cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alberta Route Question for my Canadian Friends

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
We will be entering Canada from Shelby, MT, catching Highway 2 at Fort Macleod. Just south of Calgary, route 2A splits off from Highway 2. I want to go around the city, I was thinking of taking 2A to 22X west to 22N to Cochrane, then 22N up to Mayerthrope.

Will I have a problems with this route? We will be coming back down the Ice Fields on our return trip so we will see that then.

Thanks!
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
22 REPLIES 22

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, EK Roamer, that's exactly the information I needed. Looks like I can't go wrong using either road. Good news!

EK_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Was just considering 533 and 540. Seems like 533 is a good choice, even though 540 looks a bit more direct on the map. Unless I hear from someone with experience on 540, I'll count on 533 for sure.

I have used both 533 and 540 pulling our trailer. 540 has less elevation gain but both are good paved roads.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the helpful information and the suggestions. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit, but I made reservations at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court weeks ago to be sure I had a place to park our RV. We hope to do a good bit of daily driving without the RV, but will make that our base for this visit.

We already have our passports and our entry passes to Canadian National Parks, so you can see how long in advance we made these plans. It is a drive of many days and many miles for us and we don't like to be gone from home for much more than a month.

We are looking forward to the trip and the visit to Alberta--if we can just hold together until July.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I second pianotuna on Banff. Personally my wife and I preferred going to Waterton National Park over Banff any day. Cameron Lake in Waterton rivals Lake Louise and there are far less people. There is a campground in the townsite and a few outside the gates. It can get very, very windy and you don't see too many awnings in the out position. Last summer was our last time going out west, pulling the 5er. Our two kids will have to come to us now. Have a great trip no matter where you go.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi padredw,

Be aware that Banff is a tourist trap. I prefer Lake Louise.

The National Park pass is free this year to honor Canada's 150 birthday.

Since this may be a "last hurrah" I would suggest considering adding Jasper to your travels. It's not a lot farther--and it is far less "trappy" than Banff.

The Columbia Ice Fields highway is good, and scenic.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you both for these very helpful responses. I had determined that 520 had gravel on the west end, so had eliminated that. Was just considering 533 and 540. Seems like 533 is a good choice, even though 540 looks a bit more direct on the map. Unless I hear from someone with experience on 540, I'll count on 533 for sure.

I have a full day to get from Claresholm to Banff and I am just looking for a scenic route, but also want to avoid any problem areas. I plan to come around by Calgary on my return trip.

As you can see I'm making plans long in advance. I enjoy doing that. We have been making trips in fifth-wheel trailers for 20 years, but this may be one of our last long trips as I will be 85 in October. Our only other RV trip into Canada was to Ontario, near Niagara Falls where we met RV friends who live in Ontario.

Banff will be our destination on this trip. I've always wanted to visit there, but we have no desire to go on to Alaska.

Thanks for your help.

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
We often drive from southern B. C. to Calgary and use 533 both ways. It is a good highway. Coming from the south on 2 toward Calgary, the turn west is on the south end of Nanton. Where it joins 22 there is a good provincial campsite on Chain Lakes , probably busy in summer, especially on weekends. Haven't used 540 so can't comment on that one. 520 west from Claresholm I haven't used either, but do remember that when passing the junction on 22 that it is gravel at that end. Highway 40 is also a good highway, very scenic. It has a pass but I don't remember the grades being long or steep. Note that Highway 40 is closed until June 15.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
What would you like to know?
They are paved and in good condition, but I haven't used the 520 in years as I make better time crossing from 22 over to 2 on 533.
we usually use 533 to Nanton as short cut from 22, when we head to north eastern Calgary.
When we go to North western Calgary we go a different way...( grin)
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Padredw (myself) wrote:
Looks like either Highway 540 or 533 would be choices to go over to 22 and then to 40.

Is any of this a good idea? If so, which would be better 540 or 533?

My fault for intruding on an existing question. But since I'm here, I'd like to know about these connecting roads between 2 and 22?

Thanks

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid the city of Calgary , use the east ring road , Hwy 201 Stoney Trail. For those considering Hwy 40 , Longview to Hwy 1 , it's a good 2 lane road , nice scenery, and it takes you through the Highwood Pass , which is Canada's highest paved pass , at 7400 ft elevation.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump and Frank's Slide are places I would also recommend. It's having the time to see it all. As for driving through Calgary, there is a ring road on the east side that you can go around Calgary on, I believe and maybe the west side might be done by this summer coming????? I have always just driven through Calgary going south around noonish and just drove right through without a problem pulling my 5th wheel. It all depends on how much time you have to do what you want to, in order to see what you want to and how fast you want to drive to do that. Enjoy your trip.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's Head Smashed In. A world heritage site.

Frank's slide is of interest.

There is also the lovely Lundbreck water fall (and campground).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
I hope it will be OK for me to piggy-back on this thread to ask a similar question.

We too will be entering Canada at Sweetgrass/Milk River, but we would like to stay at Claresholm (I could change that.)

We will have all day to get from Claresholm to Banff where we have reservations at the Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court.

I have never been in this area and will be towing a 34' fifth-wheel, but I would like to take a scenic route. I was considering going over to Longview, AB to take 40 on up to 1.

Looks like either Highway 540 or 533 would be choices to go over to 22 and then to 40.

Is any of this a good idea? If so, which would be better 540 or 533?

We are not going until July, 2017. Have our reservations and passports, so am trying to make good plans. Thank you for any further observations.

I haven't done Alberta route 40, westnof Claisholm to Hwy 1, with my 5er dragging behind me. And I can't comment on that road.
But.... what son inlaw said, from driving logging truck in sountern Alberta, he says he wouldnt take his trailer on the road.
Take route 520 east from Clarsholm to Hwy 20 north to Hwy 1.
I have driven Hwy 20 all the way up to the Jct with Hwy 1 many times as the loggingbtruck driver I just talked about lived in Cochrane and I drove that route many times.
The Rockie Mountains will be out the drivers side window most of the way and it is an easy drive.
When you meet Hwy 1 there is a large truck stop file stop on the entrance to Hwy 1. If fuel is required or if your near 1/2 tank fill up here as the price is only going to go up from here to Banff and North to Jasper.

Also check out Nead Smash In Buffalo Jump just north west of Fort Macleod

Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Why not head farther west along I-90 or Hwy 2 and grab Hwy 97 north at some point as there are a lot of way to get to it.
Enter Canada at Osoyoos and follow Hwy 97 north to Prince George to Hwy 16 west to Kitwanga and then take Hwy 37 north past Stewart / Hyder to just west of Watson lake where you join up with the Alaska Hwy.
Then on the way home once at the Jct west of Watson Lake continue on the Alaska Hwy down to Dawson Creek, then east over to over to Grande Prairie, then south on Hwy 40 south through Grande Cashe where you will join up with Hwy 16 just east of Hinton Alberta and follow it west to Jasper where you will join up with the Ice Field Parkway.
Also,if you give the dates your coming through, it would have a better idea of the Salmon spawning ( bear viewing) at Stewart / Hyder.
Great route.
I pull a 33.5 ft 5th Wheel all over BC and Alberta, never had an issue, just never go down a hill any faster than you went up it.
Soup.