cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mildew prevention question

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you that leave your RV's on a permanent site in south Florida or the Florida Keys for the summer months, what do you use for preventing mildew?
I am not interested in hearing about "Damp rid". that won't work for that length of time.
Folks here having given us two suggestions, but one of them is highly toxic and the RV has to be completely aired out before using it.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
7 REPLIES 7

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
John I Haggerty wrote:
I live in Sarasota, Florida year round. I work in a campground and am responsible for storage. Folks who keep their RV closed as air tight as possible seem to do best.

I have not used my fifth wheel in over two years. The only mold I see is a very minor light yellow type on certain wood surfaces. I park my fifth on black top and heavy sun. I think keeping it on a hard surface versus the typical sand/grass surface plays an important role.

The biggest problem I see is roof leaks. The Florida sun is tough on the roof and sealant material. If you get a leak, and the RV sits a long time, $$$.

Thanks,
I was hoping to hear that.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Sarasota, Florida year round. I work in a campground and am responsible for storage. Folks who keep their RV closed as air tight as possible seem to do best.

I have not used my fifth wheel in over two years. The only mold I see is a very minor light yellow type on certain wood surfaces. I park my fifth on black top and heavy sun. I think keeping it on a hard surface versus the typical sand/grass surface plays an important role.

The biggest problem I see is roof leaks. The Florida sun is tough on the roof and sealant material. If you get a leak, and the RV sits a long time, $$$.
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We do have a similar problem during monsoon season in AZ. Yes we have a big time wet season from the beginning on July to the middle of Sept. What people do that leave their RVs here in the summer is leave the AC on at 80 degrees. If you don't have power you have to use a moisture removal product that can be found at any local RV supply store. Don't just close the door and walk away, you may be very sorry when you return. Also try to arrange for a local to check for leaks in the inside thu the rainy season. We do this all for our friends from Id who leave their Airstream thu the summer.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The people who are there with you and actually do it would probably have the best advice. Sounds risky to me, but I haven't done it.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
PackerBacker wrote:
No matter where we store our trailer, we leave the roof vents open all the time. Our current unit has three vents with MaxxAir covers over them.

We've stored in the high heat and humidity of South Carolina as well as at home up north without any issues.

We have a neighbor from northern NY who keeps his 5th wheel in Myrtle Beach year round; they use it from October thru March. In 2015 they forgot to leave the vents open when storing it for the summer. It was the only year that they ever had mold develop.

Myrtle Beach, SC Georgia and northern Florida is not like the Florida Keys.
According to all our neighbors here and the local RV dealer in Key Largo, it is imperative to keep the RV closed up as tight as a drum.
Most here do that and use a pouch (don't know the name) with a very dangerous/ poisonous substance that requires a breathing mask to install it and a day to air it out.
I was looking for a "an equal" that is not that bad.

We are from NC and every summer do as you do, but that won't work down here in the Keys.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

Community Alumni
Not applicable
No matter where we store our trailer, we leave the roof vents open all the time. Our current unit has three vents with MaxxAir covers over them.

We've stored in the high heat and humidity of South Carolina as well as at home up north without any issues.

We have a neighbor from northern NY who keeps his 5th wheel in Myrtle Beach year round; they use it from October thru March. In 2015 they forgot to leave the vents open when storing it for the summer. It was the only year that they ever had mold develop.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We do not leave our RV in Florida over the summer months, but several others at our park in Crystal River do. In nearly every case here they leave their units plugged into electric and set up a dehumidifier that runs into their sink or shower stall. One fellow in the park lives here year around and folks pay him $15/month to check on their units twice a month to make sure all is well within.

One couple didn't do the above and just left it onsite with predictable results----mold. Cost them $1,500 to have their unit professionally cleaned before they could move back into it the next winter.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator