cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Day? Busy travel weekend?

Rovito
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be traveling through NB the first week of July and just noticed the 1st is Canada Day. We have all our reservations set for the week we are there but was planning on stopping here and there to boondock at WalMarts before we get to our final destination. Is it likely they will be full? Should we consider making some more reservations in some of the spots along the way?

Thanks.
2001 Ford F150 pulling a KZ Sportsmen classic 19BH.
7 REPLIES 7

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want quiet & solitude in Canada on July 1st, stay in town because every Canadian who has anything that vaguely resembles a tent has gone camping. Worse than July 4th.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Rovito wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I need to make some reservations just to be safe. Will gas stations and stores be open the 2nd and 3rd?

Yes, most if not all gas stations and stores will be open on those days. Most gas stations as well as many stores are also open on the 1st.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Rovito
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I need to make some reservations just to be safe. Will gas stations and stores be open the 2nd and 3rd?
2001 Ford F150 pulling a KZ Sportsmen classic 19BH.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, scads of people go out and camp/rv on major holidays.

Once upon a time in NB, I stopped into Briggs Yarn in Harvey Station, NB and purchased a sweaters worth of wool. This was October. I needed a place for my truck camper for the night. They called around. In that year there was a cg inside the municipality of Fredericton, but really on the edge of town. Most of it's customers were people who had jobs in that city and residences elsewhere in NB. The yarn place got me into that cg for the night.

So, shop local, something you really want, and ask those locals the 'how to'.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
YES! Canada day is NUTS. Normally quiet and well-behaved Canadians seem to go nuts on that day, much like our 4th. I've camped in the Maritimes many, many times and that was the only time we had a very bad experience there.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not know how updated this database is, however out of the 13 total Walmart stores located in New Brunswick - only one store shows prohibited for overnighting, which is one of the two Saint John stores (the 621 Fairville store -south location).

All the other Walmarts in New Brunswick do show permitted overnight parking :

Red W circle indicates prohibited overnighting

Yellow W circle indicates permitted overnighting

You can zoom in or out the map areas to see more in detail.

Link of map location for Walmart stores in New Brunswick
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That weekend will be nuts with the American holiday falling on the fourth. Don't count on boondocking at box stores, many cities and municipalities prohibit it. Such is the case at our two area Wallyworlds. Best to make reservations or stop early in the afternoon in case you have to search for a camp ground opening.