cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting question on Valterra sewer hose carrier

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would like to install a sewer hose carrier under our TT between the I-beams which are 6' apart and not sure how to mount it. Valterra makes a fixed length 94" carrier and an adjustable one 50-94". The next shorter one is 64" long. Their photos show the saddles at the ends of the tube. Do these slide along the tube or are they glued in place at the ends? Would like to use the full 94" length which would mean the saddles would need to be about 1' from the ends. Can you cut the fixed length one and shorten it? But how would you reconnect it - is there a coupling that will work?

Valterra does have just a saddle available but there are two types. Can't tell if the one in middle photo glues on or if you add your own strap? Does the one is last photo need to slide on from an end or can be put over any spot along the tube? It looks like maybe you must have the saddles at each end because the end cap attaches onto the saddles?

20 REPLIES 20

BugsRLB
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get the black fence post & caps?
Or, did you paint it?

Thanx
2018 Ford F350 SRW 6.7PowerStroke/6 Speed Auto
2017 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Well that's sneaky! Noticed the bracket thingies but not the post on top. I'd have to mount it under the bumper because the backup camera sits on top.

Location is the choice of the user. Like I said, my sewer hose holder is eventually going under the trailer since I have other ideas for the bumper location. You stated you wanted to mount the Valterra tube on the frame. Just use brackets and beam clamps sold at any big box store.

This is an image of the mounting clamps I made, two pieces of aluminum flat stock (drilled), threaded rod (covered with aluminum tube I had), and fasteners:

Detail of fence post cap and locking clasp:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
HouseApe wrote:
Have a look at this brand. They make the SUPER-SLIDER Adjustable SUPER-TUBE

Super Tube

Have seen those, thanks. Problem is they seem to cost a fair bit more. They're basically the same thing.

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at this brand. They make the SUPER-SLIDER Adjustable SUPER-TUBE

Super Tube
2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well that's sneaky! Noticed the bracket thingies but not the post on top. I'd have to mount it under the bumper because the backup camera sits on top.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
sorry , but look closer , that is a black fence post mounted on top of the bumper. you can get krylon plastic paint and paint your white pipe and mount it under your trailer.

Exactly!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
sorry , but look closer , that is a black fence post mounted on top of the bumper. you can get krylon plastic paint and paint your white pipe and mount it under your trailer.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting, I didn't know that a piece of gutter plus a hose would fit inside a bumper. We have a piece of half round PVC gutter that I had originally thought of using for the hoses on a previous TT but it's white and our exterior trim is all black so won't work underneath the frame. Why don't they just make the bumpers a little larger?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
did wonder about some ordinary fittings and pipe normally used for other purposes. There is a nominal 5" dia. thinwall PVC electrical duct that is made in black (and some other colors). Exact diameter is 5.30" and the Valterra is 5-1/32" so the Valterra saddle would be too small.
Yes, the Valterra saddle brackets would be a tough fit on standard pipe. A standard clamp/bracket for a 5" pipe would be a good fit for the Valterra tube as the difference in diameter is negligible -- 1/4" in diameter. That can be taken up with tape or shims for an exact fit.

For the price and convenience, I'd suggest to use the square fence post cover. You can even have a 4" (nominal) PVC gutter inside to use as a drawer when storing or a ramp when in use. I have mine attached to the square rear bumper, now, but plan to sling it underneath after a planned drain makeover.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will fit the Rhino hose but you have to detach the 90 degree elbow as it will not fit when attached (it will fit when detached along with the hose).
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I moved the spare tire to under the frame and don't particularly want to attach a round pipe to the bumper.

I did wonder about some ordinary fittings and pipe normally used for other purposes. There is a nominal 5" dia. thinwall PVC electrical duct that is made in black (and some other colors). Exact diameter is 5.30" and the Valterra is 5-1/32" so the Valterra saddle would be too small.

Would be a downer to buy or make a hose carrier then discover the hose won't fit. Haven't put our hoses in the bumper for years but as I remember, it was a snug fit and the bayonet tabs had to be at 45 degrees. Will need to measure. If I got the adjustable carrier I could get a couple of extra saddles but the two sections of pipe are different diameters. Wish they had more info. on their website.

d&w incorp. has their Phoenix hose carrier that looks pretty much the same but costs quite a bit more and not sure if it's worth considering.

I just phoned Valterra and didn't find out anything I don't already know.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of different pipe clamps/brackets available. There is certainly a clamp/bracket that fits the Valterra pipe.

If you have not purchased this carrier, I'd recommend that you find out if it will be large enough to hold the Rhino hose and it's fittings. It would be a shame to buy this carrier and find that it is not large enough to hold the most durable and available sewer hoses.

Is there some special reason that you can't/won't use a fence post cover?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Attached my 64" carrier on top of my rear bumper with four extra large zip ties. Works fine for a 15' sewer hose. I check the ties each time I store the hose. No broken ties yet.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are fixed position. I attached mine to the top of the rear bumper using extra large zip ties, just fits in the space between the tire carrier and the rear wall. I did have to adjust things a bit due to the way the door opens, the way I ran it initially the door hit the back of the trailer blocking the large rhino hose from being inserted or removed.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH