cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leaving wdh on tow vehicle

Kathy_V
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RVing. I have a Keystone Bullet 2070 with a wdh and sway bar system. Not sure of all the technical terms, but I think I got that right. ๐Ÿ™‚ My question is, as a woman taking that wdh hitch on and off my tow vehicle, a 2016 Nissan Frontier, is a little more than I can handle alone. Is it okay to leave that on my truck, using a hitch lock I am thinking, while I am traveling? I would have help removing it when I return home. The longest it would be on my truck would be a couple weeks or so. Also, if it is okay to leave it on any tips or suggestions about the bars/chains and keeping them in place (do they swing around while moving if not hitched?) and preventing them from dragging? Thank you! Kathy V.
29 REPLIES 29

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
cbshoestring wrote:
REALLY FOLKS....if you are busting a knee on a hitch that does not belong to you. You ARE WALKING WAY TO CLOSE TO someone else's property...walk around----that is how those UNKNOWN scratches appear of vehicles.

I had a lady complain one time that she had to "push her cart into oncoming traffic to go around THAT THING". I asked her why she needed to push her cart within a foot of my bumber, when there is an entire parking lot to push it in? Did she expect me to move it so she can see how close to my tailgate she can get without scratching it?

I do store it in the front compartment of the TT most of the time, but I might not remove it for a quick trip to town from the CG.

If it's in a public parking lot and I'm walking around a car backing or pulling out and I don't notice it and walk into it expect some type of payback, let your imagination run with whatever you think of. It could be an insurance claim against you, or you may find something else!!!!! Let your imagination run wild!

Apperantly my response was a bit personal. I am not sure why threating distruction of my property is not personal, but so be it.

I stand behind my statement that there is no reason to "squeeze" your body within a foot of my tailgate. That is how marks, dings, scratches, etc.... mysteriously appear. A hitch sticking out 6" from my bumber (a foot from my tailgate) is NOT in the way.

I have stubbed my toe a thousand times....it has never been the coffee table's FAULT.

Sorry if you get a boo-boo.....but please refrain from taking out vengence against an inanimate object.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Believe it or not it's illegal to leave it in place for MA, VA and PA. Good thing you're in FL.

Everything's illegal in Massachusetts where the Puritans landed! :B
Ray

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
My hitches stay in all the time. No reason to remove it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
REALLY FOLKS....if you are busting a knee on a hitch that does not belong to you. You ARE WALKING WAY TO CLOSE TO someone else's property...walk around----that is how those UNKNOWN scratches appear of vehicles.

I had a lady complain one time that she had to "push her cart into oncoming traffic to go around THAT THING". I asked her why she needed to push her cart within a foot of my bumber, when there is an entire parking lot to push it in? Did she expect me to move it so she can see how close to my tailgate she can get without scratching it?

I do store it in the front compartment of the TT most of the time, but I might not remove it for a quick trip to town from the CG.

If it's in a public parking lot and I'm walking around a car backing or pulling out and I don't notice it and walk into it expect some type of payback, let your imagination run with whatever you think of. It could be an insurance claim against you, or you may find something else!!!!! Let your imagination run wild!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Living in the Colorado Rockies for many years you'd see lots of ball mounts sticking out, including from a couple of my trucks in parking lots. Never heard a complaint. I guess we all learned to avoid them. I occasionally would walk between the back of one of my vehicles and the garage door, even in the dark and never banged a shin. That's always amazed me!
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
KD4UPL wrote:
Do be aware that for some ridiculous reason it is illegal in certain places. (What's this country coming too?)

If you banged your shin on a hitch shank, just once, you'd be screaming, "THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW!"

The main reason, though, is because the hitch shank compromises the crash protection built into modern cars. It causes far worse damage to the car that rear ends you than a bumper-on-bumper collision. It goes from zero damage in a slow collision to potentially totaling the car that hit you.

While you may be saying to yourself, "Well GOOD! They weren't paying attention, and they deserve it!" remember that the person that hit you is not paying for the repairs. Their insurance is paying for the repairs. You're not teaching them a lesson, you're causing higher insurance premiums for everyone.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
WNYBob wrote:
I just reviewed the DMV driver's manual here in NY and it states that it is illegal to leave a ball hitch in the receiver of a vehicle!

Never heard that being enforced, but if in a crash back there you are open to legal liability.

Paranoia will destroy ya!!

Best part of a trailer hitch is it makes your pickup semi immune to minor rear end accidents from others, s especially smaller vehicles with plastic bumpers!
Kind of fun when someone skewers their car on your hitch and you get out and ask them if it's ok to pull away and then you have to give them their bumper cover back!

Avoided at least a half dozen minor repairs or insurance claim/accident report bs thanks to a long shank pintle hitch!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our Equalizer hitch and bars in the receiver when we are running solo during a camping trip. When we're at home the TV won't fit in the garage with the hitch on.

I found a backpack-looking bag at Lowes (black and grey) that will fit over the head when the bars are pushed up under the truck. This reduces shin/knee damage, and saves the grease stains on my pants. I secure it with bunge chords.

Obviously have a lock where the hitch goes into the truck receiver. Also slightly drilled out the pins that hold the bars in the sockets so that I can use a small keyed-alike lock in both of them so the bars don't walk off.

Frankly I would be more worried about the hitch being stolen in a campground than I would with it hooked to the truck.

And as others have said, I try to pay attention to where and how I park it with the hitch on. Backing into spots where there is no sidewalk or pathway works well.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
Bumpers are required to stop dangerous impacts. a hitch changes how a vehicle impacts another vehicle. its more about safety rather than insurance pay outs, although I`m sure the insurance companies didn't complain!

It`s simple, take it out when not in use.

I've seen what happens when the hitch is hit from behind. It makes the damage much worse because of the leverage. It can twist it so hard that it deforms the frame!

I also take it out because I'm afraid some jerk-wad will steel it. Can you imagine how hard it would be to find a replacement on a Sunday after noon at some CG in the middle of nothing?

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
I think mine cost me a tailgate paint job. Left it on and drove a half mile to a Rock Concert. After the concert, my 6 month old truck had a key scratch completely across the tail gate.
My guess is, someone who was a little inebriated, bounced their shins off of it and paid me back with the scratch.
When camping, I usually leave mine in, but I am mindful about trying to park away from foot traffic if I go anywhere.
And, you absolutely have to take the bars off.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpers are required to stop dangerous impacts. a hitch changes how a vehicle impacts another vehicle. its more about safety rather than insurance pay outs, although I`m sure the insurance companies didn't complain!

It`s simple, take it out when not in use.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Illinois made it illegal to leave the hitch in the receiver a couple of years ago. It was the insurance companies who got the law enacted. Their reason was that there is more damage to the second vehicle when it hits the front vehicle due to the hitch being lower than the bumpers. The insurance company of the first vehicle is now on the hook for the damage to it's vehicle and the second vehicle due to the hitch doing more damage than if only the bumpers were to meet up.
USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
When I do drive around with the hitch on, I try to do things like park backed in to a spot so that someone doesn't hit the hitch. Just keep in mind you have that hanging out behind your vehicle. As mentioned, some people put a cap over the hitch ball... does two things: Keep the grease on the ball, and if it is brightly colored can help other people to see the hitch (so they don't crash their shins into it). A tennis ball with a slit cut in it can work.

I think the reason that hitches are not supposed to be used without towing on State roads is that they don't have marker lights on them, and/or a surrounding bumper. I believe this is more geared towards highway / interstate roads. Probably also can get the state another ticket fee.

(I'm in Connecticut... EVERYTHING has a fee or tax!)