cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attwood Hot Water Heater Noise

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, We just unwinterized our new to us 2015 40E, which we purchased over the winter. First, I found that I have no heating on A/C on the Attwood hot water heater, but it heats great on gas. I checked the obvious coach circuit breaker and it was not tripped. On top of that, when you run hot water from the faucets or shower, it make a high pitched whistle noise. Not sure if the two issue are related. I would like to go back to the Camping World dealer and see if they will make it right, since we were unable to test the water system in the dead of winter during the purchase process. Any suggestions on a fix, or opinion on going back to the dealer on this? Thx, Jeff
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad
14 REPLIES 14

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully it will, I gave my CW the whole story with names from the other CW when I made the appointment for next week, and they had no problem with that. Both locations are the same company, right? The GM in OKC CW has been really great on this.
Jeff and Kim

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
janstey58 wrote:
Camping World Rocks!! I called the GM at the Oklahoma City CW and within days I had a positive response they were going to repair my hot water heater issue at my local CW dealer. Great news and a positive story on CW!!

Great IF it actually happens.

One place making promises for another place :H

Post back END RESULTS.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World Rocks!! I called the GM at the Oklahoma City CW and within days I had a positive response they were going to repair my hot water heater issue at my local CW dealer. Great news and a positive story on CW!!
Jeff and Kim

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, wish they would have offered that. We had to do our PDI and personal stuff transfer after hours (we arrived at 11am, they closed at 5pm, and our PDI was a 6pm in the dark outside). The GM admitted they could have done better. The financing was great earlier in the day, but the PDI lacked. I am hoping CW is reading this and will make it right, as the GM stated during the deal.
Jeff and Kim

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
We are 180 miles south of OKC and weather is about the same in winter. When we deliver a coach in winter, WE PRESSURIZE AND TEST THE SYSTEM REGARDLESS. We keep it indoors until the customer picks up and we demonstrate the system to show it works. We then, after all is done we ask if the customer wants us to winterize it. Most do. Which we do at no charge. I will bet the Dealer KNEW you would be out of state and elected to not spend the time checking out the water system. Doug

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. We just purchased this coach in late December at Camping World in OKC, OK. I was told since we couldn't PDI the water system due to winterization they would make anything that came up immediately post un-winterization "right." I have emailed the GM there and hoping they will help with this.
Jeff and Kim

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same 12V DC FUSE feeds both ON/OFF switches so DC power to the switches is GOOD (gas works)

Element is fed from an individual 120V AC circuit breaker.....turn it OFF then back ON to insure it is NOT tripped

12V DC tests......with electric switch ON
12V on following wires
WHITE to circuit board (top connector)
BROWN from circuit board (bottom connector) and BROWN to circuit board (top connector)
YELLOW from circuit board (bottom connector)

120V AC tests....backside of WH tank under protective cover
Electric switch OFF
Continuity between BLACK and WHITE wire terminals...no continuity element BAD
Continuity between WHITE wire terminal and element flange----if you measure continuity the element is BAD

6 point 1 1/2" socket to remove element...WH Tank empty!

Noise when running hot water

Most likely culprit is the cheap check valve assembly in HOT out (top fitting on tank). Plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly that gets clogged with scale/scud. Then they chatter and then fail
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2Fliers
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is likely due to 1 of 3 issues:
1. The element is burned out because somebody turned it on with no water in the tank
2. A bad relay - my heater has a small plastic box that contains a relay that receives a signal from the circuit board that turns on the heating element. When you switch the electric water heater on, you should be able to hear the relay click. https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93849-Relay/dp/B004QMXTHE
2. A bad circuit board - If it is not the relay or the element, it is probably the board. I replaced mine with a Dinosaur board, which comes with a 3 year warranty. http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/

Good Luck
Mary Gail and Bobby
Sold the Truck - got a Jeep
Sold the Toy Hauler - getting a tent

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Can you verify with a meter that there is actually voltage present at the water heater element? If not, then there's definitely a switch or breaker or fuse or even a broken wire keeping the current from getting to the element. If there is electricity present at the connection to the element, then the element itself is most likely burned out.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater bypass valve (single valve) is in Normal position. I have only one hot water heater electric switch, and when turned on I monitor the current draw for the coach, and it never increases.
Jeff and Kim

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Did you open the bypass valves on the water heater?

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has a red, lighted switch on the wall above the sink in the bathroom to turn the water heater on/off. There is also a main switch inside the cabinet below, right at the water heater that must be on for the water heater to work. You might want to look around for a switch that's hidden from plain view.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
It is a medium pitched whistle, not quite as high pitched as a tea kettle. High pitched Hum would be a good description. This also occurs on the water pump pressure, without city hookup, so I don't think it is an over pressure issue.
Jeff and Kim

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay is the whistle noise a "whistle" like sounds like a tea pot or is it more like a high pitch hum sound? Are you running a water pressure regulator as these can generate a sound such as this - also so can a water hammer reducer.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.