cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Cummins EFI generator from same model evap

Scottfrost
Explorer
Explorer
So my Onan generator seized and died last fall. Non-repairable, no warranty. I bought a replacement Cummins 5500 replacement and installed it yesterday. All went well until I went to connect the fuel pump connector and it didn't fit. Hmmmm. A bit of research and turns out my new genny-- it's EFI while my original was evap. So... now what do I do? Generator is non-returnable from Norwall, so can I convert my '07 Winne Sightseer (gas not deisel) to EFI?
3 REPLIES 3

Scottfrost
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It's helping me validate some additional thinking and research. It must be a common conversion from EVAP to EFI as I found a memo online from Ford who makes my chassis noting that many Ford chassis used for RV manufacture did not come with EFI return lines and any after market conversions would void the Ford Chassis warranty related to fuel lines and systems, .... It's a 2007 so it's out of warranty anyway. The technical installation guide material I found has a picture showing how the return line is set up. And I also found a recommendation from someone who said don't drill into the fuel tank (for lots of reasons) and choose this adapter kit for return line. Moroso 65385 EFI Fuel Return Line Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GHUP8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_LqaYybZZ7CPKD

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe contact Onan to see if there is a kit that can adapt the FI gen, to the original MH wiring harness for the fuel pump. Everything for the FI should be on the new generator, so, just getting the wiring harness conversion would make this a snap to install. The AC side would be the same. Let us know how it works out. Could you inform us what the FI generator costs?
Wildmanbaker

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming this is on the input side of the fuel pump, it should be fairly easily possible to get some sort of an adapter or fitting to connect your existing fuel line. Perhaps the easiest way to get an appropriate part would be to drive the motorhome to an auto parts store and show the clerk your gozinta and gozouta and get the right doohicky to connect them up.

EFI sounds like a very nice feature for an RV generator.