cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Silverado 1500 4.3 v6 - towing questions

gac914
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Silverado Double-cab 4x4 with the 4.3 V6, with tow package but no factory brake controller. We have friends selling a hybrid 25 FT TT, with a dry weight of 5500 pds. Chevy says the truck in our configuration will haul a maximum trailer weight of 6,700 pds, and a GCWR of 12,000 pds. I have also seen some updated Chevy numbers with the GCWR adjusted to 12,600. The truck itself weighs about 5200 pds. Would we be able to haul this type of trailer, or are we too far on the ragged edge? We were looking for lighter, (2800 - 3300 pd) trailers, but the price is really right on this and way under what we budgeted.
43 REPLIES 43

blt2ski
Dad,

What does it take to get GM to put one of these 4.3's into the lightest 8lug 25 series truck. With 4.10's, you can pull 10K easy enough, the DOD some decent mileage......great for a work truck!For the way I drive,4.33's would probably be the better ratio.....none the less, still a good combo!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
roadjunkie wrote:
I recently bought a Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 21 that had a dry weight of 3215 pounds. My truck is an 05 GMC Sierra 1500, short bed, reg. cab, 5.3L with 4spd. auto, 3.23 gears and it pulled it but it was a miserable experience and horrible gas mileage. I would recommend more truck or less trailer. The manufacturer tow ratings are highly inflated.

The poster indicated that the vehicle did fine.

The new 4.3 delivers good power, the 6 sp with the 3.42 puts the power to the road. This engine will pull a 9k pound trailer on flat land.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

roadjunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 21 that had a dry weight of 3215 pounds. My truck is an 05 GMC Sierra 1500, short bed, reg. cab, 5.3L with 4spd. auto, 3.23 gears and it pulled it but it was a miserable experience and horrible gas mileage. I would recommend more truck or less trailer. The manufacturer tow ratings are highly inflated.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not too surprising that you hit V4 mode in the flats, the 4.3 is still capable of >200HP in V4 mode, in that regard it's actually much better than the 5.3 in cylinder deactivation mode as the V8 is only producing half power vs 2/3rds for the v6.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
gac914 wrote:
Okay, people had asked me to post results after towing. We had a "shakedown" run to a campsite, and towed to a State Park about 170 miles round trip. It towed like a boss! Although the V6 was, as suggested by some, not an out-and-out powerhouse, it did pull just fine. Transmission temps were only up about 2 to 4 degrees above usual, engine temp stayed stable, and I even saw some "V4" mode on level pulls. Got between 10 and 13 MPG, depending on the routing I took and how many stop lights I had to accelerate from. Everything went pretty well.

I do have a question for those out there more used to distributing hitches. I found I had to pull up another notch on the chain to get the truck level and a little more weight on my steer axle. Everything, truck and trailer, ended up about perfectly level, (far and away more than a lot of rigs I noticed coming in to the park!!!,) but my torsion bars are past parallel to the frame on the trailer (end of the bar where the chain attaches at the mini u-bolt is about 2 1/2 inches from the trailer frame). Will this hurt in the long run, or am I okay to leave as is?? Next trip out will be a long one from Illinois to Mount Rushmore in South Dakota!

Add some more washers. Go to the scales.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
gac914 wrote:
Okay, people had asked me to post results after towing. We had a "shakedown" run to a campsite, and towed to a State Park about 170 miles round trip. It towed like a boss! Although the V6 was, as suggested by some, not an out-and-out powerhouse, it did pull just fine. Transmission temps were only up about 2 to 4 degrees above usual, engine temp stayed stable, and I even saw some "V4" mode on level pulls. Got between 10 and 13 MPG, depending on the routing I took and how many stop lights I had to accelerate from. Everything went pretty well.

I do have a question for those out there more used to distributing hitches. I found I had to pull up another notch on the chain to get the truck level and a little more weight on my steer axle. Everything, truck and trailer, ended up about perfectly level, (far and away more than a lot of rigs I noticed coming in to the park!!!,) but my torsion bars are past parallel to the frame on the trailer (end of the bar where the chain attaches at the mini u-bolt is about 2 1/2 inches from the trailer frame). Will this hurt in the long run, or am I okay to leave as is?? Next trip out will be a long one from Illinois to Mount Rushmore in South Dakota!

Thanks for posting an update on your towing results! I figured it would work for you. Steep long grades can be a challenge for any gas engine. You will encounter some of this between Rapid City and Mount Rushmore, and other areas of the Black Hills. Most have a slow lane, if you still have your trailer connected, just watch temps.

Have a great trip!

Jerry

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
gac914 wrote:

The bars should be parallel if possible, anything less could hit the tongue frame in tight turns or damage your snap up brackets if there isn't enough length in the chains to allow a turn.

It's a simple fix with most instructions online (or search this forum) Loosen the head bolts and tilt the head back towards the tt. This will angle the bar ends more towards the ground allowing you to hang more links under the same tension. Depending on the hitch you may need to add a washer or two between the head and shank if needed.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
gac914 wrote:

You need to tilt the head more with washers.. Then you can use same link and bars may be parellel.

You can use up to 8 washers
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
The ecotec 4.3 V6 was first introduced in the 2014 model year. As has been said, the only thing this motor share with the last generation 4.3 v6 is displacement. Not the ideal motor for towing the camper you are speaking of, but will work. The tow pkg includes a transmission cooler located inside the radiator, but keep an eye on the transmission temp displayed in the instr cluster.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

gac914
Explorer
Explorer

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a winner, happy camping.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
My old GMC crew cab dually has a pretty tired old 454 in it, i bet your V6 is just as strong or stronger and I've gone over mountain passes at 22,000 combined total.
I didn't get any speeding tickets but I got there.
That's what your lower gears are for.

Having said that, I did get tired of being so slow and now I tow with a high-HP diesel and it's SO nice to have such an effortless drive - and definitely is NOT worth what it cost to get it!!

It happens to most of us... we end up wanting bigger campers, bigger trucks, more power.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Is this 4.3 based on the old school 4.3? Either way the power it's putting out is impressive! My old 97 Dodge van with the 5.9L had 245HP and 330 TQ. So that 4.3 is no slouch.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
It completely depends on your comfort level, if you aren't shy about using the power, it would be fine. 285 HP and 300ft/lbs is ample power, but so many folks think that they need a truck that they can drive at half throttle, at 2500 rpms and anything more is abuse.
Check out TFL Truck and how the ford 3.7 natural gas engine towed up a challenging grade. It rev'd, made some noise, and otherwise beat the revered eco-diesel at it's own game, for thousands less. Your chevy should do similar, at a more relaxed rpm. My previous truck, (F150 3.7) which I ran maxed out on a number of occasions, was just fine.