cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travato 59G transmission question

Ralphie76
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchase of a 2015 Winnebago Travato 59G. The chassis is a Ram Promaster 3.6L, 280hp V6 gas engine and 6 speed 62TE transmission. Has anyone had problems with it rolling when the parking break is set and the engine off? Is it true that it automatically goes into neutral when the parking break is set? Sounds like a potential problem. Any advice/experience welcome.
7 REPLIES 7

Ralphie76
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,
Many thanks. It's just as you say. We took delivery on our 59G with the Promaster 3.6L V6 on Monday. It does indeed have a "Park" position. The dealer I spoke with some weeks ago must have been referring to the automatically shifted manual transmission you mentioned.

We are looking forward to taking it on its maiden voyage this weekend. Overall we are very pleased. It is nimble on the road and compact in parking lots and tight quarters. We were unpleasantly surprised by a couple of inconsequential workmanship shortcuts in the furniture, but the issues aren't serious. We are excited to get out on the road.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
That transmission has "Park."

It works the same on the Travato as it does on all other front drive FCA cars using that drivetrain: Town and Country, Grand Caravan, new Pacifica, last year of the original Pacifica line, Dodge Journey among others. Once put in "Park" it is supposed to stay in "Park." I think the "jumping out of gear" problems at Chrysler were related to the "sport shift" controller being confusing, not because that was how it is supposed to function.

The diesel Ram Promaster has an automatically shifted manual transmission called "Dual Active Drive." This may not have a "Park" so that you generally rely on the parking brake. If it were fully manual, I would leave it in first or reverse but still set the brake, a long habit driving manual transmissions. The way it is automated, yes I can see them parking it in neutral so the engine can be started.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Ralphie76 wrote:
I am considering purchase of a 2015 Winnebago Travato 59G. The chassis is a Ram Promaster 3.6L, 280hp V6 gas engine and 6 speed 62TE transmission. Has anyone had problems with it rolling when the parking break is set and the engine off? Is it true that it automatically goes into neutral when the parking break is set? Sounds like a potential problem. Any advice/experience welcome.

I have never noticed that.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Ralphie76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your comments and help. We have decided to go with the 59G. We'll report anything worth sharing!

teasypee
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 chassis (2016 59G Winnebago build) and that engine/transmission combo is amazing. It has plenty of power and great fuel mileage.

I think you may be getting confused with the Diesel model. It has a different transmission. I have not driven one, but I think it acts more like a "manual" transmission, thus the reports of rolling without the parking brake.

I would recommend the 59G, I have thoroughly enjoyed mine in the last year and a half.

Good Luck

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check on the ProMaster forums, they will have a lot more info about transmission issues.

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer your transmission question but I would suggest that you spend some time sitting in the Promaster driver's seat. Those front seats are terrible for me and my wife. Everyone is different though.