cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 Keystone Springdale 5th Wheel Remodel

maestroscherzo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I plan on doing a little remodeling of our 2004 Keystone Springdale (249bh) before we take er back out to our seasonal site in South eastern Manitoba. I purchased the 5th wheel last year (2016) in February and we drove 8 hours to go pick it up. We lucked out and missed the crazy storm that hit us in Winnipeg about an hour after we arrived home with it. We used it all last season at our seasonal site and have loved it. Before, we were camping in a 1950-something 16`RoadRunner, which was great but a bit small for the 4 of us and getting a bit old.

After having camped all last year with the Springdale, I decided there was a few cosmetic issues that I wanted to address. So, here's a list of things that I want to do/have started to do. I may add or remove things as time goes on, but it's a start.

• Flooring (Replace peeling laminate and very interestingly colored carpet with Vinyl click and lock planks)
  • Replace all window coverings. (Take down old valences and replace with curtains that I will make.)
  • Re-upholster dinette cushions and jack-knife couch (maybe a slip-cover for the couch, not sure yet.)
  • Replace the dinette table with a custom wood grain table.
  • Finish building screen house

So far I have had the chance to take down all the old valences and start with the curtains. The original fabric I had picked is apparently a little too 70s and floral so I will be heading back to the Fabric store to change it up a bit. I will be waiting to start laying the flooring until it warms up, as it's still quite cold up here. We've started the framing for the screen house, which will be built using panels that can be taken down every year. Pictures will be up as soon as I learn how to post them.
8 REPLIES 8

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
Your RV looks wonderful - great work!! Love the custom look.

maestroscherzo
Explorer
Explorer
The couch is finally done! It was definetly the most ambitious sewing project I have taken on to date and although I found it to be a bit challenging, I was actually surprised at how smooth it went and how it turned out. As you can see, the kitty approved immediately, which is always a good sign.

About half way through the couch, my old singer sewing machine finally had enough. Luckily for me, I was able to get ahold of a reasonably priced Singer Simple machine the next day. By no means is it a fancy machine, however it is just right for what I do. Sewed through the thick couch material with ease. Easy to set up, easy to use. I am very pleased with it and am excited to get some more use out of it!

Here are a couple pics with the couch installed and the first two of four couch pillows.

Next up is the carpet. We have already torn out the strip of carpet underneath the slide. As the original floor extends under there anyways, I don't think we will replace that area with carpet. We will do the slide and the 'master bedroom' area, hopefully sometime in the next week. The tabletop is also a project I hope to finish up this week. Less than a month away from bringing it out to our seasonal site, so we have to start to wrap things up. As we haven't ever installed carpet, we are hoping because it is a small space that it isn't too hard. ๐Ÿ™‚

maestroscherzo
Explorer
Explorer
A few more updates! ๐Ÿ™‚
Our LED's came in about 2 weeks ago and are now installed. I am very pleased with the quality and color of the light they emit. As you can see in the photos below (one with the cover on, one with it off) the new LED's are a pure soft white whereas the old incandescent bulbs are more orangey-yellow (Left is incandescent, Right is new LED`s). We left one of each in just for comparison. I have yet to see how long they last or if we have any issues with them, but as of now I am very satisfied.

I was also able to complete the recovering of the dinette cushions and the surrounding piece. I am very happy with the way they turned out. I am by no means an expert sewer and this was the first time I had ever even attempted sewing a zipper. I am very happy the results. The pieces surrounding were recovered as well, it was very easy. All I had to do was pop off the button screw covers and unscrew the wood that the fabric was screwed to. Then pull out the (what seemed like) 1001 staples and then recover.

Next up is the couch. We went out to the 5th wheel yesterday (where we have it stored during the off-season) and took the couch part home. I will start taking apart the old fabric as a template and then sew up the new fabric. The new fabric is a darker brown. I think it will tone down the blue nicely and I will make 4 pillows to place on it to break up the brown. (Two in the fabric used to do the surrounds of the dinette and two in blue). I will also be starting on a new tabletop shortly. Then, last up this season is a bit of a change from our original plans. We were going to lay a vinyl click and lock style 'wood' floor, but with time running short, we have decided that we will just replace the carpet instead. (On the slide and in the bedroom area.) Here's a pic of just the frame of the couch left, and a bonus one of the clock that I made that we hung last night. Thanks for reading, hopefully it is an enjoyable process to see. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll do my best to answer them!

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
looks good
you are making it yours
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have same trailer only 2006. Only thing we have done is replace the miniblinds with pleated shades to better block out the morning sun.

Will be great to see the transformation.

maestroscherzo
Explorer
Explorer
Some progress has been made ๐Ÿ™‚
I've spent the last week making the curtains for the main area. The thing that took the longest was probably choosing the fabric. It is a bit plainer than I probably would have chosen, but I like it nonetheless.

This is the kitchen window, with a close up of the curtains. The photo doesn't quite show the blue the way it looks in person.

The two above were taken from the bottom bunk. All in all, I used about 3.5 yards of fabric, had to purchase 4 curtain rods for a grand total of just under $40.00. Next up will be the dinette cushions and surrounding area. The plan right now is to have the top cushion a blue that matches the curtains and the bottom cushion a darker beige maybe?
We're also expecting a shipment of LED's to come in any day now to replace all of the bulbs. We have a wide assortment of batteries that we will use and also have a Powerhouse 3100i genny and a Yamaha 1000w as well if needed. (I prefer not to use the generators too much if not needed, environmentally speaking.)

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
We did same to ours
it really looks better, only we have not recovered the seats yet
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

maestroscherzo
Explorer
Explorer

At our seasonal site last Spring.

Our seasonal site in the fall of 2016. Taking down the deck and taking measurements for the screen house we're currently building.

This is the current interior. I had already taken down the valences and if you look closely, the 70s fabric is on the left. Needless to say, it did not stay. The ugly fabric on the dinette will be going, as well as the linoleum and carpet.

With the valence up and the cushions on the dinette. All original. Not horrible, but it's definitely not my style. (That is a dryer sheet underneath the mirror.)