cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many out there have cats that travel in their RVs?

Sharbysyd
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are looking into possibly getting an RV and living in it and traveling for a while, possibly a year or more. We have three cats and are concerned whether it could work with them and whether they would be safe. Our cats are 9, 7 and 5 years old.
26 REPLIES 26

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
When we begin, we will have three. All are similar in age (double-edged sword, there) and all have been indoors their whole lives. That won't change when we're not there, or in bad weather, but I will also buy one of those enclosed, screen-walled dining tents for a play and get some fresh air, area. One big, printed sign on the door that says simply, ***!!!***CATS!!!***!!!

Great information about slides. Next to the slide switch will be a big sign shouting...***!!!***CATS!!!***!!!

When we are away, windows will only be open the size of J's fist. Hers is much smaller than mine. Oh, and those screens keeping them in? Don't bank on that, even in the short-term but maybe not IMMEDIATELY, they can damage screens, sometimes just by laying laying their fat butts against the screens. Other times...claws. Lots of claws. Only trust screens you can fully see.

Cats, for me, are the only companion animal I can live with. Loving, funny, annoying, affectionate, stinky (ever smelled a cat fart?), but they make you earn the love. It's the only kind of real love, anyway. But when my five-year-old girl tabby climbs on my shoulder and goes to sleep, it's bliss unlike anything a human can give another. My heart melts.

Many (seemingly most on rv.net) seem to be more dog than cat people, but I think overall, cats are a better choice for J and me.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
We've travelled/camped with our cats (and dogs) for years. Some handled it better than other. Most of our cats just considered the camper an extension of home and got used to it quite quickly and most of them did not want to go outside in a strange area. However, We did have one get out and never show-up in Virginia. We're not sure how she got out, we figure she must have tailgated one of us as we went out. There was a large field across from our campsite and we figured that's where she went. She was a kind of spooky cat, and would never have come to anyone outside.

crouseman41
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two cats - one is nearing 15 and the other 5. We have made trips of 7 months with no cat issues. We do use bottled water for them - we are concerned that different water might cause intestinal issues. As others have mentioned, we contain them when slides are being extended or retracted. We use a large nylon/mesh carrier for the old cat when he wants to be outdoors with us. The other cat has absolutely no interest in being outdoors. The carrier folds flat when not in use. They are members of our family, so if we go, they go. Enjoy your travels.
Dale & paulette Crouse

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Besides our queen bed we had four bunks and one bunk belonged to the cat. His litter box, food and water and Rubbermaid cave sat on it.He was very upset if they were not put on just so.

He learned to walk on a leash and expected several walks a day, he would howl at the dog and when we got up he would go sit on his leash so we would not forget him.

He had his own chair by the fire and let people know they were not to sit on it it someone dropped over and took his chair.

When out for a walk he had to run back to out lot if he had to use his litter box. He could not go anywhere else.

He was an indoor cat at home and was afraid to go outside the first time.

He was never allowed outside unless he was on his leash.
If he saw us packing he was ready to go.

LifeInsideJack
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 in here with us. Their litter boxes are in the rear storage box. There is a cut out for them to get into that area. We clean the boxes accessing them from the outside access door. This is the best solution for us.

We do not move the RV without them being in their crates. They "hide" in the cab area of the RV when they feel the need. The last thing I need is them trying to get under the pedals while we're driving.

We have no issues with the cats in here with us. They like the magical windows that provide new things to look at.
Our website: www.lifeinsidejack.com

Our Motto: Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Klaus mit der Krallen went RVing with us the first time at age 19. He was so happy to be with his people that he quite enjoyed the trip.

Alexander the Grrreat went RVing for the first time at age 13. We lived in the RV for several months, and he was more than content to be an indoor only cat. The dashboard was his lookout point.

Spotacus has loved the RV since we first allowed him to explore it at age 18 months. Talk about a big box, just for him! Oh, and his peeps are allowed to be in it, too.

So young or old, many cats will adapt to RVing quite nicely.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
My cat was 11 when we started. I think it might be harder with a very young cat because they want to run around more.

My cat goes out and hunts all night when we are in wild areas, but he is also OK with sleeping in the rig 23 hours a day if we are in a crowded park with a lot of dogs.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Sharbysyd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much Bob and Pam for your response. I appreciate knowing that your cats were older when you got them and you were able to take them in the RV. My cats are 9, 7 and 5 and I was concerned with how they would be but I guess they will be fine.

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken all of our cats with us over the years. Our current 2 travel quite well. You know they are part of the family when as you look at coaches you are commenting back and forth where the litter boxes would fit and where to put the food & water dishes!
Our current 2 were both older cats (9 yrs old)at the shelter when we adopted them. One enjoys hanging out as we go down the road and the other hides in a covered cat Bed.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Sharbysyd wrote:
Also thank you to Doxie for the suggestion about being careful if we get a slide. I was wondering about that. We'll have to think that true if it could be a danger to them.

Don't rule out an RV simply because it has slides.

The RV checklist you'll run through each and every time you use it should include this:

Place cats in a safe area before opening or closing slides (our secure area is a large cat carrier).

Never, never, never move a slide without ensuring cats are safe.

Our RVs have had multiple slides over the years. Never an incident because we follow that simple rule.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
"Travel tags"! What a great idea! Many Walmarts and Petco/PetSmarts have the automated tag-making machines. I'm headed there this morning to make mine!

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
My advice is to get "travel tags" for the cats. Have the cats wear a collar or harness all the time with the tags. The tags should have your cell number AND your RV license plate number - that way, if one does get out and someone finds them, it is very easy to get him back to you. .

Where do you get these "Travel tags"?
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice is to get "travel tags" for the cats. Have the cats wear a collar or harness all the time with the tags. The tags should have your cell number AND your RV license plate number - that way, if one does get out and someone finds them, it is very easy to get him back to you. I did that with my dogs - I used to use a barrel tag with a note inside on which I wrote my campsite number. Now, I put their travel collar with the tag on them and they can be reconnected to me via the plate number.

My other comment is that many cats can get startled and run. If the door is open, the cat may go out it even though they've never shown an interest in the outdoors before. The RV is a lot smaller than your home and the cat can't separate itself from scary noises, etc., as easily.

Definitely spend time in the RV at home before you start moving around with the cats. Let them get used to it stationary first. Then take short trips. ALWAYS have cat carriers for all three with you when you travel - you never know if you'll need to transport them elsewhere.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
We take our cat on almost all our trips, short or long. She travels great and is largely self-sufficient. We put the litter box in the pass thru and then made a cat door in the end of the bed. As long as the cat has food and water, and the trailer is kept in the shade (or at least cool) it is no problem. We also walk ours on a leash.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD