cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help jacking up an older Tioga

rolypolyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all... I have an older RV, a 1982 Ford Tioga, which looks almost identical to the image shown below.

Where is the jacking point on this RV, especially in the rear? I figure this must be in a service manual somewhere, but I have no idea where to even find one for something that old. I'm pretty certain that it shouldn't be jacked up on the axle.

Suggestions appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Any time you jack up an axle, make sure you chock the opposite wheel good both front and back
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rear axle at the spring mount. This works for pretty much any medium duty or heavy duty truck. If you want to lift the weight off the springs, you would lift the chassis frame rail, preferably close to a spring mount.

Front swing arms, on my 2003 chassis there is a round boss on arm near the wheel, but there is a specific jack (we don't get with a motorhome) that cradles the boss. For a bottle jack with a flat top I would lift the bottom surface of the arm close to the location of the boss. Yours is the previous generation, but I think the front suspension was essentially unchanged.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same coach, too except full corner rear bed instead of bunks. So yeah, ditto above. On the original chassis frame or the axle under the spring perch.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
At one time I owned the same coach on a Chevy chassis. Rear axle only with a floor or bottle jack. Definitely not on anything that Fleetwood added.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Typically it's the rear axle, at the spring/shock mount area. In the front, at least on the '98 E series, there are a couple of studs on the lower suspension I beams near the wheels that are for jacking. I usually use the beam itself with my bottle jack because the jack head is more secure on the flat beam than on the round stud (which is really intended for the saddle style of jack head that the Ford jack would have had if it came with one).

The full weight on that side of the axle is always there on the spring mount, so the axle is obviously strong enough at that location to take force. If it were not, it would have failed long ago.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Axle & vehicle FRAME only. NOT house frame.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at the axle either front or rear depending.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
With a bottle jack, most likely right under the rear axel or spring area. By the way, nice looking class C!