cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newer F-53 Steering Wheel Alignment

RMtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Fleetwood Bounder. It came with steering wheel centered at 1 O'clock position while driving straight down the road,there are no alignment issues. Dealer and Ford will not do anything about this. I fallowed the 1998 ford Service Bulletin QVM Bulletin No. Q-59, but that is for older F-53 steering wheel adjustments. This new F-53 has master splines and can not be put in different positions. Has anyone been able to solve this issue? I live in Houston TX area and seems no shop wants to deal with Class A Ford F-53 steering issues with in a 100 miles of here.
17 REPLIES 17

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
As RLS7201 mentioned there are different methods to center the steering wheel on the F53 chassis depending on the model year. The method he outlined for his coach is the same as the one outlined in the 2013 Ford F53 service manual.

I'm not sure what model year Ford changed from removing the steering wheel to making the adjustment at the gear box. I would guess it to be about 2010 or 2011 when the SRS (air bags) were introduced in the 450 series trucks.

For those suggesting adjustments be made at the tie rod or drag link, OEM Ford parts don't have any adjustments on those components that will straighten the steering wheel while keeping the wheels in the proper alignment. There are some after market drag links that are adjustable, but given the longevity of the OEM parts I doubt there are very many in service.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
2006 they removed the steering wheel and replaced it.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
RMtravelers wrote:
Appears my F53 2016 is done at steering box. I will look into it if it looks like something I can do. Guess ford did this for the air bags in steering wheel, but class A's don't have the air bags. Alignment is perfect. do not want to touch alignment until it is needed. Just need steering wheel to be centered while driving straight down the road. Thanks for all the comments, if anyone has adjusted steering wheel position at the steering gear box, let me know how it went.

I straightened my steering wheel at the steering box. Was lucky, one spline clockwise was perfect for me. 1 spline = 10 degrees of wheel movement.
After removing the clamping bolt, drive a wedge in the slot to loosen the coupler, then lift it off the splines. No bandaids or cursing needed.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RMtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Appears my F53 2016 is done at steering box. I will look into it if it looks like something I can do. Guess ford did this for the air bags in steering wheel, but class A's don't have the air bags. Alignment is perfect. do not want to touch alignment until it is needed. Just need steering wheel to be centered while driving straight down the road. Thanks for all the comments, if anyone has adjusted steering wheel position at the steering gear box, let me know how it went.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is done on the splines on the steering box.
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
ON mine when they aligned the front end the tech centered the steering wheel. Done at a independent alignment shop NOT a Ford dealer. And did not pull the steering wheel or sheering shaft.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
gronotte wrote:
I owned a truck shop an we would be able to center the wheel with a toe in adjustment.
Grab a tape measure and a friend.
Aim the tires as straight as possible by eye
Measure the distance across the front of the front tires being as accurate as possible
Now measure across from one front tire to the other behind the tires from the exact same position on the tires as use did with the front
In other words you want the same position both in front and behind the front tires for your measurement
For most toe in adjustments you want about 1/4 to 3/8 toe in, in others words the front tires should point in very slightly as you look from the front
If they do not measure close to this you can loosen the tie rod adjustment sleeve and move turn the adjusters on both sides until you have the toe in measurement needed.
Most times this with straighten the wheel if the toe in is off
Go slow with the adjustments and measure after each turn of the sleeve
Any questions let me know
Bob

Well, yes, but you must knock one of the tie-rods loose to get the wheel straight ahead, then adjust toe-in. The F-53 has one rod between the wheels.
Wildmanbaker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
gronotte wrote:
I owned a truck shop an we would be able to center the wheel with a toe in adjustment.
Measure the distance across the front of the front tires being as accurate as possible
Now measure across from one front tire to the other behind the tires from the exact same position on the tires as use did with the front
In other words you want the same position both in front and behind the front tires for your measurement
For most toe in adjustments you want about 1/4 to 3/8 toe in, in others words the front tires should point in very slightly as you look from the front
If they do not measure close to this you can loosen the tie rod adjustment sleeve and move turn the adjusters on both sides until you have the toe in measurement needed.
Bob

Your truck information does not apply to Ford F53 chassis.

Ford F53 chassis have only one adjustable tie rod end to set toe-in. Drag link is NOT adjustable. No means to center steering wheel from steering linkage.

88 to 97 F53, you had to remove the splined coupling from the steering box input shaft to align steering wheel. 99 to mid 2000 you have to remove the steering wheel to align steering wheel. mid 2000 to date, you have to remove the splined coupling from the steering box input shaft to align the steering wheel.
I was just recently informed that the splined shaft on the steering box has 36 splines. So, moving the coupling one spline will reindex the steering wheel 10 degrees.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

gronotte
Explorer
Explorer
Bob

RMtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good info. I already contacted Ford Service center and they could not find a Ford dealer in Houston that would handle F-53 Motor Homes, They want to sell the F-53, but they do not want to service it, warranty or not. I was hoping it was an easy fix like the older F-53's, where you just remove steering wheel and re-clock it because there were no master splines. Not so easy on newer ones.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Check your ford operator manuals that came with the purchase. In there you will find a home office number that will locate a ford truck dealer that will agree to do the work. I had to do that for a recall issue and the service number did set up a meet at a dealership. Assuming a standard fix is required. For alignment problems my local tire guy referred me to a large commercial truck tire and drive train company where they had the alignment equipment for that sized vehicle

Dr_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with my new Winnebago in 2013. Took it to a truck shop that serviced Fords and other makes. They fixed it but it cost me $200,00. Ford did not warranty that type of adjustment even though the vehicle was about 5 months old.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
Greater Boston Area

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Ford F53 chassis have only one adjustable tie rod end to set toe-in. Drag link is NOT adjustable. No means to center steering wheel from steering linkage.

88 to 97 F53, you had to remove the splined coupling from the steering box input shaft to align steering wheel. 99 to mid 2000 you have to remove the steering wheel to align steering wheel. mid 2000 to date, you have to remove the splined coulping from the steering box input shaft to align the steering wheel.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
RMtravelers wrote:
I called this Ford Dealership on the East Loop and they don't do Motor Homes, but Thanks for the info.

From their website:
The Chastang Ford service department offers oil changes, brake pad replacement, tire service and all other regular maintenance for Ford vehicles. We specialize in diesel engine repair, commercial Ford truck repair, fleet maintenance and accommodate large trucks of all sizes in our 32 bay shop.

This should be a warning to anyone that thinks that just because they have a Ford chassis does not mean they will be able to get service, even at a large Ford truck service center.