cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some Odd questions from Canadian Customs

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
So as some of you may know I just completed the drive from Tucson to Fairbanks and you can see some pics and the details on my other post. But here I thought I would highlight some very ODD questions I got from Canadian Customs upon crossing the border at Sumas WA.

Just some background I have been through literally hundreds of Customs/border crossings all over the world and many ask some pretty silly questions. Including our own US Customs.

I drove up to the window and turned off my truck. After the normal questions about food and liquor and how long we would be in Canada (Only as long as it takes to get to Alaska I said) The questions about Guns started.

Do you have any guns or firearms with you? NO (this is a perfectly normal question)

Any ammunition? NO

Are you carrying any guns or firearms? Uhm...NO

Do you OWN any guns? (This is the question I find a bit unusual. The answer is NO. But in the US it is legal to won a gun and as long as I am not bringing it to Canada what do they care?)

Then the clincher..

WHY NOT? he says to me. I just looked at him. Finally I said because I don't.

The other odd question was: Why are you going to Alaska? Because I want to. I said with a smile on my face. Then I added respectfully...I will be working there.

What will you be doing? Oh good grief I thought...why does he care what I do in my own country? Working for------. I replied.

Ok have a safe trip he says.

Never asked about the dog in the back staring at him.
73 REPLIES 73

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a love / hate relationship with those Customs folks on both sides of the border. Good and bad experiences have been discussed here.

Probably best to approach the border with an open mind, positive and respectful attitude, with intentions of being truthful toward the questions asked. I suspect the border Officers take their responsibility seriously and most want to make our crossing experience safe and as negatively uneventful as possible.

Safe travels.

Lakeside

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had them ask me about dog food, when they looked at the bag they deemed it acceptable. If they took it I could go to the Walmart in Dryden and pick up the same stuff so no big deal.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Seamutt wrote:
For some reason a couple times coming back into Canada I have been asked if carrying bear spray. I asked about that and was told if I was it would be seized. I find that funny because one can go into the nearest sporting goods store and buy bear spray.

They may have been asking if you had a pepper spray, like Mace which is forbidden, not bear spray.

When we crossed we were asked if we had any pepper spray. We had a 3" cylinder which was labeled 'Dog Repellent' which we carried when biking. The agent closely examined the label and apologized but said "I'm very sorry but I will have to take this". It was no big deal as I think at the time it cost a couple bucks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Seamutt wrote:
For some reason a couple times coming back into Canada I have been asked if carrying bear spray. I asked about that and was told if I was it would be seized. I find that funny because one can go into the nearest sporting goods store and buy bear spray.

They may have been asking if you had a pepper spray, like Mace which is forbidden, not bear spray.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
pirlbeck wrote:
Seamutt wrote:

Is this a standard policy or more of an isolated incident? We are/were planning on having bear spray with us when we cross.
I believe it is an isolated incident, as we travel with 2 large cans of bear spray. We have been asked to produce them on several occasions, but that was so they could verify 2 things, 1) it must say bear spray on the can and 2) it must also say not for use on humans, or something along that line. Have never had a can confiscated.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I've crossed a dozen times and always tell them (Canadian customs) I have bear spray and have never been told I couldn't.

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Seamutt wrote:

Is this a standard policy or more of an isolated incident? We are/were planning on having bear spray with us when we cross.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
PackerBacker, that was hilarious. Too bad the agent didn't have a sense of humor.

I agree. Very funny. Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
Crossed into the States from Canada one time, I am Canadian, Guard noticed my worn tires and commented about them. The tires worn almost to the wear bars. Coming back into Canada the guard gets out of his booth to check my tires, same ones. They do communicate.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Imo there are no stupid questions,,just stupid answers..

If you have nothing to hide,you have nothing to worry about,worked well for me so far..:)

Getting upset is not healthy..keep on trucking folks..

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker, that was hilarious. Too bad the agent didn't have a sense of humor.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I have often read on here, questions on the booze that is in the 'bar' of the RV,a bit of that, quarter bottle of that, etc. The answers always vary.
A few friends and I were returning from a boat trip to the US and were checking in with Canadian Border Services at Bedwell Harbour, a place featured a few times in the TV Show, 'Border Security'.
We were asked about booze and as we started to rattle off what was in our 'bar', the agent cut us off and said something like, "You mean the amount normal to the boat" I wish I could remember exactly what he said, as it sounded like a stock phrase that was taken from their operating manual.
I'm thinking that this would also apply to an RV, assuming of course, that the agent was familiar with this?
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Let me share a funny alcohol story that happened many many years ago.

A buddy of mine and myself were returning from a summer camping trip organised in upstate NY for both US National Ski Patrol and Canadian Ski Patrol members

When we got to the border, the Canadian agent asked if we had any alcohol with us, my buddy said no we did not. The agent noticed a cooler sitting on the back seat and he then left the booth to open the cooler. He found a wine bottle with about an inch of wine left in it. He took it out of the cooler brought it to the car window and asked my buddy what it was. My buddy grabbed the bottle from him, pulled loosely stuck-in cork and downed the rest of the wine. He handed the bottle back to the agent and exclaimed "that sir, is an empty bottle".

Needless to say we were pulled in and spent to next 6 hours detained inside the customs office. Lesson learned! :E

... Eric

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
The Canadians can be really sticklers for alcohol.

Now I know to the ounce how much alcohol we have entering Canada. No problems since.

Sounds like good advice to know how much alcohol one has on board when crossing borders. Probably also good idea to be cognizant of the kinds and amount of food on board also.

Thanks Veebyes for taking the time to share.

Lakeside