cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed lid advise please

Anneliese64
Explorer
Explorer
Our king size bed in our Aerolite 225RBSL has storage under it but it takes 2 guys to keep the lid open, which is only a small part of a rounded corner structure (Luan and 1 x 2). The bottom storage section is about 24 x 70 x 30.
We need advise on what and how to install a lifter...
We have found lots of DIYs on this site but have not really seen any options for this problem, it seems that the Bed lifter pistons have many problems ripping the bed frame
15 REPLIES 15

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a queen bed, it came with a pair of gas struts to hold it open.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We called the props sticks when we were kids. Quite useful and plentiful in most areas except between the Ok and Az lines on I40 and in Va where they are destroying all of them.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest posting some photos so we can see what you have and what can be done.

The gas struts can sometimes be installed incorrectly at the factory. That happened to a friend's TT and they weren't even close to being right and they needed to hold the lid up. I redid them for them and it opened easily afterwards. I have seen a diagram on the 'net somewhere before that shows the correct mounting positions of the brackets and the correct strut rating for the lid + mattress.

The attachment points of the gas struts sometimes need improvement by adding reinforcement, sometimes they use any old screws that are close at hand and sometimes wood can be split. You may need to add some wood backing or maybe a piece of plywood to increase the surface area the brackets are attached to.

I also modified the under bed storage. I added two drawers and a fixed tray above them and a removable tray on the other side. This increases the utilization of the space inside the box quite a bit. Things are so much easier to find and get to than plastic bins and cardboard boxes. Note that I installed 2x3 blocks for the brackets at one end. This makes the lid stay closed better because the strut exerts a slight downwards force when the lid is closed.

I also removed the OSB that the lid originally had and replaced it with plywood. The lid had quite a sag in it. Hard to see in the left photo but I installed a small strip around the perimeter on 3 sides and rounded off the edges with a router so that the edge is nice and smooth to grab onto and the sheets won't catch on it either.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Had the same issue with my Grey Wolf 19RR. I added an outside door and an inside door. Very easily accessible now. Article about conversion on my web site... www.rvbprecision.com

The OP's rig has a king island bed that doesn't butt against the exterior walls of the trailer as does the bed in your GW.

To the OP - regardless of whether you add cabinet doors to the end of the bed platform as I did you can still manually lift the end of the bed platform if you want to store a rather large item that won't fit through the door openings ... and there's no need for gas shocks as you can simply prop the platform in the open position with a piece of wood notched at each end so it doesn't slip out of position - just as shown in my pic. When you're done simply remove the wood prop and lower the platform. 🙂

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
We went to a more comfortable mattress so the gas shocks weren't up to the task of holding the bed up but they help lift and a proper length broom stick holds it in place.

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing with gas struts. Works fine with just one hand.

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
When I added gas struts to a previous camper, I put in additional wood supports. No problems with the bed coming apart.
You will have to guesstimate the weight to be lifted.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue with my Grey Wolf 19RR. I added an outside door and an inside door. Very easily accessible now. Article about conversion on my web site... www.rvbprecision.com
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Anneliese64
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my goodness what a neat idea, we have lots of cabinet doors, we want have to buy anything to do that...
Thank you so much, that will make life easier.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Anneliese64 wrote:
Thanks for all the help, I will post my success story when I am done with that project.

Why lift the weight of the bed platform and mattress when it's so much easier if you install a cabinet door or two on the end of the bed platform - just as I've down with our own Coachmen trailer. 🙂

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Anneliese64
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help, I will post my success story when I am done with that project.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a honeycomb platform that the securing screws ripped through then bent both gas shocks due to alignment. I've since used an aluminum plate on top of the platform to hold the non-moving platform where it belongs, new shocks, as well as a PVC support when wide open. When it's working it can easily be picked up with one hand
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did

It is a little tricky getting the lengths right.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I just cut a piece of thick wall 1 1/2" PVC and use this to hold the bed up
works good for us..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game