cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BC in early spring

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
We stored our RV in Kamloops last year and are flying back soon for the last lap of our east to west exploration of our great big country. Our plan is to swing by the Kelowna area to fill the wine cellar, spend a while near Vancouver visiting friends, then head for Vancouver Island.

Suggestions are requested for parks that will be comfortable this time of year, attractions open in March and April, and ideas of things to do when it may be cool and damp.

BC was wonderful last June and we're open to a different experience this trip.
12 REPLIES 12

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
So far, so good. We've learned that many campgrounds are open and occupied by a combination of hardy souls living there for the long term and occasional mad travelers like ourselves. This link provides some listings of parks open in winter but is not by any means comprehensive. http://www.travel-british-columbia.com/camping/winter-camping/ Kelowna was terrific. If you find yourself on the west side, it's worth driving the few km south to Peachland to stay at Todd's https://www.toddsrv.com/

We are equipped with six truck snow tires so were prepared for wintry conditions; thankfully they have not be called into serious action. We came to Hope via Penticton and Princeton, Hwy 3, and will see mountains in our sleep tonight. On to the Vancouver area tomorrow.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Here I see a link to Drive BC info
Check the links lower down on the page it will give you tire requirements to for RV's as well as road maps showing which ones require winter tires, and other "stuff"
Drive BC Links
I live on the west side of Kootenay Pass ( Salmo / Creston) one of the highest mountain passes open year round in Canada . The RCMP have turned people around from time to time in bad weather conditions ( snow) because they don't have correct tires on their vehicles, I have wintnessed it.
I'm not saying they will turn you around on your trip,at that time of year and the chances are slim, however it has been done under extreme weather conditions around here, so just keep an eye on the weather conditions and Hwy cams formthe route you take.
Hwy 1 would be the best route to the coast anytime of the year in my opinion.

Soup..
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the Okanagan area campgrounds open April 7th which is earlier than most. Okanagan South (Between Summerland and Peachland)is open year round but does not have services except vault toilets during the winter.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer

Highway 5 (Coquihalla) reaches far higher elevations than Highway 1 (Fraser Canyon). If running into a late-season snowfall is a concern, I would definitely recommend Highway 1. That route is about an hour slower by passenger vehicle, but has the advantage of less extreme grades than Highway 5.

Thanks, good to know. We've got plenty of time so slower routes are no problem.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
VagrantVan wrote:
Watch the weather, the passes will be unpredictable for a while yet. Snow tires or chains are also mandatory until March 31.

I confess to having a poor grasp of the terrain and road conditions between Kamloops and Vancouver. Is there a route that would provide fewer challenges than others?

Highway 5 (Coquihalla) reaches far higher elevations than Highway 1 (Fraser Canyon). If running into a late-season snowfall is a concern, I would definitely recommend Highway 1. That route is about an hour slower by passenger vehicle, but has the advantage of less extreme grades than Highway 5.

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the recommendations for parks and towns. We were entranced by our trip through the mountains from the Alberta side and know lots of beauty awaits.

When staying in a city or large town we look for a park that is near public transit as we do not have a tow car. We're a 29 ft Class C, which gets us most places we need to go, but urban driving is not always fun. We also enjoy parks where we can walk to grocery stores, coffee shops, museums, galleries -- and anywhere with an ocean or mountain view.

Has anybody reading this used Harvest Hosts in BC? Which wineries? Was it a good experience?

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weather, the passes will be unpredictable for a while yet. Snow tires or chains are also mandatory until March 31.

This sounds like information we need to understand. Are snow tires required in BC in all circumstances until March 31, or are there particular requirements in mountain passes? We once drove through BC at a time of year when there were snow squalls and found the radio stations very helpful in passing on warnings of where the highways were slippery or had reduced visibility.

I confess to having a poor grasp of the terrain and road conditions between Kamloops and Vancouver. Is there a route that would provide fewer challenges than others?

Thank you (and other posters) for taking the time to respond.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
For the Vancouver area there are several parks that I would recommend depending on what area you want to be in. I would not recommend Dogwood RV Park; it has degraded to quite a scummy run down place with lots of live ins and is very noisy with the highway upgrade. Fort Langley Camping, Burnaby Cariboo RV Park, Capilano RV Park, and Eaglewind RV Park are all full service parks with decent room even for large rigs. Capilano RV Park is closest to downtown Vancouver although it won't be the quietest place out of these. Further out near Chilliwack is Bridal Falls Camperland Resort which is our favorite local park, although it is likely too far out for sight seeing in the city.

If you can name some of your desired features I can certainly narrow it down for you.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, the campground our family went to in West Kelowna for a few generations became a condo development a couple years back, so I can't give you advice in that area.

As for attractions on the island, we always find ourselves going back to Coombs, Cathedral Grove, and Tofino/Ucluelet. The road from Port Alberni is two-lane undivided and windy, however, so that might be best left as a day trip in a rental or toad, or a night or two in a hotel. Black Rock Resort in Ucluelet is fantastic.

Further south on the island are Cowichan Bay and Chemainus, which are nice as well.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were pleased with Dogwood RV Park in Surrey, it is very convenient to everything and is reasonably priced. We looked at Tynehead but access is not good and sites are narrow.
The bloom is late this year due to the unusually long winter but should be starting soon, spring at the coast is unbelievable with all the colour. If you don't have a toad rent a car to see Stanley Park and the VanDusen gardens. Walk or bike the seawall. So much to see and do.

VagrantVan
Explorer
Explorer
ccchuck wrote:
"We stored our RV in Kamloops last year.."

would like to here more on that arrangement if you have the time.

Not sure whether you mean our Kamloops arrangement or RV storage more generally. We're in the habit of using our RV far from our Newfoundland home. We do not require year-round access to it and prefer not to drive it thousands of unnecessary km. When we have done our trip for the year we find a storage location through local listings, RV dealers, friends or online ads. We fly home and later fly back for our next excursion. Storage usually costs about $500 for the year.

In Kamloops we located this small facility online, through Kijiji I think. I'd rather not provide contact info publicly as the operation is quite small, but if there's a way we can communicate privately I can give the guy's name and number.

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
"We stored our RV in Kamloops last year.."

would like to here more on that arrangement if you have the time.
RVing since '74..