cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Even a pardon won't allow you to cross anymore.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
This applies to folks heading into the US. If you have had a run-in with the law and were found guilty, served the time, apply for and received a pardon...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3291746/calgary-man-warning-others-after-humiliating-experience-at-u-s-bor...

Or..even if you are a born in Canada Canadian Citizen

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/editpost/forum/65/editTID/29212043/thread/29212043.cfm

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
34 REPLIES 34

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
My point, and I assume ROBERTSUNRUS was as well is that there ARE those that can and do harass people because they can. To this day I still remember customs harassing my grandmother, me and my sister, digging through her purse, being extremely rude and flippant because she wasn't answering as fast as he felt she should (She was 70 and this was her 1st airplane trip)and being nasty to us kids as well. That was 1968, long before the issues we have today. Of all places, Customs @YYZ have always been the best

🙂 Hi, I didn't want to get into all of the details, but I will tell some. We are two old people in our late sixties and early seventies. We also had an 18 year old dog with us. We don't have any records, don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, home owners, fully insured, Etc. They pulled an infra-red temp gun out of my truck and asked what this was for like it was a weapon or something. They ripped an interior panel off of my trailer. They told us to bring our dog inside because it was too hot for him. They told us our dog couldn't come in and to take him out. Then we were told to bring him back in again. We were told to wait in line and when we got to the front they said that we had to sit back down because we didn't take a number. They told us to get into this line and later told us it was the wrong line. I asked them, "what did we do wrong?" They kept saying nothing. They harassed us for over two hours. They finally said it was OK to continue and I asked for a place to turn back to USA. Lot more to this story, but this should give you some idea of what happened to us. We have been to Canada many times before with no problems. This was our first time in Eastern Canada.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an update on this case. They're still working on it.
Border

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
The Canadians are just slowing you down till they get their wall put up.;)

And their phones tapped.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Canadians are just slowing you down till they get their wall put up.;)
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least when I went thru the ICE people on both sides obviously have access to a database with info on just about everyone. I have a CWP in Florida and when I crossed into Canada we got the second degree about if we had guns with us. Even tho I had not said anything about guns they knew. I'm sure criminal history also pops up in that database.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how Pardon's work in Canada, but in the US if you have been pardoned by a Governor or the President, and you get asked by a government official if you have a criminal record, (in most cases) you are legally allowed to say, "No, I do not." I say most cases because there are exceptions like when applying for law enforcement jobs and trying to get a government security clearance. Even if you have been pardoned you have to reveal it. Now if you are a Canadian who has been pardoned of some offense, you may wish to check with a lawyer first because I'm not one, but you may legally be able to cross the border and tell them "No" if asked if you have a criminal conviction.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
This applies to folks heading into the US. If you have had a run-in with the law and were found guilty, served the time, apply for and received a pardon...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3291746/calgary-man-warning-others-after-humiliating-experience-at-u-s-bor...

Or..even if you are a born in Canada Canadian Citizen

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/editpost/forum/65/editTID/29212043/thread/29212043.cfm

Gary Haupt

This is all about knowing the rules,

My daughter was almost not allowed to take our granddaughter back HOME to Ireland, as she was told she didn't need to have both of my granddaughters passports, only her US passport. Well she got stopped at the Airline check-in counter. It took several calls to clear up the issue, that is the last time she traveled without both passports.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
I too am a NEXUS card holder who has cross by both air and truck many times. ITS random but I have had myself pulled in and the truck completely searched quite a few times.
Got nothing to hide..... you have nothing to worry but lose a bit of time. Still works for me.

PS the DUI works both ways. You cannot enter Canada or the USA with a DUI record.
Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
My point, and I assume ROBERTSUNRUS was as well is that there ARE those that can and do harass people because they can. To this day I still remember customs harassing my grandmother, me and my sister, digging through her purse, being extremely rude and flippant because she wasn't answering as fast as he felt she should (She was 70 and this was her 1st airplane trip)and being nasty to us kids as well. That was 1968, long before the issues we have today. Of all places, Customs @YYZ have always been the best
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
whats your point? I believe his was that it was unwarranted,

Ok. I'll bite, I'll try again.

Nobody wants to be delayed and searched, I certainly do not. But what is the alternative? Targeted searching? Only search those with darker skin, missing teeth, NRA stickers, etc? Do that, and suddenly you'll find contraband being carried by white middle aged folks or that all the Islamic terrorists will be from Chechnya, as they know they will never be searched!
The other alternative is to have no searches at all!
No , that's not going to work. It would appear that random searches are the lesser evil.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
This issue does indeed work both ways. It has for years now. However, i don't understand the logic that, after decades, the person is still considered "undesirable". I would think (hope!) that anybody would of changed their tune by then, providing there isn't continuing offences. But to have to pay a 'fine' and then be allowed in doesn't make any sense.
Nowadays, it doesn't even matter if you have had a criminal offence, you just have to have different coloured skin! Good time to spend our money up here and support local business'!

Denied Entry

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I took my son and his family over to Detroit Metro airport a week ago as they were flying to Florida. When at the US side, the border agent took our passports and ran them through the computer. My son has a dui from years ago. The agent said, after he made a phone call, that our number was up to be checked out but he told whomever he talked to that we were on our way to the airport and after asking us how many times we enter the US we were on our way. My son had never been denied entry to the US with his dui which is a criminal conviction in Canada.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The article states he was "charged" with drug trafficking. It appears he was charged and convicted. He made a mistake and paid for it, just don't expect to enter the U S. I see no problem with the policy. If it is reasonable for one country to deny entry for a DWI conviction then to deny entry for drug trafficking is also reasonable. I do not agree with that waiver policy. Paying for a waiver doesn't make him less of a threat. It may cover costs of paperwork.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
LOL ... The guy is upset because he was sent to secondary ONE time and now hates Canada. Try it in my shoes, secondary EVERY time we cross, all because of my work history in the US, 48½ years of military & law enforcement. One summer we crossed back and forth 6-8 times in the RV with Canada putting us in secondary every time. Shortest period was 45 minutes, longest was 3± hours. Do I hate Canada for doing their job of keeping their country safe, NO.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today