cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

86' Winnebago Chieftain 22ft Project

dreamsofhabit
Explorer
Explorer
Herein is where I will post all updates related to this project..
For the original post please click here:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29212232.cfm
Go on, click it. You know you want to.

Well, on to business. One of possibly the most annoying things thus far on this project has been the seemingly random **** missing from it: A transmission dipstick and pop-up roof vent (not the actuating arm just the top cover).

Well, this past week I changed the oil and transmission fluid+filter. I put about 6 quarts of tranny fluid in her (out of the 11 or so that she holds) because I wasn't sure how much the converter would hold.

So I rolled down to my friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer and requested a replacement dipstick. I went through the regular hoop-la you might expect. "What year is your vehicle?"; 1986, "Well I don't know if we can get parts for that.", "Let me get Don."

You know, there's always that guy who has worked there as long the that place has been open.

Well that's the guy that came out and he was able to get the dipstick ordered for me. He says: "Well, we'll have to get that from vintage parts." as if I have much of a choice.

I gotta say, of all the **** I've worked on in my life, this is the first time a dipstick (for the transmission no less) has been missing in action.

44.64 and a couple of days later I have my "new" dipstick in hand.
4 REPLIES 4

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
Post lots of photos! They really help others that may have similar issues. Have fun making your classic a road worthy beast.

Our 1975 REVCON album - work in progress
Me and the sweetie found a super 1975 Revcon 250-T
Road worthy as it is, just working out some bugs.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
there's always that guy who has worked there as long the that place has been open

My first motorhome was Class C on a '76 Chevy van frame that I bought in 2005. About 2008 I had a broken suspension piece. Not a big deal, but my local dealer could not come up with the correct part - obsolete. I took the broken part to a truck & trailer suspension shop an hour away thinking in the worst case they could fabricate one. I threw the broken part on the counter and the young parts guy says "Let me get Duane, he knows these old units." Duane walks up, looks at it and tells the young guy that part has been superseded a zillion times and rattles off the current part number from mmemory. The kid punches in the number, then walks to the parts bin and grabs one for me.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

dreamsofhabit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, this is a very good (and cheap!) resource when rebuilding or repairing vehicles. A lot of the time they send you a magnet with your parts that has someones restoration or project on it. I probably have 10-15 of these on my fridge. :C

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
RockAuto.com..........I realize that you may know of them. I have found them to have many older car parts ie my 1985 Suburban.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado