Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum siding bulging out. Unsure how to fix

Leichardti
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Weekend Warrior FB2200

The aluminum siding on the front top left corner of my toy hauler is bulging out. About a 2'x3' area. I can push it back in with my hand but it eventually bulges back out.

The red box in the Photo is where the bulge occurs.
The first time I noticed the bulge is when I discovered the siding and the trim have developed a gap, by the red line in the photo.
On the interior of the trailer this would be the closet area.

I am not full sure how to go about fixing this issues, does anyone have any info or know of a link to another post with info on this?

It has taken some water in on the front left corner before. Also this is the side where all the water/moisture runs off. I'm guess there could be water damage or that area has weaken over time.

I figured I would post on the forum and search the web before going at it.

Thank you for your time.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo widths
2004 WW FB2200
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 5.9
12 REPLIES 12

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
RVguy77 wrote:
These seems like a delamination problem, but it is happening from the outside... I would take a look into Composet Products they have a bunch of stuff to help fix this

Others who are familiar with the models like that are talking about "siding"......which is NOT laminated to the wall material usually.

But the cause of the problem might be the same or similar to what causes delamination. In this case, a poorly repaired seam letting in water.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RVguy77
Explorer
Explorer
These seems like a delamination problem, but it is happening from the outside... I would take a look into Composet Products they have a bunch of stuff to help fix this

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Have you done all the frame re-enforcing needed for this trailer (see sticky at top of forum), I would start there or this will continue to happen.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
mine has a section like that, no leak though and only when traveling.

The siding comes in sheets that interlock, starting at the bottom working up they interlock once the first one is stapled, it holds the one above it by the tongue/groove interlock. they probably missed some staples in that section or they've rusted out/pulled out. if rusted out its because of a leak, not good. to take it apart you remove the strip at the top and work your way down. Might be worth a partial tear down to inspect.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Leichardti wrote:
Do you think I can do any of the repairs from inside the trailer?
Most of that area is in the closet on the inside of toy hauler. Could I cut out the wall and try to repair from the inside?
it will be easier to take the siding off and do it from the outside. it's not that hard to do, we used to do it all the tie at the shop

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add I had to do the same thing to my Hornet. Took the front cap off and peeled back the sides. Replaced rotted wood and insulation an replaced siding. Make sure to ware something to protect you from mold in insulation.

Leichardti
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I will do more research before i start the repair.
2004 WW FB2200

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Water damage is causing it to bulge.
I am willing to bet once it is pulled apart, all the wood has rotted.

Can't repair just from the inside.
The front cap needs to come off, at least.

That seal is horrible and that has let water in.

Over on glamisdunes.com, in the RV section, there have been a couple of people that have documented pulling their Warriors apart and fixing issues like this.

Might be worth the time to do some searching.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It could be as simple as insulation sag or flexing of the TT under certain conditions.
Our last TT had the same thing happen and I never had any other issues other than cosmetic. There was never a sign of leakage (at least in that area..).
I would clean up that caulking along the front edge though.

Leichardti
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think I can do any of the repairs from inside the trailer?
Most of that area is in the closet on the inside of toy hauler. Could I cut out the wall and try to repair from the inside?
2004 WW FB2200

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to visit an RV body shop.
And given the pictures, they will probably tell you that the whole thing needs to be re-sealed properly......in addition to fixing the indicated problem.

Is that really a toy-hauler ? It doesn't look big enough for that.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I know to fix it is take the aluminum siding off repair the damaged wood and find where the leak is and repair and put the siding back on. The staples that hold the siding are probably rusted and came apart or the wood is rotten and no longer can hold the staples.

It is a critical part of maintenance to keep the RV sealed against water intrusion.