cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SCD receptacle replacement

Abqtiger
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2007 Country Coach. 2 of the face plates on SCD receptacles are cracked. I found potential replacements on the Hubbell Wirecon site. They recommend an expensive installation tool that presses the wires into place. Any advice on disconnecting the existing one or installing replacements?
9 REPLIES 9

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
Everything you need to know to install/deinstall.

http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/literature/InstallationGuide.pdf
KLIK HERE
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you need to know to install/deinstall.

http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/literature/InstallationGuide.pdf
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that they are held in by rotating dogs (or ears) that will unscrew and be lost in the wall. Just unscrew, feeling for the dog to move in to the body of the device, then pull out.

It is possible to install these with large pump pliers, padded, though it is a pain.

The wires (non-metalic, aka romex) are stripped of the outer insulation, the inner insulation is cut by pressing it in to the device.
-- Chris Bryant

Abqtiger
Explorer
Explorer
The units appear one piece so that we cannot merely replace the face plate. They are cracked on the periphery so replacement is cosmetic. I don't understand how that happened. I will pull one out this weekend to see type of connections. If slots I hope I can press in w/ a screwdriver and avoid buying the tool. Thank you all for input.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Are the wires pushed into a hole or are they pushed into a slot?

If thy are pushed into a hole, there is a slot where you can use a small screwdriver to push in and release the wire.

If a slot, cut the wire and reterminate

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
A self contained device, either switch or receptacle. There is a good explanation on them on the internet. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is SCD?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Abqtiger wrote:
We recently purchased a 2007 Country Coach. 2 of the face plates on SCD receptacles are cracked. I found potential replacements on the Hubbell Wirecon site. They recommend an expensive installation tool that presses the wires into place. Any advice on disconnecting the existing one or installing replacements?

How bad are the plugs cracked? Does it extend into the plug itself or cover plate alone? Any chance that the plates are cross compatible with plates from Home Depot?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Many of the big box hardware stores carry ones that do not require the press. Some receptacle locations are deep enough to install box and standard receptacles.

Amazon
RV Designer

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker