cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best satelite for reception and multiple tv's

vintholidays
Explorer
Explorer
we just purchased a new 2017 sunseeker that has 3 tv's. We would like to get a satelite dish so we can get our favorite tv channels while camping, i cant take that antenna anymore !! We already have AT&T for our home cable service. Any suggestions on what to get, that would accomodate tv's and still be affordable? Has anyone used DISH Pay as you Go before?? Going out west this summer and would like to be able to watch tv on the road and also enjoy in the evening at campsite. We're new to this satelite tv stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

geeman53
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a winegard PA 1000 dish for Dish.
2016 forest river sunseeker 2250 slec

elvis90210
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Winegard RT8000T (in motion) to my Class C. I ran a single feed into a single Direct TV unit - then into the switch box, all via coaxial. I choose a specific Direct TV unit so that it had a RF remote instead of the usual IR.
So, yes, if someone selects the satellite TV they all have to watch the same programming - but I didnt have HDMI run to the TVs.

The in motion is great and I would definitely recommend that.
Mark, Shelley, Grace, Robert & Thomas
2014 SunSeeker 3170DS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am very happy with my Winegard Pathway X 2 auto seek carryout dish.

It supports two sat receivers. If you want HD, there are no carryout auto seek for Directv.

DISH has two sets of sats; an eastern arc for the east coast and a western arc for the west. In most of the country you can use either.

The Pathway is the only carryout that can get both. They are in different parts of the sky so it can be a big advantage to be able to select which arc you can see due to trees, etc.

I have DISH at home and just added a box to the rv.

The Pathway is about $400 delivered.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to multiple tvs off one box, this is another part you will need. Sat box into this splitter, then from the splitter into the HDMI CAT5 transmitter, CAT5 network cable to the TV location, then the HDMI CAT5 receiver at the TV. Have fun getting the cables pulled to where you need them!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-1-x-4-Audio-Video-3D-1080P-HD-HDMI-Splitter-Amplifier-Multiplier-Box-New-/351878774389?hash=item51ed9bfe75:g:5LcAAOSwLF1X5gNs

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We use a King Tailgater and Dish TV. The monthly cost is an extra $7 on our regular Dish bill and they will put that on hold anytime we store the RV and I call them. The equipment cost is about $400. We have had it for a year now and it has been trouble free. Finds signal within 5 minutes of starting the setup. At first I used the unit as a portable thinking I could more easily find a clear signal spot to dodge trees but in the end fastened it to the roof as I found it was a wash as to whether being able to move it around beat the advantage of the extra 12' of elevation provided by the roof (found when it was 'loose', I was frequently climbing up to put it there anyway). You just get in the habit of requesting a site without trees. Sometimes, in really wooded areas, you just have to accept the fact that you will be watching DVD that night. There's a small campground off I-80 in CA at Dutch Flat that is nothing but towering pines except for the road through and the spot to park. You have to be a magician to watch sat tv there! If you do mount one on the roof, be sure to put it at the front of the coach. Unless you unplug the receiver, even when turned off it will often make a whirring noise as the dish occasionally readjusts to satellite signal variations. We learned this before I permanently mounted it and would climb the rear ladder and set it on the roof over the bed! You ALMOST get to sleep and "WHIRRRR"! The Tailgater has outputs for 2 sat boxes so can only service 2 tvs (that means an extra $100 receiver and another 7 a month). With tv inputs being HDMI now it's a little trickier sending the same signal to multiple TVs. You can do it with the old coax but your picture is probably not going to meet your standards of comfortable viewing now that we are all spoiled by HDTV. We use a single sat box for just the main tv. Our 2015 Winnebago has 2 'network' cables from the entertainment bay to the main TV and came with a network to HDMI adapter at each end (see link). That was my first time seeing these things. They do work very well. Getting the right type of cable pulled to the proper place on an RV can be a real trick. The outside TV is the 'dvd movie tv', and though the bedroom tv doesn't get used often, we'll watch antenna or park cable on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-LAN-Extender-Over-Single-Cat-5E-Cat-6-RJ45-3D-up-to-200Ft-60-Meter-1080P-/152354742509?hash=item23790ce0ed:g:P84AAOSw2xRYUCmE

vintholidays
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the suggestion. whats the approximate cost on that? Do you ever have a problem with signal?

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Winegard satellite dish with DirecTV that automatically locates the signal when we turn it on. We love it for our two TVs.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen