cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV - extra bedroom receiver in motorhome

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering switching my home service to Direct TV so I can use one of the extra bedroom receivers in my motorhome. This use to work perfectly fine with the older receivers, but can we still do this with the newer receivers supplied by Direct for those with newer service?
Mark
12 REPLIES 12

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Direct since 2000 and now have a traveler DTV dish wired to the front tv only for HDTV and take the DVR from the house to the RV. I didn't run a wire from the splitter to the bedroom so no DTV there. I use only the antennae or campground cable in the bedroom. Most campground cable is Standard definition. That seems to be adequate since we only sleep there most of the time and watch our front TV the majority of the time. I converted both analog TV's to Vizio 32 " flat screen smart TV's.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The Genie is great however the wireless is not quite that simple. You will need a bridge to transmit the signal and it requires about six feet or more from the base unit. Still a great option as you can place a tv anywhere within range with only AC plug in required.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mc.cc
If your head is spinning you can drop me a PM and I will help you with some clarifications.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been DirecTV customers for years; we do not use the Genie system. We keep two receivers in the RV - They're only about $10 per month each. And, yes, they're HD.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Or just go to Solid Signal or Weak Knees and buy a stand-alone receiver and leave the genie at home to do it's background recording. The additional receiver is/was $10
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
For home you will likely get a Genie either an HR44 or HR54 and wireless mini Genie for each TV after the first one. Simple solution is to not worry about it, rewire your RV to accommodate the Genie. This means possibly a new dish capable of receiving HD using SWM technology and making sure you have a good coax from outside to the back of the receiver. Along with the setup you get a power sully and splitter. From the splitter you run one signal to the back of the Genie and a second signal to the video bridge. The video bridge send a wireless signal to the mini Genie, so all you need there is a HDMI cable from the mini to the back of the TV and a 120VAC output. IF your roof top dish is not capable of getting Direct HD, you have a couple of choices. replace it with a Winegard Travler or buy from one of the on line resellers a complete package for around 200 dollars.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
First question is do you want HD or not?

If you do, I recommend DISH over Directv. I did Directv HD for years with a big tripod and a Slimline three LNB dish and set it up manually.

I started looking at carryout auto align dome dishes and discovered that none of them get Directv HD, SD only.

But they support DISH HD.

So I switched and bought a Winegard Pathway X 2 carryout and a 211Z sat box. It is RV friendly. You connect it, turn it on and there is a menu that knows you are using a portable dish and which arc do you want and you click and it does the rest.

DISH has two sets of sats; one for the east coast and one for the west with a lot of overlap in between.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have direct TV and take one of the receivers with us in MH. It works good for us. We do not have HD, we have SD.
We have two DVRs in house along with some standard receivers.
We do not care if we do not get our home local channels. On the road we use the antenna for local channels in the vicinity.
We use an automatic Winegard Carry out dish.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option is to get a good buffer and unlimited 3g/4g if you are just interested in movies/tv shows (sports/news broadcasts limited, but not web news).
You can get a ton of stuff off the internet. It won't work if you are interested in just watching TV for hours on end though. But if it must be DTV, go with what Ivylog said.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Direct will want to install a Geni system if you want more than one receiver which is a master receiver and slave receivers system... a slave will not work without the master. I would tell Direct you are used to using a TiVo DVR and do they have sat/DVR that uses the TiVo format? They do and it's a THR22-100 TiVo receiver/DVR. At home I use it for HD but only SD in the MH... have to change the dish size/type in the sat setup. This will let you use a small 18" round dish on a tripod or a $400 auto portable dish that receives Direct sat 101. I like this receiver over the H 24s.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You cannot do this with the Genie/Client setup. If you have a Genie you can have them install an H24 or HR24 if you want to take a DVR instead of a client in the bedroom. These will work in your RV just fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the new receivers are designed for high definition so you will need to have a sat dish on your coach that supports that....like the Traveler HD for Direct or RF Mogul for Direct.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA