cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling blocks slip

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
When we level up with our plastic blocks, especially on a paved blacktop surface with a little small gravel, they frequently slip and it may take several tries to drive up on them. I have been thinking about getting a rubber pad of some kind to put under the blocks that would grip the pavement and not allow the blocks to move. Has anyone tried something like this?
22 REPLIES 22

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
I use 2"by6", one foot long wood. Cheap, works, and if you leave them behind as I did one rainy day in New Hampshire, no loss.

redwingfans
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
Try disconnecting the 7 way connector to the trailer.

I use wood planks that are cut at an angle along the end for the wheels to drive up on.

We have done the same, total of 4 2 x 12s cut to various lengths.
They can also be used for getting out of lose beach sand.
Mark and Linda
2013 Pleasure Way Excel

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a roll of rubber mesh shelf paper at Walmart for less than $2. I think it will do the trick. It only seems to a problem on paved surfaces with fine loose gravel.

Lots of good feedback on this post. It is a common issue for Class B's and similar that drive up on "lego" leveling blocks.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I'll try to attach some pics of my wood blocks with 45 degree beveled edges and the non slip nylon strip to drive on first. That nylon is actually left over vinyl baseboard trim.

gdoug83
Explorer
Explorer
Take a couple feet of rope and attach to side of block (drill hole, tie knot). Extend rope in direction of vehicle. As you drive towards blocks, your tires will be on top of the rope and will prevent the blocks from sliding away.

Great solution. Thanks.
Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
RespondingBack wrote:
Quickly skimmed this thread so don't know if I'm repeating this advice. I read this in some RV forum or magazine.

Take a couple feet of rope and attach to side of block (drill hole, tie knot). Extend rope in direction of vehicle. As you drive towards blocks, your tires will be on top of the rope and will prevent the blocks from sliding away.

That is a remarkably logical solution!

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
Quickly skimmed this thread so don't know if I'm repeating this advice. I read this in some RV forum or magazine.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I use wood 2x4's with 45 degree beveled ends. On one end I screwed in a 12" piece of 4" wide vinyl I had (left over from being used to cover as a baseboard). Driving onto the vinyl holds the board in place for the drive up onto it. not sure if they could be attached to your plastic or not.

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
reppans, Excellent! You are spot on.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

reppans
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar sliding problems with my lego blocks, but pretty much on front wheels only - the rear drive wheels have some ability 'climb' the blocks. I found that placing the blocks BEHIND the front wheels and REVERSING up on to them mostly solved my problem (I can't remember them sliding since).

There's something about the physics of where the CoG is in relation to the wheel's angle of attack. For example, if you PULL a two-wheeled carry-on behind you, the luggage will easily roll over all sorts of small edges and door jambs, but if you PUSH it in front of you, the same edges and door jambs will stop you cold. I think the same thing is happening using these lego leveling blocks.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
To prevent slipping of plastic levelling blocks on paved surface, I've used an old throw rug; same one I use to get down on my knees to look under the RV when necessary.

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
For my plastic leveling blocks slipping I just use the cheap non slip shelf and drawer liner most of us use to keep stuff from sliding around in out rigs. It works fine for me, weighs nothing and only costs a few bucks for a small roll.

Paul

Another good idea. Has anyone used the Andersen levelers? They also look pretty slick.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
What kind of leveling blocks are you using? The "lego" type? Are they extra tall?

I use wood planks that are cut at an angle along the end for the wheels to drive up on.

I used to use wood planks cut as you describe and then got two of these and have used them quite successfully for years since. They are lighter, stack tightly reversed to each other and work great. And unless the surface is concrete, a tent stake driven into the surface below them stops slipping, though it is rarely required.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
PSW wrote:
For my plastic leveling blocks slipping I just use the cheap non slip shelf and drawer liner most of us use to keep stuff from sliding around in out rigs. It works fine for me, weighs nothing and only costs a few bucks for a small roll.

Paul

Looks even simpler than the rubber mat, I will try it. Yes, I am using "Lego" blocks, standard size and driving a van up on them. Usually not a problem but they do slip on certain surfaces.