cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying a small popup

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
can any one suggest good makes and models ?

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
6 REPLIES 6

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
More on the Newport: CUV crowd and not the 1500 pound capacity car nuts that think they can drink the koolaid.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
That Somerset Newport doesn't look so much fun. What type of fun are you looking for? I have a 12ft with slideout. No bath model, allows for more cabinets and not peeing or pooping next to your kitchen table. So easy to pop up an outhouse and use a thetford curve or campa pottie cassette unit Shower well if its only a weekend stink away. Week long at established area: campground showers. Boondock: Outdoor shower in the pottie outhouse.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

donmacnh
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
There doesn't seem to be much action here on this forum....

Very true. If you have not found it already, google "popup portal"
2016 Aliner Ranger 15
2015 Tundra Ltd

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Somerset Newport 11 ft box, sleep 6, 1150 lbs.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
For "small" I've always thought in terms of 8-foot or 10-foot box, and even alone I find the 8-footer kind of small.

I think we might be down to two manufacturers.

Thor's Jayco, for 2017 offering the Jaysport (essentially the same as base level JaySeries Sport of previous years). There used to be equivalent models from Jayco-owned Starcraft brand, but not this year.

Forest River's twinned Rockwood/Flagstaff lines, and the Clipper/Viking twins from Forest River's Coachmen brand, which now look a lot like the Rockwood/Flagstaff lineup.

Every time I've shopped I've been partial to the JaySeries Sport because the dealer selling them was one of the best in the area. I liked the 10SD in the JaySeries Sport, looks like the same model number in the JaySport is an upgrade in standard and optional features at about 1/3 higher price.

Equivalent floorplan at F-R is Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD or Flagstaff MAC 206LTD. Last time I was comparing them (2013) the Flagstaff/Rockwood appeared to be built on a much lighter frame than the JaySeries Sport.

Forest River currently has the largest selection, you need to figure out what layout meets your needs, may not be the same as those of an old guy alone.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
There doesn't seem to be much action here on this forum.

We just bought a 2003 Coleman and are looking forward to trying it out

jack L
Jack & Nanci