cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Early Migration.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Appears that the hummingbirds got an early start north this year. Clicky.

For those TX snowbirds that are also mobile RV'ers (and thinking about leaving the Valley) Hill Country has 70's and the wild flowers are just starting to show up in clumps. Spring came early, appears the hummingbirds might just be onto something. Does look like the parks are filling up already, so call ahead.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
14 REPLIES 14

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Ulysses, KS currently.

Showers and Thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow. We'll be in Hutchinson tomorrow, got to get settled in to watch the Final Four.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Currently at Trinidad Lake State Park, Colorado. The Spanish Peaks look magnificent.
200 miles to your north, we are having a cold rain changing to snow later tonight. If you're still in Trinidad, I would stay there!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Currently at Trinidad Lake State Park, Colorado. The Spanish Peaks look magnificent.
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Home, and loving it.

It was a good winter down south, but it's not so bad up north either. :B

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
We will be leaving Rodeo, NM on March 26th. We'll spend a few days in Santa Fe before taking three weeks heading up through Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa to Wisconsin. This Spring we'll check out wildlife refuges along the way for bird migration.

I'll see you in July after my stop in Iowa. Please leave a light on.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Rodeo, NM on March 26th. We'll spend a few days in Santa Fe before taking three weeks heading up through Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa to Wisconsin. This Spring we'll check out wildlife refuges along the way for bird migration.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Still snowing in areas in the north and extreme high winds happening from Kansas to the east including Michigan and Ohio. Too early to go too far north.

^^^^^^ What he said!

I'm curious, when you leave your southern park how long is it before you're back at your northern home?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
Still snowing in areas in the north and extreme high winds happening from Kansas to the east including Michigan and Ohio. Too early to go too far north.

^^^^^^ What he said!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
As silly as the hummingbird thing sounds it does make a whole lot of sense. When the hummingbirds head north they need food to survive.

Food is in the form of nectar from flowers. All you need to do is keep an eye on that link of first sightings and stay a week or maybe two behind them. No need to rush into that bad weather that is being talked about.

Here is their migration map from 2016 Clicky. Ain't the internet a wonderful thing. ๐Ÿ™‚

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joegray wrote:
we have a foot of snow still on the ground and it's snowing again. Hasn't been above freezing for weeks. I'd stay where you are and enjoy the nice warm weather.

I'm not advocating rushing home, but a nice controlled flight north. If you do it right you can mostly ride spring weather all the way north like a surfer on a wave. About 400 miles south of the boarder it all goes bad, then the mad dash will have to happen.

Lots of fun seeing new places and meeting new people when you vacation your way north like a true snowbird.

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
we have a foot of snow still on the ground and it's snowing again. Hasn't been above freezing for weeks. I'd stay where you are and enjoy the nice warm weather.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We are just approaching the best time of the year here in the Valley.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Winter Texans arrived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas late and are leaving early. The most common complaint? Too darn warm. I don't think we had ten cool/cold days all winter. We peaked about a month ago with about eighty percent occupancy.