cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a fifth wheel

roxie444
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2500 gmc sierra diesel short bed pickup with extra fuel tank in bed. I would like to buy a fifth wheel. what type of info do I need to pick one out
8 REPLIES 8

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
djgodden wrote:
Beware the weight gestapo out there.

X2. You can do this with a large gasser to the dismay of many. Many will jump on you saying Diesel only.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Beware the weight gestapo out there.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

roxie444
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the info

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck and I pull a new 5er that comes in at about 11,500 lbs loaded. My Duramax has no problem pulling this trailer. With the short bed, you have to check cab clearance on tight turns. I have an Andersen Ultimate adapter and with the 4" offset, it's not a problem unless I approach 45 degree angles.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or put some 3500 badges on it to keep the weight cops off your six....since it's the same as a 3500 anyway.
Roughly, I'd keep it under 15k with a short srw, esp if you're planning on a lot of towing miles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest issue will be what your truck's payload capacity is.
Use that to find trailers with pin weights well within the truck's payload capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to get a Sliding Hitch for that short bed truck. I have a Superglide. We got a Camper that has 1 bed, and a pull out couch. Kids are grown, so we got more room for us. Opposing slides is a nice thing too.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
True scaled weight of the truck ready to travel is a start. GVWR of the truck is next.
Depending on year you will be limited to a fiver around 10,000 GVWR or less.