cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to try RGV next year

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years in Arizona, we are thinking of trying the Rio Grande Valley next year. Can anyone recommend a good location for a first try? Some of the activities we like are line dancing, pickleball, hiking.....
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website
39 REPLIES 39

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Mission area, very little wind, no cane fields and lots of dancing.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

If you make sure you are in the newer expansion section of VP you will not hear the highway. One thing to consider is the orientation of your awning to the sun. Some folks prefer a north facing awning so your patio area is in the shade. Others want the reverse, while some don't care. Think about this when picking a site.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
Bill,

Fun N Sun does have lots of activities. I do not think they have more than VP. I would not suggest Fun N Sun because their sites are not as nice nor as large as VP and Llano.......

Yes, a look on google maps/earth showed that Fun-N-Sun is definitely dated and the sites are small and roads are narrow. Also, parks reviews were not very positive.

Will have another look at Victoria Palms. Only hesitancy is it's proximity to the highway. (although our regular park Canyon Vistas in Gold Canyon, Arizona is the same and we don't mind that!!)
My Website

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the comments about Fun n Sun. Very small lots except for the few that they have combined two to make one for those with money to burn. Park is really showing its age. Friday night dance attendance is about one third that of ten years ago.

Alamo Rec-Veh in Alamo, Texas is a low cost option. Quite a few Single folks, who get a single's discount. Remote control boats (on private lake), remote control everything else. RC car race tracks. Indoor pool. Woodworking shop. Shuffleboard. Music jams. Etc.

In other words, lots of parks have lots of activities and the rates are all over the place.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

Fun N Sun does have lots of activities. I do not think they have more than VP. I would not suggest Fun N Sun because their sites are not as nice nor as large as VP and Llano.

As far as pickleball goes both VP and Llano have 4 courts so it is a tie there. For Dancing VP is the winner as it has a huge ballroom with a brand new wood floor.

Other than pickleball and dancing is there something in particular you are looking for? For example, VP is in a fruit orchard and has thousands of citrus trees so you can pick oranges, limes, grapefruit for free. Llano has a golf course.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said.. the Rio Grande Valley received nothing from the storms.

Wife called her friend that lives in Mission Tx 365... Nothing but a little wind.. but that is common for the area.

our departure is 59 days to Mission Texas. for 5 months.
I will be taking the I 40--I 30 route this year. NOT I 10...

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
Bill,

...... I suggest you look at Victoria Palms in Donna TX or Llano Grande in Mercedes. Llano is in a more rural area while VP is closer to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Both parks look very nice. I think maybe Llano Grande would suit us better as it is a ways out of the main city areas. I was also looking at Fun-N-Sun in San Benito which seems to have some interesting activities.

My wife is very much into Line Dancing and Pickleball so not sure if one of the parks is better for that......
My Website

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

I went to your web site. I see that you have a park model in Canyon Vistas. If you are looking for a similar type RV Park I suggest you look at Victoria Palms in Donna TX or Llano Grande in Mercedes. Llano is in a more rural area while VP is closer to shopping, restaurants, etc.

If you choose Llano make sure you get a site in the newer north section as the others are small for a rig your size. Same with Victoria Palms.... get a pull thru or back in located in the newer expansion area.

I winter in Victoria Palms and can provide specific info if you want it.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Much of the Rio Grande Valley received NO rain from Harvey and only 35 mph winds. This report from the manager of the Park I stay in during the winter which is right in the middle of the RGV. Since you will be coming to Texas from the west, you will not even drive thru any of the affected areas.
Alfred May
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
"Not bad" is an understatement. We were not hit at all and are still suffering from a long term drought. 100 percent of the parks available before Harvey are still available today. This is in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas from Brownsville to Rio Grande City).

That is great news!! So much destruction and loss elsewhere in Texas...not just property, but lives as well. In a couple of weeks after any evacuees have had a chance to rent spots if needed, I will call around to see what is available.
My Website

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
I understand the Brownsville and area were not hit that bad so maybe we should still plan for that area?? Any advice??

"Not bad" is an understatement. We were not hit at all and are still suffering from a long term drought. 100 percent of the parks available before Harvey are still available today. This is in the RGV (Rio Grande Valley of Texas from Brownsville to Rio Grande City).

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
With Harvey causing significant damage, I am rethinking my 2017/18 season plans. I had originally been planning to visit Texas for November but am wondering what to do.....

At first thought, I was starting to plan for California, but someone pointed out that the Texas parks may want to keep people coming so that money comes in.

I understand the Brownsville and area were not hit that bad so maybe we should still plan for that area?? Any advice??
My Website

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We go from CT to the RGV Mission area, every winter. yes there is some wind there but we enjoy the winter there, better then being at our home state for the winter. Prices are very good. Enjoy taking a day trip over to Mexico at Progresso to the dentist, get some medication and having lunch and some food to eat. I know our park is given good rates this year for long winter stay.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed in Victoria Palms a few years back, liked it, loved to cross at Progresso to Mexico to eat and pick up cheap Liquor, so close.

In Florida now as its a lot closer for us coming from The Canadian Maritimes, you should check it out many great reasons to go to South Texas, a few negatives as every where else. Its a lot cheaper than South Florida!
Try it!
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.