cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pancake in a Can

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone still make/sell the pancake batter in a can anymore. Neither of our two markets sell it and I have not seen it in a few years. It was handy for two of us and we only eat pancakes maybe once a month?
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"
31 REPLIES 31

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Spirit Deer wrote:

Jelly or jam make a good syrup if you add just a little water to get the right consistency. If you have a microwave you can heat the mixture in there, or in a small pan over low heat, watching it carefully so it doesn't scorch. It saves having to keep a jug of syrup in a fridge with limited space. Honey is good on pancakes, too, or just slather on the jam or jelly, which would also work on cold pancakes.

If I eat pancakes at McD's, I just get a couple of extras and keep them in our camper for about a month. They keep fine without refrigeration and you just throw away the remains.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Spirit_Deer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm late to the game but I'll post anyway.

I don't see why mixing the pancakes in a Ziploc wouldn't work, but use the freezer bags instead of the storage bags because they're heavier. I might have to try that myself.

Also, if you have any space in the cooler or fridge to stash the leftover pancakes, just make them all at once and then eat the leftovers the next day. If you have a toaster, pancakes reheat well in a toaster, or you could reheat in a frying pan on the stove. Or if you don't mind eating them cold, that would work, too.

Jelly or jam make a good syrup if you add just a little water to get the right consistency. If you have a microwave you can heat the mixture in there, or in a small pan over low heat, watching it carefully so it doesn't scorch. It saves having to keep a jug of syrup in a fridge with limited space. Honey is good on pancakes, too, or just slather on the jam or jelly, which would also work on cold pancakes.
Spirit Deer
One husband
Two huskies
Three kitties
1983 Itasca Sunflyer moho (Arvie) (big toy)
2005 Chevy Astro
2005 Palomino Mustang (Sally) (slightly smaller toy)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of wasting the Shake & Pour, make them all. Let extras cool and then freeze in ziplock bags. Heat in microwave 45 sec - flip and heat another 45 sec. Still taste great even reheated.

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
Some are missing the point, basically, I am LAZY, do not like to wash dishes AND, have very little storage in the small HI-LO. Small fridge, little crackerbox freezer. I would only make pancakes once while out camping, I am a bacon & egg guy.

I am looking for something disposable and take up little space in the cabinet. I will keep looking for a solution.....

I got your point. We're bacon/egg people too, pancakes less frequently. I'm choosing to be efficient and lazy this season. Husband's request. I tend to overcook and create piles of dishes. I'll admit it, I spend too much time in the kitchen.

Everything possible will go in a baggie this season. I'll pre-measure pancake mix and then write the water amount on the baggie. Same goes for pasta salad sauce. Everything pre-mixed and then labeled to be combined with pre-cooked pasta later. Meat marinates & rubs, omelettes, chopped veggies, etc. will be prepped at home. No more refrigerating bottles of things we just don't have room for.

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of the shake and pour bottles. Before opening, I took a marker and marked the level of the mix inside the bottle. I then added the amount of water and marked that on the bottle. After using, I refilled with mix from home and put in the camper. I then add water to the line and shake. Perfect and only think to wash is the bottle and the cooking pan.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Elizabeth24 wrote:
What I do is line a wide mouth squeeze container with a plastic bag and then it s easy to pour batter and you just have to throw out the bag . No mess.

As for pancakes, I put Almond flavour and nuts on my pancakes and use whole wheat pancake mix. Really good!

Started writing my post hours back, left the tab open and thus missed your addition of an interior plastic bag - absolutely brilliant!:c

Like the OP I eat pancakes infrequently but yessss.....wholewheat or buckwheat is especially delish. Which is not to disrespect oatmeal cakes which I find a fine way to use up those packets of instant oatmeal that keep cropping up in my house courtesy of my frmr DIL. She and I seem to be using steel cut and instant oatmeal as surrogates for the state of our relationship.Much better than really telling each other what we think of the other (insert angel emoticon here) :D.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for living in a "lazy lima bean" mode yet still shudder at the thought of throwing food and money away; my ancestors would be proud so me;).

OK, RedCatcher.....how about buying a powdered pancake mix that you only need to add water and place in empty disposable water bottle?

When you want to eat pancakes add the water, "shake + pour". Without knowing how many pancakes constitutes a serving for you, I'd say a 16 -25 fl oz bottle would do fine for 2 people giving you enough head space to shake with ease. You'll do best with a wide mouth bottle.

HTH

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
What I do is line a wide mouth squeeze container with a plastic bag and then it s easy to pour batter and you just have to throw out the bag . No mess.

As for pancakes, I put Almond flavour and nuts on my pancakes and use whole wheat pancake mix. Really good!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Biquick shake & pour for the two of us. Only a $1.79 at target. Bottle claims to make 12-15 pancakes, in reality makes maybe 8 normal size pancakes. Four pancakes each for the two of us...very doable.

Even if you only ate two pancakes a piece....wasted half a bottle, you would be throwing away 50 cents. Worth it to me to have a spill proof, no fuss, mix/pour container that we can throw into any storage compartment in the TT. REQUIRES NOTHING TO CLEAN

I could not imagine trying to mix in a bag---I am thinking lumpy pancakes. Most other options would require washing one container----there is a reusable/WASHABLE blender in a bottle that can be used for multiple mixing.

If throwing away that 50c is troublesome, find a hungry neighbor.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
World Market

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Fry up a batch at home. Freeze what you don't eat in a ziploc bag that contains however many you plan to eat at a time. Take out of the freezer the night before. Heat and eat the next morning. No muss, no fuss, very little cleanup. It is what the wife does at home. If you have a microwave it is all that much simpler. You can do the same with waffles. Our grandsons call pancakes "flat waffles".
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
Some are missing the point, basically, I am LAZY, do not like to wash dishes AND, have very little storage in the small HI-LO. Small fridge, little crackerbox freezer. I would only make pancakes once while out camping, I am a bacon & egg guy.

I am looking for something disposable and take up little space in the cabinet. I will keep looking for a solution.....

In that case, put some complete mix in a baggie, enough to make 3-4 or however many you will eat. When you are camp, add the recommended amount of water (or just add until it looks like the right consistency and shake, mix the stuff in the baggie. Cut a small hole in one of the corners to pour it out, then put into a skillet and you have pancakes.

Other than having someone deliver them to you, this is probably the quickest, easiest method. If you fix them, you are going to have to fry them.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
I would only make pancakes once while out camping, .
That explains why you can't save whatever you don't use for the next day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"