cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 towable list

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
can someone please post a link to the 2017 towable list?
i guess most will be where you have to disconnect the battery, so making it illegal to tow unless you have a cable from the MH to run the brakebuddy thingy
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
14 REPLIES 14

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
Thanks very much rhadley53
PS this year there are only 6 or 7 pages of the actual vehicles!

Also check the vehicle lookup feature at Remco Towing. There a number of other vehicles that aren't listed in the guide that can be towed four down with the addition of a transmission lube pump or a drive shaft disconnect. We've towed two unlisted Toyota RAV4's for over 50,000 miles combined with the addition of the pump.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Most rv connectors have a provision for running a extra 12vdc line from the rv to the toad which will eliminate the need for disconnecting the toad's battery. Also, it sounds like you're speaking of the legality of towing with or without aux toad brakes...ie; brake buddy.

The law differs from state to state with some not even having this law. Some are regulated to weight of toad, some are regulated to how far it takes you to stop from a certain speed.

The most important aspect is all about safety. It's a proven fact that in an emergency situation, you will stop quicker and in less distance if your toad is equipped with an aux braking system as oppose to not having one.

In addition you have to take into consideration that if you are traveling in a state that has this requirement and you are involved in an accident, you more than likely will not only receive a citation but also your insurance will refuse your claim.

So, it's your choice.'

Ron

Ron, I agree with almost everything you had to say, especially the third sentence about safety. I loved mine and I hope that the sucker who bought it from the thief who broke in my towed and stole it, finds out it won't work in his towed or that some LEO checks the serial number against the theft report I filed.

I do wonder, however, about the last sentence, CA has reciprocity with the other 49 states on the subject, and with a very few exceptions the other 49 states have the same agreement with CA.

And how can an insurance company refuse to pay a valid claim without first stating in the exceptions that it does not cover toweds without aux. breaking systems. Do you have a list of them so we can avoid them.

One thing to know is that insurance companies are "for profit". Meaning they want to maximize income (our payments) and minimize output (their payouts). They will go to no length to keep money in their account. Regardless of what we see in commercials, they never show up at an accident with a checkbook. So if you are in any kind of accident where the other person is liable, you are not at all their customer. You are never right.

That said another group to worry about in accident situations is trial lawyers. Say your toad comes unhooked, crosses the median of an interstate at 60 MPH and hits someone head on, you are liable. Even if you have the same company insuring your RV as the toad, they are going to look for ways to get out of what will be a huge payout. And the other driver your toad hit (or worse, the surviving family) will get a high powered TV lawyer to get everything you have. Then a 1000+ supplemental braking system seems cheap.

That said we tow without a supplemental brake. One thing I want to know is this: if your toad does separate from your RV now it's going from 60+ MPH to 0 quickly! What happens if someone rear ends it? Are you at just as much fault as the unbraked car hitting someone?
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Most rv connectors have a provision for running a extra 12vdc line from the rv to the toad which will eliminate the need for disconnecting the toad's battery. Also, it sounds like you're speaking of the legality of towing with or without aux toad brakes...ie; brake buddy.

The law differs from state to state with some not even having this law. Some are regulated to weight of toad, some are regulated to how far it takes you to stop from a certain speed.

The most important aspect is all about safety. It's a proven fact that in an emergency situation, you will stop quicker and in less distance if your toad is equipped with an aux braking system as oppose to not having one.

In addition you have to take into consideration that if you are traveling in a state that has this requirement and you are involved in an accident, you more than likely will not only receive a citation but also your insurance will refuse your claim.

So, it's your choice.'

Ron

Ron, I agree with almost everything you had to say, especially the third sentence about safety. I loved mine and I hope that the sucker who bought it from the thief who broke in my towed and stole it, finds out it won't work in his towed or that some LEO checks the serial number against the theft report I filed.

I do wonder, however, about the last sentence, CA has reciprocity with the other 49 states on the subject, and with a very few exceptions the other 49 states have the same agreement with CA.

And how can an insurance company refuse to pay a valid claim without first stating in the exceptions that it does not cover toweds without aux. breaking systems. Do you have a list of them so we can avoid them.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much rhadley53
PS this year there are only 6 or 7 pages of the actual vehicles!
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
HOT FLASH! It's now available on the WEB. Wasn't there when I checked yesterday but it is NOW.

I browsed it and at least a couple surprises:

4WD GMC Canyon is towable but not a Chevy version

Nissan Frontier pickup doesn't show towable. The manual shift ones used to be.

400-HP version of Lincoln Continental is towable...

and... Uh, Oh, not a Honda on the list...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

rhadley53
Explorer
Explorer
Just received the 2017 Dingy Towing Guide in this months Motor Home magazine.
Rick 08 Seneca 36MS
15 Jeep Grand Cherokee dingy

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked for 2017 and it seems to be a "not yet."

BTW - Thankful for MoHo putting this info out for all of us to use. Pretty sure that years ago we had to go to the library or find a subscriber who'd saved back issues.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
clearly you are more agile than me!
is the towable guide out yet?
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Actually all you would need to do is run a lead from the front to the rear with 12V on it and have another to plug in going to the towed veh battery. Not a real big deal. Old trucks had the same issue with trying to tie in slide in campers and the 4 point plug ins.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks lanerd
my old MH would need rewiring to do this!
no 7 pin here!
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Trailer life tow guide

that list is for vehicles that tow things.
I need the 2017 towable list
what vehicles i can tow beind the MH
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

So, it's your choice.'

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"i guess most will be where you have to disconnect the battery, so making it illegal to tow unless you have a cable from the MH to run the brakebuddy thingy". ???
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer