cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Payload

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Am i correct in assuming that placing gear/luggage in a travel trailer will be less payload than placing directly in the bed of a truck?
21 REPLIES 21

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
This is my recent experience with transferring weight from the truck to the camper and adjusting the weight distribution hitch to keep the Gross Vehicle Weight and Rear Axle Weight under the recommended limits. The truck has a payload of 1607 lbs.

In case 1, there was 707 lbs. in the truck (above as built weight), 780 lbs. tongue weight, and the rear axle was loaded to 99% of capacity.
In case 2, there was 587 lbs. in the truck , 820 lbs. tongue weight, and the rear axle was loaded to 102% of capacity.
After the first two weigh-ins, I realized that the weight distribution hitch was not transferring enough weight from the rear axle to the front axle and to the trailer axle.
In case 3, there was 367 lbs in the truck, 900 lbs. tongue weight. I added two washers to the weight distribution hitch. The rear axle and and the whole truck was then loaded to 94% of capacity. So reducing cargo weight in the truck and adjusting the weight distribution hitch properly can help with not exceeding the payload of the truck.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - Okay - The big concern of 1/2 ton trucks (my 1/2 ton has 2000# payload...) is managing curb weight, easiest way to do that is to move stuff to the trailer..... or for axle weights, put it near the centre of the truck. I run a 500# tongue weight with a WDH, 750# atv, a 250# water tank in cab, a bit of junk and DW and I....~300# Tows like a dream, whether I'm 200# over gvw on my last truck with levelling springs, or 200# under on my new truck..... Little things here and there matter, but not if you are close to the ratings.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be careful now when you are talking about one of my favorite things!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
If the hamburger was a sack of White Castle's, the weight issue for the axles is only temporary....in about 20 minute you will be about three pound lighter.

ROFL! too funny
I can attest to that - there is a reason they are called gut bombs!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
If the hamburger was a sack of White Castle's, the weight issue for the axles is only temporary....in about 20 minute you will be about three pound lighter.

ROFL! too funny
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
How about if I'm maxed out, then buy a hamburger at the drive-thru. When they hand it to me, I'll be 1/4 pound overweight. But what if I eat it, sitting in the truck...

Totally!
But the real question is why would you pack luggage and then put it in your truck if you're bringing a camper?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
burningman wrote:
How about if I'm maxed out, then buy a hamburger at the drive-thru. When they hand it to me, I'll be 1/4 pound overweight. But what if I eat it, sitting in the truck...

It still puts you a 1/4# over weight the tires will blow, the springs will break, and your automatic transmission will blow all it's fluid all over the drive up window.
:B

1/8 over on front and 1/8 on rear axle!!!!

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
burningman wrote:

It still puts you a 1/4# over weight the tires will blow, the springs will break, and your automatic transmission will blow all it's fluid all over the drive up window.

And it will void your warranty on the truck. :R

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Only on RV.net!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I got a dually is because I like to add bacon, cheese, and onions.
You SRW guys don't know what you're missing.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
But you won't exceed the RAWR unless you eat the quarter pounder in the bed of your truck.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

If "sitting in the truck" is not a typo, then you will still be 1/4 pound over.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"