cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a full profile fifth?

Masscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to take the jump to a 5th wheel. Anyone have any issues towing a full profile 13'-0" rig? I understand there will be a few more backroad overpasses to watch for. My main concern is low wires, tree limbs etc.
David and Julie
2015 CrossRoads Cruiser Aire 28SE
2011 GMC Sierra Duramax
54 REPLIES 54

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Call the city, they have to maintain 14' min clearance. I live in the country and called the county and they trimmed the trees....
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, the neighborhood would be in immediate problem. I'm 12'4" and have to cut lots of trees to keep the clearance. Another foot would be a lot more cutting on about 15 trees. My favorite campground is not height friendly so full profiles have a harder time.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^Excellent advice. Truck GPS's are not the best for RV's. We had one of the first truck/RV GPS's and the RV route was simply using the truck routes. What a pain!! Try routing through and around Yellowstone with a truck based GPS.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpbuch9309 wrote:
Buy a GPS that the Truckers use it only map you on truck safe routes

Good advice, but I'd suggest an RV GPS over a trucker's as the trucker's version limits you to established truck routes in cities and towns, while the RV version would route you on any roads or streets that are safe for the height and length you enter into the device. We started out with a trucker's version and it frequently sent us way out of our way. We swapped over to a Garmin RV 760 and it works a whole lot better for us. While we are happy with our Garmin, I believe other RV GPS devices will do the same. Rand McNally comes to mind in this regard.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a GPS that the Truckers use it only map you on truck safe routes

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I fulltime and my rig is 13'4" so I want a little redundancy - just because I can. I have the Rand McNally GPS and it lets me program height, width, etc data into it. I also have the Allstays Low Clearance App on my phone. This app is very good IMHO. I can zoom in or out and it will populate all the low clearances within view.

But by far my favorite 'Help' is my Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas. All roads which are Yellow in the state by state maps are safe for trucks of legal height (13'6" I think) so I just stay on those roads. It also contains a state by state listing of all the Low clearances. Texas wins !

The Atlas comes in 2 versions - paper pages and plastic covered pages. I got the plastic version partly because it will last much longer and partly because I like to map out my route with a dry erase marker. I got mine at Loves I think. It was actually cheaper there then thru Amazon.

When planning my route in the evening, I just open the Atlas and make sure I'm good.

I don't refuel while towing (40 gallon aux tank in the bed) so can't comment about that possible clearance hazard.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stefonius wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
What I want to know is: Why the heck are all RV doors only 72" tall? I'm 77" tall, and I can't count the times I've whacked my face against the wall above the door.

Interesting, my door OPENING is 77". Looks like your Full profile is not so full. ๐Ÿ˜‰
You have a 77" door? Dang it... now I have "trailer envy". Must be time to talk DW into a trade-in.

I remember walking out of a SunnyBrook we were looking at and whacked my head and bout fell down the steps, must have been a 6' door!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
What do you get with a full profile 5er? You get that much more cubic capacity to heat or cool. You get a bunch of cupboards way up high where you cannot reach them without moving a tall step stool around.

Looked at a few of the full profiles a couple years ago. What were the designers thinking?
What did I get with a full profile 5er? I got a unit where I never have to hit my head indoors (I'm 6'5"). That's pretty important to my wife, as she claims that I'm not rich or good-looking enough to get away with being stupid. Apparently, concussions cause cumulative damage.

What I want to know is: Why the heck are all RV doors only 72" tall? I'm 77" tall, and I can't count the times I've whacked my face against the wall above the door.

Exact same comments and reason here - - 6'4" and wife said I was starting to look funny.. I hope she was talking about the way I looked AT her, not the way she looked at me. LOL..
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:

Interesting, my door OPENING is 77". Looks like your Full profile is not so full. ๐Ÿ˜‰
You have a 77" door? Dang it... now I have "trailer envy". Must be time to talk DW into a trade-in.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stefonius wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
What do you get with a full profile 5er? You get that much more cubic capacity to heat or cool. You get a bunch of cupboards way up high where you cannot reach them without moving a tall step stool around.

Looked at a few of the full profiles a couple years ago. What were the designers thinking?
What did I get with a full profile 5er? I got a unit where I never have to hit my head indoors (I'm 6'5"). That's pretty important to my wife, as she claims that I'm not rich or good-looking enough to get away with being stupid. Apparently, concussions cause cumulative damage.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
djgodden wrote:
Any recommendation for a trucker route app which includes clearance data?

If you have the Uconnect Radio package from Mopar, you should have gotten The navigation system and they have a Low Clearance up date.
The Navigation System in my 2016 does.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Thinking of people who wanted more of a home and less of a trailer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a website that has lists of low clearances that can be loaded onto a GPS: LowClearances. It costs a few bucks, but it's a handy list.

I got it and consider it money fairly well spent. I only bought the one-time download, not the lifetime jobby.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"