cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with trip out West

rolltider11
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys, I'm in Birmingham, Al. I'm trying to plan a trip out west for the last week of June 2017 through the first 3 weeks in July. I am off for 4 weeks, my wife is off 3. I'm going to to try and get out west and have wife fly in when she gets off on Friday. Would like to see Grand canyon, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Bryce,Zion, Arches, and Yellowstone. No idea if this is possible or not. Never been out there so please advise on a good route with days at each place, where to meet wife to technically start the trip, and what I need to see. Do I need reservations or can I just wing it? Thanks!
39 REPLIES 39

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We did the desert in June and July in '14 and are doing it again this year. If it's the only window you have, make it work...you can plan around the heat "most" of the time. Just don't be silly, like sleeping in until 10am and then going for a mid day hike. ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks makes a good point. The desert is HOT at that time of year (July). 105-110 degrees is not unusual. But, it's a dry heat!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
If I had that time slot (assuming it's not movable) I would go to Yellowstone and areas around there and SKIP the desert. All the attractions you mentioned will be crowded so that's neutral. Don't get me wrong I love the GC, Utah, AZ, etc. but July??? HELL no. I was in Zion, Arches, Moab, etc. April of 2016 and it was already a bit hot for my taste. Beautiful though!
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rolltider11
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking a helicopter and flying over dam and landing in Grand Canyon and visiting Hoover dam. That's the only 2 things I know I'm doing. Please advise to what we should do! We've never been.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Scott,

Everything looks good to me.

What are your plans for Las Vegas? We go about 4 times a year. The shows are great and a lot of excellent restaurants.

If you have not seen Hoover Dam, it's a must do. Take the tour where you go down to see the turbines (if still available).

Good luck and have fun!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rolltider11
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, sorry haven't checked forum lately but here is plans as of now: wife can now go out with me, so
Albequerque (American rv) 2 nights
Rancho verde rv near sedona 4 nights
Las Vegas (oasis) 4 nights
Kanab (rv Corral) 4 nights
Moab (Moab valley rv) 2 nights
Park city rv resort 1-2 nights
Swan valley (rendezvous at south fork) 2 nights
Yellowstone edge or Livingston koa 4 nights.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Use the links in my sig to see what we did with 6 weeks in the Southwest. Leave off the RMNP part of our trip and it would have still been amazing and fit in your time schedule.

I agree with all others in leaving Yellowstone off of this list. We've done a few of these trips now and are gradually migrating to less driving and more getting to know a place.

You will find that in several locations you are leaving long before you'd like to. Especially for an active family.

Regarding summer heat. We did it. Not ideal, but the heat can be planned around. Like others said, the nights cool down enough.

On your list, I'd take off Yellowstone and add Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands and then hit highlights in Colorado on my way for wife to fly out of Denver.

Yellowstone is a place where fast pace doesn't serve well.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I love the area, been there 8-10 times. Camp at the trading post in Monument valley, good facility that must be on the do list for Europeans. There are two road hazards that are not apparent on the map. Access tunnel height limitations to Brice from east side. A road north up the escarpment around Mexican hat with short vehicle limitations due to severe switchbacks

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it is doable. Haul bananas to Vegas and have DW fly and meet you there.
Then Willams and take the train to see Grand canyon for the day. 2 or 3 nights.
Then ZION and Bryce for maybe 3 nights each.
Then onto Tetons for a few nights and then to Yellowstone for maybe 4 nights. Lower loop one day, upper loop second day. Out the east entrance to Rushmore.
One night en-route and two nights near Rushmore. Stop in Cody WY on the way through for a few hours to see Buffalo Bill museum.
After a full day at Rushmore and a nights' sleep you high-tail it back home.

Get your calendar and mark the days. Get reservations where you can especially inside Yellowstone. Going to be tight so plan it out and know where to cut and run if needed.

I would skip Vegas/Hoover before I skipped Yellowstone.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Vegas will be very hot but not Grand Canyon. It will be warm but not like you're used to in Bama because there's no humidity! ๐Ÿ™‚ The nights cool way down.

Definitely try to get a weeks' notice and a reservation at Arches for the Fiery Furnace hike. Your children (& you) will absolutely love it but it's very popular so a reservation is a must. Arches is undergoing a lot of construction all summer so it's going to be slow-going and you'll need a car to drive it. The parking lots there are normally extremely crowded with little rental Class C's and with construction it's going to be a bear. Don't try it with only the motorhome. Plan to head out to the park early morning (even 6-7am) for cool temps and less traffic.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
You don't state whether you have a toad or not. You will need one as most of the parks you want to visit are not conducive to driving a 40'DP around the roads once you park in a site. We live in the West and have done these parks many, many times. most campgrounds in the parks you want to visit are not all that suitable for a 40 footer. Most do not have hooks ups and Arches does not have water available in the campgrounds. Go into all of these parks with empty black and grey tanks and full fresh water!!! Most allow generators for only a limited number of hours during the day. You will encounter very hot days and will be running your A/C for the allowed generator hours. YOU MUST MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW IF YOU WANT TO STAY IN THE PARKS!!!! ENJOY BUT PREPARE.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an idea, have your wife fly into Las Vegas, or Flagstaff area. From Flagstaff you can take in the Grand Canyon. It's a drive from Flagstaff, or find something closer. Then drive up to Kanab, UT. From here you can take in Zion, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Then to take in Bryce Canyon I'd go to Bryce, UT and stay at Ruby's Inn & RV Park, it's right outside the main gate. For Capital Reef you drive over to Torrey, UT it's just north of the park. Or do a day trip, it's a beautiful drive too.

But in the months of June & July, your going to need reservations just about everywhere. And it's going to be a little on the warm side. So your going to need the A/C unit.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rolltider,

First off, A 600 mile day is a 12 hour road day.
Unless you have multiple drivers and your coach is pleasant enough for one to sleep underway, be aware that a 600 mile day is tough. And you are betting on three in a row.

We have done this. We don't when we can avoid it.
Train both kids to be navigators, that takes a lot of load off the driver.

There is no longer any good stand-alone planning software that can be used to navigate underway. But grab up the demo package of RV TripWizard and fight it to your plan. It will be pretty good, but it will also be an eye-opener.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you pass through Amarillo, you need to go just a bit south of Amarillo and go to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. It's beautiful. Also Coyote Bluff cafe in Amarillo if you like awesome greasy food.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.