cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

does anything really fit?

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
When ever I seem to find a good idea, it seems I really have to go measure, because nothing seems to fit if it wasn't designed. TV, nope, had to make elaborate modifications to get it to work, Sat dish? again engineering nightmare. flashers? wanted to replace the current one with a non load sensing one so the LED lights work... nope, relay won't come out. Wanted to shorten this co-ax cable, no problem got a f-connector crimp kit right here.. guess what the wire gauge is too small. Nice seat back organizer? ... nope, seats don't have extendable head rests so you can't loop the organizer on it. tow a car trailer? ... hahahahahaha. we've patch welded a receiver onto the bumper so all it's good for is a bike rack, oh and your big e450 v-10 rig only tows as much as your volvo station wagon. ๐Ÿ˜› want to keep your wheel simulators attached to the wheels? let make the wheel studs only have 3 threads protruding from the wheel lug nuts not even hold the simulators on with a whole width nut which will strip out the first time you replace the wheels. but you can't switch out your studs because the next size longer is 1/2" bigger and your simulated nut caps won't fit then.
ok enough ranting, you get the idea. does anyone else have this problem?
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
15 REPLIES 15

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Dealing with design quality and build quality, there always seems to be a trade off all relating to cost. The end result is the customer wants the highest quality at the lowest cost. Working as quality control on large aircraft, I see this issue all the time. Designers have to at some point compromise in cost, weight, space, available materials etc. Other times they have to anticipate the most popular accessories so they can design them in. Build quality on the other hand is one of those annoying things that all manufactures attempt to keep under control, and one of my main jobs, but happens when dealing with humans. Case in point, a mechanic is stapling a wire run through the interior. Out of 100 staples, he misalignes the staple on the wire and cuts through the insulation. 5 years later, corrosion eats through the exposed wire and it breaks at that point. The owner then has to go through the system to find the broken wire and fix it. Other example, the seal on the outside keeps the unit from leaking. Current technology has a life of 10 years before the chemical makeup of the seal breaks down. One section wasn't noticed and water leaked through to the structure, causing it to rot and fall apart. Who's fault is that? Seal is only good for so long, so long, so the owner is somewhat responsible. Why are rv structures build with materials that fall apart when they get wet? almost like they're made with cardboard. Mostly cost, weight and workability. Wood is cheep, relatively light, strong and easy to work with. Some higher end coaches use aluminum frames, which makes for a better product, but is much more expensive and still susceptible to corrosion and failure. I'd love to see a coach built out of the cfrp we build airplanes with, but that stuff is incredibly expensive, difficult to work with, and usually needs titanium stiffeners in critical places. Aluminum corrodes when in contact with cfrp.
So a lot of what I see people doing are correcting manufacturing defects, which really can't be eliminated, even robots screw up once in a while.
Another thing is with mass produced units, you can't make everyone the perfect coach, everyone has different tastes. my unit for example. LED light replacement -- technology upgrade. banks power pack -- upgrade from manufacture compromise. TV install -- technology upgrade, customer preference. wheel stud replacement -- design error. Fresh water sensor fail -- unsure, can't locate sensors to determine where the problem is.
Seems also that sometimes it's cheaper to add accessories after market than by factory as well. upgraded stereo wasn't available from manufacture.
in the end, some people just like to tinker with stuff, probably do the same thing with the house
banks intake/exhaust

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's interesting reading this thread after just coming from a discussion thread on the design quality and build quality in the RV world.

As "quality" relates to this thread ... many of you have done great things inside your RV's. HOWEVER, why did you have too!!!!!!!!!!! I lot of the stuff done by owners (other than updating to more modern onboard equipment) should have been taken care of at the time of manufacture through quality design and construction - by a manufacturer who knows and cares about how their RV is actually going to be used.

As for me, I've had to improve and rebuild some things on our RV. But I wish that I hadn't had to do it, as I had and have better things to do with my time.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Most of these project are fun and creative, if a bit expensive. Just frustrating when you have a good idea that should work, but it's cold and wet outside. Pretty much all the interior and exterior lights have been replaced with LED except for the florescents. Clearance and 3rd brake light are sitting in a box waiting to be installed. TV was challenging, but I think I've got that fixed, just need to finish wiring all the electronics (dtv, directv receiver, dvd, wifi, 4g and all the wiring and antennas involved.) Still working on inverter/ converter issues for various modes (plugged in vs generator vs battery vs in motion) cell phone booster probably should run off 12v while driving. wifi doesn't need to run except when parked. is there 110v available when driving down the road? DW wants to run the clothes washer while driving. Theoretically it should work assuming I can find a way to secure it from tipping over while driving. This thing is actually pretty cool, about twice the width of a garbage can, plugs into the sink and will wash a day or two worth of clothing.

Wheel simulators on the back are ok, it's the front ones. I'd ditch them all together, but the wheels are pretty ugly. could paint them but that looks pretty tacky. I suppose I could ask at some wheel places about longer studs, but seems a lot of the mechanics around here are grouches. Both the les schwab guy and the rv repair place were pretty grumpy last time I was in there. They do good work though, so it might be worth it.

Heading out on a several week road trip across the country, just a bit nervous.
banks intake/exhaust

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Ditched the rear wheel simulators. They do nothing and just get in the way. Have made lots of modifications. Switched TVs to 12 volts and ditched all the inverters, changed everything inside to LED to save battery, added shelves and rebuilt storage, installed new stereos, added electrical systems monitors, all fun projects. Added a built in compressor to the rear cargo compartment, got rid of the electric steps, etc. Anything I could do to make things simpler and better for dry camping and boondocking. The bumps along the way are just part if the fun.

Life is short. This is suppose to be fun and relaxing.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
I guess the most frustrating this is coming up with a good idea, but now it's 40 degrees and raining out ๐Ÿ˜›

But that rain has a lot to do with what makes your part of the world "oh, so beautiful".

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the most frustrating this is coming up with a good idea, but now it's 40 degrees and raining out ๐Ÿ˜›
banks intake/exhaust

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have given up putting time limits on projects. I installed living quarters in a 32 foot trailer and found that nothing fits, it was a fun project but not again. For me i found that if i sit and stare at something and just try something the idea will come, some of my best solutions came at 2AM. Expect that something will be an impediment and you won't be disappointed or surprised. No one I know is in the hospital right now so life is good.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I surely understand your frustration. However, all my life I have found a way to make something work, even if it takes a couple of modifications to my first try.

Once you find a solution, please share it with us. Don't give up.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
You know I have noticed the same thing. Stuff just seems to work against a guy at every turn. Just now I was sitting here in my chair reading photobugs legimate rant while eating a great piece of brownie. Just as I was taking a bite a piece fell off and wound up in the crack between the arm and the seat. I could see it right there...and it was too yummy to waste but when I reached to get it the crack opened up wider and my chunk of brownie disappeared into who knows where. Now I ask you, who the hell designs a chair that won't let you recover lost morsels. I think there should be some legislation enacted to get some kind of control over these thoughtless designers that are making our lives such hell.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
K Charles wrote:
You need to relax.
He's sharing a bit of levity. YOU need to relax.

I was smiling too, you can't get much more laid back then me.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
You need to relax.
He's sharing a bit of levity. YOU need to relax.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You need to relax.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
My pants
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

BPRescue
Explorer
Explorer
I NEVER have this problem. Gosh darn it, why does this site have a charachter limitatio