cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Slide or Not

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at Class B+ and C to purchase. Not new as I can't afford those prices. Maybe a 2003 thru 2012. Would appreciate advice on the advantages and disadvantages of a slide. Are there manual slides and electronic slides?
32 REPLIES 32

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to look for if you don't want slides is what they call a "split bathroom". It opens up the coach like nobody's business!!

I am always getting comments from fellow RV'ers and 'many' with big Class A's how much room my MH has. Most coaches that have the side bathroom, the bathroom is so small you can't move AND it creates a long dark hallway in the coach or in some a complete wall with the hallway on the side. Making the front of the coach enclosed and small even on a 40 footer!!.

On the split bath there is a pocket door from the kitchen to bath and a folding door from bath to bedroom for privacy. When these 2 are open it really creates a big open feel from the front all the way to the back of the coach AND all the light that comes into it. Not to mention all the room in the bathroom area!! ๐Ÿ™‚

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We decided to go with a dual slide unit after renting a variety of lengths of class C rvs, slide and no slide, over a period of 10 years. This included Forest River, Coachmen, Tioga, and Safari brands in lengths from 24 to 32 feet.

During our rentals we found a 26 foot unit with a dinette slide to be the best compromise for us for length and maneuverability. These units also had corner queen beds. When we went to buy though, we found this 28 foot unit with dual slides and full basement.

Though it is heavier than a single slide unit it has the room to support long trips in comfort with adequate storage. It also has a full rear pass through compartment though only a couple of feet tall on the full pass through. The queen bed in the rear is walk-around with the rear slide out. The unit is also fully usable with slides in, only a couple of drawers are blocked by the rear queen bed slide.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did not buy our Class C based on some primary way the two us and one small dog wanted to travel and camp. On the surface this approach seems to be a very practical and common sense one.

We instead bought our RV based on maximum flexibility so as to be able to use it in the widest possible variety of ways. It's a 24 foot widebody non-slide model: Being widebody, it is not too crowded even when we have to stay inside all day. Being short overall length, we can fit into small or large campsites and complete, or almost complete, U-turns on most residential streets. Not having slides we can use all of the facilities all of the time for quick stops, or during "emergencies" when the DW has to walk on a flat, smooth floor back to use the bathroom while I safely drive straight at a steady speed down a highway. Not having a slide provides stronger structural strength for our occasional rockhound exploring trips on often rough off-pavemet roads. Also, we just plain prefer to keep life as simple as possible - considering all the other mechanical and electrical stuff you have to be aware of and maintain with an RV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Slides add room when you are parked in a campground or RV park. That is their only plus.

All the negatives posted so far are correct. A lot more weight (500-1,000 lbs each) and future maintenance problems. We use ours for traveling so less weight makes for better handling on the road. Keeps us well under the maximum even fully packed. We also overnight in rest stops a lot where slides shouldn't be deployed anyway.

Dumbest design trend is the bedroom slide that has to be deployed to use the bed. Worthless if you're on the road a lot.

I also forgot. We frequently boondock and sometimes that takes us down some pretty long and rough dirt roads. The rig holds together better with no slides and the extra weight to worry about.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
For us. We have camped and RV'ed for about 48 years. We have a 23 ft Class C. A bigger rig or having slides would mean we would have to give up going to about 60% of the places we enjoy. But we love the back country and much of it has small camp sites and trees or brush around the sites and no room for slides and not much longer.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Everytime I go look at new RV's I fall in love with some unit with a slide. They feel so roomy inside compared to my non slide unit or the bed is walk around. But I have found that the non slide fits my travel style better. If I went to campgrounds and stayed for a week or longer I think I would upgrade to a slide unit, but I get itchy feet every couple days and want to move on. A few times I have gone destination camping, once in the Keys and once at Quartzite and when I got hit with bad weather the slide would have been real nice, but usually I am on the road or in a Natl park and will stay 2 or 3 days at one site then move to another park or just move to another camp ground in the same park. I like to keep things as simple as possible, my last new car (2012) had crank windows, manual trans and no keyless entry.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
In all fairness, our friends' 30' Sunseeker has 2 slides; and I think they said they can access everything except one bedroom drawer when their slides are in?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally never been a fan. Leaks, rattles, more weight, more maintenance, more repairs, breakdowns, etc., and the structure of the slide takes up too much space when it is retracted. If I need the extra room, I buy a longer RV. Just my 2c...

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent information from all. I don't think that I would pay extra for a unit having a slide. However, if the price was similar to one without a slide I would consider either.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two slides in our 30" Cambria and wouldn't have purchased without them. As far as those frightened the slide may not retract it is similar to having power windows, what would you do if your window wouldn't go up in the pouring rain.At least the slide you can manually retract.
Use the locks that keep the slide from opening by itself, I had a weld break on the bracket that is attached to the retraction rail and the rear of the slide moved out a few inches at 65mph. The front lock, properly engaged, saved the day.
Maintenance: keep the rails clean and mildly lubed. When a slide is out it attracts dust/dirt and will slow the movement in/out.
The most important suggestion is look at coaches that fit YOUR needs. Sit in it with slides both open and closed. Tons of slides out there, tons of happy users.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
For these reasons I decided on a no slide MH. :C

Our decision process was similar. To add to Rock's excellent list of slide-retracted restrictions, in some coaches, the retracted slide restricts the position of the driver and/or passenger seat.

For us, though, the decision was pretty much weight and maintenance driven. We looked at a 28 and ended up with a 31. That eased "space" issues, adding to maneuvering issues. There's still a choke point where both of us want to be in the narrow space between galley and dinette, even if one is just passing front to rear.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO Slides are highly over rated! You think you are gaining a whole nuther room, but in actuality all it does is push your couch or dinette out which gives nothing more than one or maybe two feet more 'aisle space' to the actual interior of your coach.

If you do decide to buy one with slides be SURE to make the owner/dealership pull ALL the slides IN before you buy.

The first thing the salesman will tell you is there is no battery installed so he can not bring the slides in. Yup, he does NOT want to bring the slides in because you will see just how much it limits the use of the coach when they are in.

I make them get a battery and pull the slides in or walk off the showroom floor to another dealers.

You will find on many if not all, that when the slides are all in you have NO access to one or more of the following, the sink, bathroom or closet in the bedroom. When you are traveling or choose to stop to rest etc. You will not have access to most of the inside of the coach.

If the DW gets cold while you are driving and wants to get a sweater out of the closet you will have a very unhappy DW because she won't be able to get to it. A bedroom slide when in eliminates your access to it when it is in.

And, forget about getting a sandwich on the run made while on the road because you will most likely not be able to get to the sink and/or fridge.

The more slides you order the less access you will have to the inside of your coach unless you deploy the slides.

If you are a destination weekend RV'er this might not be a problem for you but if you full time, snowbird, or take long trips it will become inconvenient often.

The C's have a weight issue to begin with adding the weight of the slides just adds to the problem.
I've often wondered when they add a slide to just one side if they counter that weight to balance the coach?

For these reasons I decided on a no slide MH. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
I think it has to do with your personal use of your rig. If it is a single person, maybe a couple going with no slide might be just fine. Also depends on how much time you spend inside, versus outside. Our Jayco has one slide, we like the additional space for friends or grandkids. But if it is just the two of us we could go without. Our's works manually as well. It doesn't obstruct the bathroom door or anything. Matter of fact, we often travel and don't open it overnight unless we are staying longer. Ours secures with braces so the slide is double locked closed. Hope that helps.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am one who did not have them then got them and now this next coach that I have ordered will not have any. The slide steals storage space for a bit of extra walkway. Sure some layouts let you have a east west bed in a slide but everything is a compromise. I rather be solid and no slide issues and the benefit id when traveling you are home still. I am going smaller now but if I went back to a class A I would either order a coach without one or go with a super c without one. I have had them for ten years and did not have them for 7 and decided that I rathe r not have any.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts