cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Rented Forester 2016 3171ds for two week - Any advice?

growandmake
Explorer
Explorer
I have just rented a Forester 2016 3171ds for a two week trip from Portland Oregon to the four corners area and then west and back to Oregon. I've never driven anything like this, but am excited to head out with my family and dogs.

Any advice or tips on this make/model and setting out for the first time, would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
All very good tips.
I would reinforce 2 of them, Watch the tail swing on tight maneuvers, it would totally ruin your vacation to leave the last 3 feet of the MH on the concrete gas pump protector. On a slow tight 90 degree turn, the back corner (especially at 31') could swing out almost 3 feet from the straight line.
Tow haul mode of transmission, button at end of gear shift lever. I use it all the time, find it as useful for maintaining speed on down grades as for preventing unnecessary shifts on hills. I set the cruise control at a speed and it will maintain that speed on most down grades without use of brakes

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

kennyzzz
Explorer
Explorer
never backup unless you have too, ie bad thanks can happen when backing up . buy walkie talkies , it will take stress out of backing up if you talk to your helper...
just trying to help,
I've see too many people screaming from the back of the camper/campsite. the driver can't hear very good inside the rv..
Chevy 2008 1500 X-cab 5.3 373 posi 4x4 z-71
2003 jayco quest 190 4059 lbs.
2004 Northern light 8.5

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
growandmake wrote:
Thanks so much for all the great feedback and tips. I won't forget my meds... 😆

One thing I'm not sure I understand is this "rental outfits never explain/advise on the use of TH. With TH engaged long down hills will be a piece cake with little or no use of the brakes required and you won't burn a drop of fuel. You will also get better shift points especially when climbing."

We will not be towing a vehicle. Is this still relevant?

Yes. From the model number of the rental unit you provided, it appears that the rig is 31 feet long with dual slides. That means you will be very heavy, even sans occupants and stuff. The TH mode is very useful on steep grades, by providing engine braking on down hills, and a bit more power on up hills. You do not want to overheat your brakes going down hill and possibly losing braking/stopping power. TH minimizes this issue. You can turn it off while on relatively level stretches of the road.

BTW, scope out your fueling stops carefully. Allow plenty of room, and as noted by others, be really careful with rear-end swing. It will be significant in a 31 foot RV.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest surprize we had when e had our Class C was how far the rear swings out when turning. WE took the back bumper off getting out of a tight State park road turn.

growandmake
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the great feedback and tips. I won't forget my meds... 😆

One thing I'm not sure I understand is this "rental outfits never explain/advise on the use of TH. With TH engaged long down hills will be a piece cake with little or no use of the brakes required and you won't burn a drop of fuel. You will also get better shift points especially when climbing."

We will not be towing a vehicle. Is this still relevant?

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
When backing into a camp site, get out and look around for obstacles in back and on both sides, and overhead tree branches. Learn proper sequence for starting the generator, waiting a few minutes before turning on roof AC, shutting off AC and waiting 10 minutes or so before re-starting the roof AC. Find the emergency start button for generator and truck engine. The house battery may run down overnight running the furnace blower. House battery , if fully charged, may last 3 nights without use of furnace blower just operating interior lights and alarms, etc. Slow down and pull over to let cars pass using pull-outs, only when it is safe to do so. Don't let car and truck drivers pressure you into going into turns too fast, especially on grades. Use second gear for downgrades to save brakes, don't "ride the brakes", use second gear on steep upgrades. Don't forget prescription meds and personal items, tools, cell phone and camera chargers, and other "essentials". Best to make a check list and use it.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. See if you can find an owner's manual for this particular rig and read it. You might be able to borrow one from the rental place and photocopy it, and take the copy with you. Since you have indicated that you have "never driven anything like this before", have you done any RVing? If not, there is much to learn, that can't be put in a couple of posts. You may need to search the forums for beginning RVing.

A couple of quick things. The RV is usually much wider than a car, so you will need to work a bit harder to keep it fully in your lane. So, as someone told me when I started out, "hug the yellow line" until you become familiar and comfortable driving the rig. The rig is also taller and heavier than a car. Make sure you keep the rig within the Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity of the unit, and make sure (beforehand if possible) that your chosen route will keep you away from low bridges. Memorize your height, width, and weight limitations before heading down the road.

Examine the tires of the rental unit at pick up and make sure there are no cracks in the side walls of the tires. Frequently check the tire pressure on all tires and make sure the pressure is proper for the load you are carrying. Blowouts are not a pretty thing in RVs.

Make sure the rental company goes over how to dump in the rig. Remember, black before gray. Take some gloves that you can use and not worry about getting some sewage on them. Consider disposable gloves.

Find out where the electrical panel is, know how to reset any breakers, and take a few spare fuses. Learn how to charge the house batteries. Learn how to operate the generator (if any).

Learn where the propane tank is and the main shut off valve are located. Know what appliances use propane. Learn proper propane filling procedures for the unit.

Check the batteries in all alarms in the rental.

I hope this helps a bit, and hope you enjoy the 4 corners area as much as we did. Have Fun!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spend some serious time reading the owners manual and use the tow haul mode all of the time. That is a large heavy Class C and the rental outfits never explain/advise on the use of TH. With TH engaged long down hills will be a piece cake with little or no use of the brakes required and you won't burn a drop of fuel. You will also get better shift points especially when climbing.

:C

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to take the less of mountains if you can. 🙂 Big grades with inexperienced drivers to larger rigs can really cause white knuckles. Better get going though!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Post your clearance on the visor above the steering wheel.

As noted above, watch your side mirrors constantly and know what's around you.

Right lane and modest speed is your friend.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Always be aware of the height of the 'cab over' area. Watch the tail swing and remember the house is wider than the cab.

Start looking for gas stops when you get to 1/2 tank. Find one that is easy in/out.

Enjoy your trip.

tobydad
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know anything specific to this brand. However, in general when driving a large class C, keep these things in mind. Right hand turns require a little wider turn, not much. Keep looking in passenger side mirror to make sure the rear end clears the corner. While driving on the road watch the side mirrors for cars passing you, especially on the right. Those mirrors also will help in keeping you in the lane if you can see the lines in the road. When making turns be mindful that the rear end swings wider than a car. In a left turn the rear end will swing right and vice versa. Practice, if possible, in a large parking lot with no one beside you. Good luck you will get the hang of it very quickly.