cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 born free imperial any thoughts?

rvlegaleagle
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into the 2016 or 2017 Born Free Imperial with the F-550 GAS chassis, anyone have any experience or knowledge they could share? Thanks:)
13 REPLIES 13

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered mine delivered from Motorhomes of Texas.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

rvlegaleagle
Explorer
Explorer
The wheelbase on the 2017 BF Imperial is 252. Here is what I received from BF on the 2017 Imperial

"These are 19,500 GVWR chassis with a wheelbase of 252โ€, 11โ€™ 4โ€ to top of air conditioning, 33โ€™ 7โ€ bumper to bumper, the low point would be at the rear axle at 9โ€ from the ground, the tires are Continental 225 70 R 19.5 load range G, No basements on any Born Frees fresh water tank & all fresh water lines are above RV floor only waste tanks are below, Auto gen start is option, 2000 watt outback pure sine inverter, there is auto transfer switch, as long as you are willing to give up some under floor storage you can do (4) batteries Lifeline AGM 300AH, All coach windows are dual thermopane, Fantastic fan with remote, rain sensor, temp but no covers, 7 cu ft fridge, & this information is for our 2017 model year."

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Just for my edification, I'm familiar with Class C chassis being ordered with 158" wheelbase then stretched by an aftermarket outfit to Ford standards for the specific coach it's being built on.

What's done with chassis wheelbase on F-Series for Super C's?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion is Born Free is a very good coach with decent service. It's not top of the line but very good overall in quality and dependability.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rvlegaleagle
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I am waiting to hear back from BF to see if I can order the 2017 F-550 GAS chassis with all the options I want included from Ford, hopefully I can!

There is also someone who bought the 2016 Imperial model in my state which when they get back from Florida I hope I can look at. Then I will have to take a ride out to Iowa (oh boy).

Thanks for all your input and if anyone has any more please post it!

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked very seriously at the Born Free Imperial. Very well built unit. My only objection is they offer very small outside storage compartments. I am leaning more toward the Dynamax Isata 5 Series because of the storage issue.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ordered a royal Splendor in the dodge 5500 chassis with dual fuel tanks and dual alternators and fifty amp service and two AC u its. The second AC is not ducted but that is ok. I am 29 foot and I got the cummins engine and Onan generator. Can't wait till it is built as they build great u its. I have owned two of them in the past with no issues at all other then one transfer switch.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

rvlegaleagle
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Youtube and put in "Born Free Imperial" they have a nice video on the 2016. At the beginning he says it can also be ordered with the F-550 GAS. If you watch it, there are two ducted A/Cs (livingroom/bedroom) 50amp service. As I said, the diesel in the F-550 super duty XLT is an upgrade option, the gas V-10 is fine with me:)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
born free among the top ten better made rv,s in my opinion, owned a 2001 bf and loved it,but the price of gas killed it. so I bought a diesel.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
There's a dis-something between me and the specs you quote.

Either a dis-parity between webpage and the actual coach, or

(and more likely) a dis-lexia on my part.

Anyhow, 50A and Two A/C units address the biggest concern I had. Far as the chassis goes, I'd like to have

1. Ford Chassis
2. Cummins Engine
3. Allison Transmission

That or just a Ford Gasser...

Years ago, when Holiday Rambler Class C's and gas Class A's were a cut above everybody else, the top line model was the "Imperial." Glad to see that movie playing again, and I think this Born Free deserves to wear the Imperial Name. Chrysler Imperial was an impressive automobile, too...

rvlegaleagle
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the imperial does have 2 A/Cs and is a 50amp service. The floor plan will work for me, just need to see if the fresh water can go to 50gal and a few more things. As to the gas, well you know all about that gas v diesel...lol

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used Born Free last August and continue to be very pleased with the quality of the unit. In addition we have experienced great support from the company when we have those questions that come up particularly with people like us who are new to the class c world.

I can't comment on the particular unit you asked about but as a company they are excellent.
2004 Born Free class c

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is based on my nearly 20 years in Class C's, this forum, and the Born Free webpage.

Born Free is a great coach.

F550 is a great chassis, and it'll turn tighter than our E450, which would be a blessing.

I wonder why you don't want Diesel in such a high line coach. That said, the Ford V10 will provide plenty of power.

I found Born Free's website a little lacking in detail. The design seems to be what I'll call "Elegantly Spartan" such as non-carpeted floors and a fairly simple floor plan.

Maybe I didn't look carefully enough, but I couldn't tell if the electrical service was 30- or 50-Amp. Also couldn't tell if the 15000-BTU A/C was the only choice. This Imperial is probably about the same size interior as a "31" or "32" foot Class C, with the difference in overall length being the longer F-Series chassis.

To say, a 15000 A/C is marginal in a Class C this size. We get by with ours. It keeps us cool if we cordon the cockpit off. We often have to "load shed" on 30-Amp service. So... a couple points:

1. And this is above all: The FLOOR PLAN has to work for YOU. If it doesn't, keep looking, no matter how good the rest of the coach is.

2. Without being able to dig into the details, I'd like such an exquisite unit to be 50-Amp, with Two 13500 A/C units, feeding into one common discharge duct. That gives you plenty of cooling power, and you can have limited cooling with less amps of shore tie, or the failure of one A/C unit.

I wish there was better detail on the BF webpage.