cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hybrid Versus Non Hybrid Travel Trailer Across North America

wpostma
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to buy a Hybrid Travel Trailer and travel clear across North America, in my case, Canada, with a minivan (3.6l v6). I'm aiming at a unit with a weight under 3000 pounds dry, and will be camping at campgrounds with service hookups. We're a family of six. We are moving from Ontario to British Columbia and
I am in my late 40s, and I want to see the country in between those two points, so I'm driving. If I was younger, I'd be tenting, that's how I rolled in my 20s. Nowadays my back wants a nice bed at the end of the day.

Anyone wanting to put your oar in, or has done anything similar, I'd love to hear about it. There seem to be several varieties of units I can purchase.

My big question is Hybrid or Not Hybrid?

Hybrid disadvantages that I can think of:

1. Emergency walmart camping is out of the question, unless you have a LOT of nerve.

2. I imagine that it's easier to heat a non-hybrid but with electric beds in hybrids, a spring/fall camp out is no problem, right?

Um. That's about all I can think of. Anyone got any more?

Hybrid advantages that I can think of:

1. I can probably tow a 2800 pound hybrid plus equipment, and six people in my minivan that has a towing max GVWR of 3600.

2. I can sleep 6 people (2 adults, 2 teens, 2 young kids) in a hybrid.

3. The tent material is pretty far away from the cooking area, so I'm hopeful the cooking smells won't get into the tent bed ends.

The salespeople tell me that the hybrids don't leak on you when it rains, and that the materials they make the ends out of are amazing materials.

Anyone done a long haul with four to six people, and an SUV or minivan, and a hybrid trailer? Stories? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks!

Warren Postma
Toronto Canada
38 REPLIES 38

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
BUT you're a bit off on the weight. Jayco's website says its UVW is 4615lbs and a GVWR of 6500.

I was going to say that there's no TT of that size, that weighs 3400lbs.

I was going to ask him to CONFIRM that info as it looked VERY, Very light.

Congratulations! Sounds like you solved your question. Jayco makes some nice campers, you will enjoy it :C

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
wpostma wrote:
Well not to hijack my own thread, but I ended up buying a 30 foot conventional travel trailer (Jayco 264 BHW) not a hybrid, it weighs in at a chunky 3400 lbs dry, and plan to tow it with a Suburban or similar truck-frame V8-engine style SUV.

Congrats on your new TT.

BUT you're a bit off on the weight. Jayco's website says its UVW is 4615lbs and a GVWR of 6500.

I was going to say that there's no TT of that size, that weighs 3400lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wpostma
Explorer
Explorer
Well not to hijack my own thread, but I ended up buying a 30 foot conventional travel trailer (Jayco 264 BHW) not a hybrid, it weighs in at a chunky 3400 lbs dry, and plan to tow it with a Suburban or similar truck-frame V8-engine style SUV.

b75
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a KZ Frontier it still has a bed that slides like the side slides.It might be something to look into I'm only pulling 25 feet but slides out to 30.It is a lot quieter than my hybrid was.

wpostma
Explorer
Explorer
I heard that people call that "hybrid without the ends out" thing at a walmart, "turtling" (like a turtle who keeps its legs and its head inside its shell)

W

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
onebadcj8 wrote:
I've wanted one of these for a while myself and can find some pretty decent ones around if I want to travel some. In the last month I bought a regular travel trailer as I wasn't able to find the right Hybrid, we took it down to Port Aransas, TX for a week last week and on the way down and back up we stayed over night at Wal-Mart stores with no issues, the first there were a couple others but the one coming back in FT Stockton was packed. At either I never felt uneasy that there could be an issue but did wonder if it would feel the same in a Hybrid.

Have any of you actually done it? I saw where one fellow didn't think it would be an issue, but have you actually done it? Has anyone here? Did you feel safe? I wouldn't think it would be much different than ion a camp ground, anything can happen there as well. Also how is the noise factor? I've had a pop-up before and we enjoyed it but it was more noise prone than the travel trailer. I'm asking as we would still like to get one, the difference in usable space is incredible!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have a Hybrid and have spent several over nights at Walmarts.

You do NOT open the tent ends to sleep overnight at a Walmart/Cabelas, etc.

In the Hybrids, the couch opens to a bed and the dinette folds into a bed. THAT is where you sleep.

You only open up when you are in a campground.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

onebadcj8
Explorer
Explorer
I've wanted one of these for a while myself and can find some pretty decent ones around if I want to travel some. In the last month I bought a regular travel trailer as I wasn't able to find the right Hybrid, we took it down to Port Aransas, TX for a week last week and on the way down and back up we stayed over night at Wal-Mart stores with no issues, the first there were a couple others but the one coming back in FT Stockton was packed. At either I never felt uneasy that there could be an issue but did wonder if it would feel the same in a Hybrid.

Have any of you actually done it? I saw where one fellow didn't think it would be an issue, but have you actually done it? Has anyone here? Did you feel safe? I wouldn't think it would be much different than ion a camp ground, anything can happen there as well. Also how is the noise factor? I've had a pop-up before and we enjoyed it but it was more noise prone than the travel trailer. I'm asking as we would still like to get one, the difference in usable space is incredible!

Dan

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
Knock on wood, I've never had a problem, either, with bed ends open or closed. I think the previous owners may have had a problem, though, since the canvas has all been replaced.

I love my hybrid. I still look at other campers regularly and I have never found anything I like nearly as well. It's perfect for me when I travel alone and when I have my grandchildren with me.
BabaMartha

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
b75 wrote:
I wouldn't get a hybrids i had an 02 cabana had it for 10years we could not stop it from leaking when stored.The only time the fabric leaked around the beds is if it rained hard for a few days then we couldn't sleep because of bed getting wet.

Lots of improvements on hybrids since 2002.
Never had leak issues on our 2007 Roo, over the 10 years we've owned.
Better clamping system and better seals.
The newer pre-attached canvas system have even less leak issues.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
b75 wrote:
I wouldn't get a hybrids i had an 02 cabana had it for 10years we could not stop it from leaking when stored.The only time the fabric leaked around the beds is if it rained hard for a few days then we couldn't sleep because of bed getting wet.

We've had a Starcraft hybrid for years. Never had a leak open or closed.

If yours leaked closed, probably had bad seals.

b75
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
bikendan wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Hi Bob, you will never find a modern day equivalent to the Bantam B-19.

Unloaded non-slide 19ft modern day: 3933 lbs Empty.

R-vision made the lightest hybrids ever made.

Love My R-vision

I'm towing it back from Florida right now (currently in a Walmart in Ohio).

Someone said Hybrids had thin mattresses. Ours are about 8 inches thick and comfy.

I am doing everything possible to keep mine in tip top shape so I don't have to worry about trying to find something as nice!!!

PS - I don't think I would want to pull mine with a mini van... Definately note, in fact.

You have a Trail Cruiser/ Trail-Sport. They are not the same as the lower weight Bantam series.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Hi Bob, you will never find a modern day equivalent to the Bantam B-19.

Unloaded non-slide 19ft modern day: 3933 lbs Empty.

R-vision made the lightest hybrids ever made.

Love My R-vision

I'm towing it back from Florida right now (currently in a Walmart in Ohio).

Someone said Hybrids had thin mattresses. Ours are about 8 inches thick and comfy.

I am doing everything possible to keep mine in tip top shape so I don't have to worry about trying to find something as nice!!!

PS - I don't think I would want to pull mine with a mini van... Definately note, in fact.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
wpostma wrote:
Original thread guy here.

I'm actually thinking I want to buy a Suburban (or similar 6 or 7 passenger SUV on a V8 truck frame) and haul a 24 foot ultralight travel trailer.

My 2013 dodge caravan SE is gutless, and I don't want to spend money on adding electric trailer brake controls and wiring harnesses and anti-sway toying stuff on this gutless wonder.

Warren

Hi my sub is a 7 passenger with center buckets. 2,451 lb payload/ 7,600 lb towing
Beast weighs 7,000 pounds and can toss around 5,000 to 6,000 lb empty trailers. Full heavy duty: steering, cooling, oil coolers, and same guts of a 3/4 to one ton SRW hd pickup

Not all SUV are built this way except excursion v10
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt