cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great camera on new Ford trucks

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our 2017 Ford F250 XL last week. We ordered it with the CHMSL camera - mounted in the middle of the stop lamp on the back of the cab and especially for use in watching the bed when hooking up a fifth wheel. Used it today to back up to the camper. It has a centerline that you can line up with a center mark on the camper. You still have to make sure you're straight with the camper. But overall it's a real help.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options
16 REPLIES 16

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Tried that. Surprised not to see the old one to edit. Let's see if it worked. It did.
Thanks
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, to change your signature, go to "My Forums," and select "My Preferences," and you'll see the text box. I just had to change mine.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law added one to our truck for $150. Awesome.

How do you change your signature?

Got rid of the pickup and camper years ago.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Try over at the Super Duty forums. They have some software called Forscan that can do a lot of things.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
First bummer I noticed today.
You can't turn the camera on for load monitoring while driving as it is "disabled while vehicle is in motion"
Any electronic wizard knows how to bypass the switch?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:

I hope it takes pictures while it's there. 🙂

You'll be able to observe the truck on Google Earth. 😉
If you are not too lazy to push few buttons.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
As to driving the truck itself, my experience is that Ford is about 10 years behind in technology.
So far my 2017 has line crossing warning.
Pretty annoying as it vibrate steering wheel like driving over center pegs.
To top it- that thing vibrate on merging lanes.

How far off until the truck backs under the camper by itself. Then self-drives to a campground, stays there for a long weekend then returns home. All the while you can stay at home on the couch. :B

I hope it takes pictures while it's there. 🙂
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
As to driving the truck itself, my experience is that Ford is about 10 years behind in technology.
So far my 2017 has line crossing warning.
Pretty annoying as it vibrate steering wheel like driving over center pegs.
To top it- that thing vibrate on merging lanes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A flyfisherman, I would say there isn't enough of a market.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
My old 2011 F350 only came with an optional camera in the tailgate, which I can't even use now with the tailgate removed. I wish they would have also offered the camera on top of the cab back then. However, my son has made me a portable/removable camera system that I'll be able to put either over the cab, or perhaps looking out the rear window of the cab, so I'll see how that works.

So, what's coming next with Ford, and the other automakers? I remember many years ago when I worked at Ford that they were already involved in developing artificial intelligence, and thinking it sounded pretty far out. But, now we have cars that will drive themselves, and we don't give it so much as a second thought. Perhaps we'll soon see trucks that will automatically back under a truck camper all by themselves, just as we now have cars that will park themselves. Automakers, are you listening?
a_flyfisher

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
scout4trout wrote:
In addition to the camera on the top of the cab, we have a regular backup camera but it's in the tailgate so isn't any help when you have to take the tailgate off to load the camper. The camera option was only a $200 option which was probably the best deal on the new truck -- gave us two back-up cameras and a larger screen in the dash, not bad.

That is my other tough. Instead of paying $3x0 for Ford trailer camera, while leave the tailgate at home, I am thinking about removing the whole tailgate panel and transplanting it on top of the camper.
The camera has only 2 wires to extend, but my tailgate also has like 6-9 prongs plug, where some goes to light, but I am still working what other wires do.
The cargo camera alone is $200.
I spend $2000 on trailer tow package, that comes with 5 cameras, program that estimates the trailer trajectory and some more bells that I had no time to discover yet.
First time I saw "satellite view" of my truck with all the curbs in blind spots and legs of people walking around the truck - my jaw drop and I am still looking for it.
Having hood at 5-foot level and still being able to bring it within 1" to concrete wall make whole new laws of physics.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered the CHMSL camera on our '14 Ram. Makes hooking the 5er a breeze.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the camera on the top of the cab, we have a regular backup camera but it's in the tailgate so isn't any help when you have to take the tailgate off to load the camper. The camera option was only a $200 option which was probably the best deal on the new truck -- gave us two back-up cameras and a larger screen in the dash, not bad.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Even I pick up my new truck a month ago, it wasn't till yesterday when I used it for hooking up the trailer.
The simulated trajectory was off and in last moment I did not have enough turning radius to correct the offset, but still seeing the tonque and all the curbs around the truck is great help.
The $ 2000 option can pay back by avoiding single accident.
Now I am looking for video wizard who could use the front camera for recording the traffic? ANYBODY ??????