can argue about where you think you belong but no Class B owner wants to hear people coming on this forum putting them down for lack of size, space or bathrooms with separate showers, etc. If you can't handle owning a Class B just remember RV.net has a subforum for you in the Class C forum labeled Class B+.

Also, Class Cs (or B+ if you insist) outsell Class Bs by about 8 to 1. Numbers bear out if discussion is allowed it would quickly no longer be a Class B Camper VAN forum. If you don't believe that look at the semi-competing Sprinter-Source forum where the Unity type Class C talk dominates Sprinter RV discussions and it makes it difficult and confusing to discuss issues that seem generic in nature but not applicable to Class Bs.

What sort of B originates from a small Urban Japanese Bus? Our definition is inclusive of something that does not exist in the US, but extremely common in Austalia and New Zealand. Like a B in the NA you cannot modify the body, but strip out the interior and replace it with a Motorhome interiors. A B+ does not exist it becomes a Class C

JoeRT04
Explorer
Explorer
The Class B people are on FaceBook. There's now quite a few "B" forums on Facebook. And, as someone mentioned on this post, they-re too busy traveling seeing the country.
I just purchased a used Roadtrek Zion. (I had a 2004 Chevy Popular back in 2006-11 . We loved it so much that after having a Fifth wheel and a Class C, we decided to go back to a "B" for its convenience getting around just about anywhere.)
2015 Class B Roadtrek Zion

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
"we are the people our parents warned us about"

what a great, and fitting line....................

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
where are the "B" people?

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

tworootless
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed for 12 years hauling a 33 ' triple slide 5th wheel behind a 400 HP diesel Volvo 'semi'. No longer interested in towing, we purchased a vintage 1977 Dodge CB300 18' Class B MH with wet-toilet a few months ago. We're the 3rd owners in 40 years! 318 engine has 61,000 original documented miles. The issues are almost everything made of rubber or cork are dried out and leaking. To date have got rid of the 16.5 wheels.Changed to 16" with new 10 ply tires. Installed a new 2 barrel Carter carb., new valve cover gaskets, new spark plugs,cleaned and painted engine. Installed 100W solar panel,repainted interior with two-tone black and white scheme, which will eventually match a black & white checkerboard vinyl tile floor. (RETRO) Just starting to work on suspension system. Way too much body roll for comfort. Adjusted steering box, but still some play. Sorry no photo since I can't figure out how to get photo URL in Picasa!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Ed and I might be about to join your ranks? We're stalking a mid-roof Transit, to be converted to a "sort-of" camper...LOL! Maybe ours will be a "B-"?

We've had a C, a 5er; and now a stripped-down Truck Camper. Most of our journeys are either going back and forth to our condo in FL; or sightseeing trips. We simply don't need all the "stuff" that comes on a motorhome; plus having something shorter than 10' will allow us to park it in a garage. Spending weeks in our truck camper has taught us that there's only a few basics that we REALLY need
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

GailS
Explorer
Explorer
I remember you from the PC site. The 2100 is a C.

We had the 2100 for a year and a half and switch back to a B, our first love.

Safe travels.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We crossed over to the dark side and bought a B+. Interesting that B people don't want you and C people tend to shun you as inferior.
But always a B'er at heart.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!