cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what do i need to know ?!?

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok so i'm giving some serious thought to buying a used class b. Primarily going to be used for traveling. Want to hit the roads and see the country within the next year.

We have a TT for camping, but really not interested in towing it around the country.

So what are your preferred amenities, layouts, chassis, engine, ect.

I'm picking the class b because of ease of driving. I can go anywhere with it don't need a toad (stores, sight seeing)fuel economy is good.

Any input is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
You have the right idea choosing to travel the country (and Canada) in a Class B. We did it for 8 years. One big advantage is that you can stop to do or see things along the way and not have to double back at night. This makes a huge difference.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Shearwater, i'm familiar with sportmobile, they make some nice off-road packages. Going to check out advanced rv

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a 2006 Sprinter B outfitted by Sportsmobile that we sold after 110,000 miles and currently have a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter outfitted by Advanced RV. We liked both of them for different reasons. The 2006 was fairly inexpensive by B standards, required little maintenance, and did the job. The settee/bunk arrangement and slide-out pantry were excellent.

The current B is so classy I can hardly stand it. It has the "magic batteries" discussed above that provide 600 amp-hours of 12V power. It does not have propane because I had 2 serious propane leaks with the old van.

I would suggest going to RV shows, or talking to people at campgrounds about their vehicles and what they dislike. Sit back and review whether those things appeal to you.
Advanced RV Sprinter

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Roadtrek wrote:
Read the FAQ's top of the B home page. Also, peruse the archives.

Thanks for the tip, i'll do that.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkguitar wrote:
any rv is a pile of compromises- the B has a high cost per sq ft, but makes it's mark for mpg, ease of driving and parking.

If you are tall, avoid sideways sleeper models ( max 72")

I close a chev because i can do regular services- if anything break anyone anywhere can work on it with parts from any autoparts store.

no special dealers or parts supply lines.

I have a 2006 pleasure-way lexor TD.
my bed is 72" w, 72L on pass side, 75" L on drivers- one of the larger available beds in a B
solid maple cabinetry

all my systems ( power) are old school proven technology. no solar pointed straight up when the sun is at an angle ( so i can park in the shade of a tree) and no special magic batteries

pleased as punch with it

Mike

Mike I'm familiar with the brand and model B you have. It's a beautiful coach. I'm with you on the old school systems probably because that is what I'm familiar with. But I do like the concept of some of new technology. Id imagine those "magic batteries" cost a good buck when its time to replace them.

Thank you all for your input it is appreciated.

Biaggio
Explorer
Explorer
I like our Winnibego ERA, for gas mileage, ease of driving. etc.

Somewhere I read a good point to consider. " You live outside of your class B, not inside".
Every RV class B model has it's trade offs, just decode on what's most important to you.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with a good Class B. Make sure you have the bed size you want and DO check to make sure you can live with the smaller bathrooms. If you are are going alone or with somebody else you will have plenty of room. Don't expect to kick back in the easy chair, but DO expect to actually be able to park. Boondocking at stores is a SNAP with a B.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
any rv is a pile of compromises- the B has a high cost per sq ft, but makes it's mark for mpg, ease of driving and parking.

If you are tall, avoid sideways sleeper models ( max 72")

I close a chev because i can do regular services- if anything break anyone anywhere can work on it with parts from any autoparts store.

no special dealers or parts supply lines.

I have a 2006 pleasure-way lexor TD.
my bed is 72" w, 72L on pass side, 75" L on drivers- one of the larger available beds in a B
solid maple cabinetry

all my systems ( power) are old school proven technology. no solar pointed straight up when the sun is at an angle ( so i can park in the shade of a tree) and no special magic batteries

pleased as punch with it

Mike

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I can go anywhere with it don't need a toad (stores, sight seeing)"

Most, not all. More than with my TT attached, less than with my TV alone.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Read the FAQ's top of the B home page. Also, peruse the archives.